welder q's

Brad Yates

airwalks are cool
so after some searching i know i need a bigger-the-better cylinder for C25 (75% CO2, 25% argon).
q#1: how safe would it be to mount this securely in a jeep?
q#2: is running a 115v welder even conceivable with a DC->AC converter? Specs on the welder say input amps is 20 and this beast puts out 19.2 A http://www.dcacpowerinverters.com/customkititems.asp?kc=PW2300-2AWG
q#3: where would be the cheapest place to buy (not rent) a cylinder. i googled it real quick and found this site. looking at the 80 ft^3 inert gas for $170 w/ free shipping. http://store.cyberweld.com/migaccessories1.html

give me what ya got. i'm just on a crazy tool collecting spree. and i still don't have a garage, but marriage is looking close :D

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If you want a portable in-the-Jeep welder, look at either an onboard engine-driven system or a Ready Welder. The ones you're looking at are for use at home.

Call Jake at Airgas here in SLC for pricing on gas cylinders before you order one in.

Last bit: Think hard before you spend money on a 110v welder. Depending on your uses, it could be an awesome machine, or you may find yourself wanting more.

cambam

Jaysen at humphries welding supply in spanish fork just gave me a great deal on a small tank. tell him spencer told you to call. he will take care of you.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I Lean said:
look at either an onboard engine-driven system or a Ready Welder. The ones you're looking at are for use at home.

Call Jake at Airgas here in SLC for pricing on gas cylinders before you order one in.

Last bit: Think hard before you spend money on a 110v welder. Depending on your uses, it could be an awesome machine, or you may find yourself wanting more.
Well put sir!:D

Brad Yates

airwalks are cool
wow that's a big price difference. not sure if it's because both your buddies aren't at work today, but Humphries prices for the 80 ft3 tank is the same as Airgas's 60 ft3 and same thing with fillups. And it's closer. the one in the link is still cheaper, but i'd rather support the locals.
as for not getting a 220v welder, it's a lot about the price in the short run and i don't think any of my outlets are 220v.
and this thing isn't going to be mobile, i was just wondering if it was possible.

Brad Yates

airwalks are cool
not saying that i checked the price on said welder, but if i did and if it was nice, how do you address the 220 input voltage? the welder i'm looking at is a used lincoln 135 amper for $350

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Do you have a clothes dryer? If it is electric, then you have 220. If not, then your life sucks more than previously known.

Bone Down

unless you are running a gas clothes dry you have a 220 there, could make and adapted extension cord for your welding.

There is also the stove (unless gas), but that one is a bit more difficult.

Not sure if you have one of these either, but I have a gas generater that puts out (hehe) 220v

Caleb

talking from experience here, ignore the price and evaluate your needs...I will promise you the 110 will not be enough for much. 110 can be a great addition to have around but I'd really suggest getting a 220V machine first. The 220V isn't too hard to add depending on where your breaker is and if there is room. Also, as others have pointed out, you stove and dryer are both likely to be 220V.

Brad Yates

airwalks are cool
nope. i'm in the dorms. the only electric dryer/stove we have is in the laudramat. but there's plenty in there... if only i can run a 100 ft HD extension cord out the door, around the patio, and into the parking lot.... how bout i get it for now and pass it down to the little bro later when i step up? i just can't see how i can run a 220v welder for another 2 years.

72Pony

My advice would be to wait unless all you plan to weld is sheet metal 110 welders are really good for that. I wouldn't go with anything less than a 150, as stated before the Hobart 180 is a good welder. I like dealing with Miller better though. I am not sure what the price difference is.

Bone Down

get the 220v and keep it at a friends or relatives and use it there, if you are going to buy a 110v and then just hand it down imo (im a tight wad) that is just wasteful.

Caleb

Brad Yates said:
nope. i'm in the dorms. the only electric dryer/stove we have is in the laudramat. but there's plenty in there... if only i can run a 100 ft HD extension cord out the door, around the patio, and into the parking lot.... how bout i get it for now and pass it down to the little bro later when i step up? i just can't see how i can run a 220v welder for another 2 years.

get an onboard welder then... ;)

Brad Yates

airwalks are cool
soo.... you evil people convinced me. I'd be into the whole thing a tid bit over $1000. or $1100 if i went with the Miller one, but I don't see any real difference between Hobarts 180 and Millers 175. The price includes a 50' extension cord. I found a perfect place to do my spring teardown :D

troutbum

cubi-kill
Brad Yates said:
if only i can run a 100 ft HD extension cord out the door, around the patio, and into the parking lot...

:rofl: make sure you have access to the breaker box for the dorms...also make sure it is a beefy cord, and that you don't weld anything critical

troutbum

cubi-kill
Brad Yates said:
soo.... you evil people convinced me. I'd be into the whole thing a tid bit over $1000. or $1100 if i went with the Miller one, but I don't see any real difference between Hobarts 180 and Millers 175. The price includes a 50' extension cord. I found a perfect place to do my spring teardown :D

Now that you are talked into the 220V take a look at the MM210 ;)

Cut the guy a break! I have a Lincoln 135 that is handy for small jobs. If you use the flux core wire you can do 1/4 or 5/16 easy. 3/8 in multi pass.

That being said, I agree with others in one way - I wouldn't try to use it with gas unless you are sticking to sheet metal.