Welder ideas. Need opinions

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
I would really like to get a welder eventually but I have a problem.
It has to be 110 volt.
I do not have the means, or the option of running 220.

I would like a simple wire feed welder so I can make simple things and do repairs. I am not going to build cages, or suspensions with it.
I just want to make battery plates, weld on bungs, shock mounts, weld on angle iron to my steering, etc. Just really simple stuff.
Not having a welder to do the little things is holding me back if you know what I mean.

So what would you recommend? I looked at a welder at Lowes the other day.
It was a little over $400.00 and was a Lincoln
Linky:http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=177708-1703-K2159-1&lpage=none
I just dont know.

If any of you know what I could get into, or if you have any recomendations that would help me out.

MattL

I saw a hobart model, volt was 110 at the swap meet yesterday for 85 bucks. Looked a bit hammered but supposedly worked.

Might want to head there next weekend.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
ReadyWelder may be a good option

Why no option for 220? Electric dryers, and stoves have 220, any house should have 220 somewhere. Extension cords for welders can get expensive, but if you have a kitchen or laundry room close to the garage you may not need to change any wiring, just use a long extension.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
you really have no idea how easy it is to wire a garage for a 220 plug. It is ridiculously easy!! I did mine in about 20 minutes from the time I stepped in to the time I plugged in the welder and layed the first bead. Then again, my utility room with the electrical panel is on the other side of the wall from the garage so I just needed to drill a hole through the drywall and wire it up. It was EASY!!

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
spencurai said:
you really have no idea how easy it is to wire a garage for a 220 plug.....

Agreed, don't be afraid to add a new 220 circut, the question is if you are able to because this is a rental, or appartment, or other reasons where you don't have permission to do so.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Beerman said:
Thanks Shawn. I always forget that there is a lil button up there to use for these kinds of occasions. :rofl:

Jer
The 135 is not offered any more.... it's now a 140 ;)

Call Jake at Airgas.