welder Q's

My-yota

E-bays #1 customer
I'm about ready to buy a mig welder and was wondering what kind to buy. I will be using it from roll cage fab, to axle mod's. I hear Hobart is the choice of most guys fabbing this kind of stuff. Is a 140amp mig welder good for these apps?
I'm in the learning process here, just tired of the old stick welding thing!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
My-yota said:
I'm about ready to buy a mig welder and was wondering what kind to buy. I will be using it from roll cage fab, to axle mod's. I hear Hobart is the choice of most guys fabbing this kind of stuff. Is a 140amp mig welder good for these apps?
I'm in the learning process here, just tired of the old stick welding thing!

1)Name brand--Hobart, Miller, Lincoln, Esab....
2)220V power.

I currently have a Lincoln Pro-Mig 175, it's a great unit. I've used a Millermatic 210 extensively in the past, it's also a great welder if you need the extra power. I've used a Hobart 175, it seemed to work just dandy too, and it may cost a few dollars less than the Millers or Lincolns. (that's what I was kinda planning on getting when I bought my Lincoln, but I ended up getting the red one for the same money as the grey one)

Caleb

I Lean said:
1)Name brand--Hobart, Miller, Lincoln, Esab....
2)220V power.

I currently have a Lincoln Pro-Mig 175, it's a great unit. I've used a Millermatic 210 extensively in the past, it's also a great welder if you need the extra power. I've used a Hobart 175, it seemed to work just dandy too, and it may cost a few dollars less than the Millers or Lincolns. (that's what I was kinda planning on getting when I bought my Lincoln, but I ended up getting the red one for the same money as the grey one)
what he said...if you stick to the big names and 220V power you'll be fine. Like I Lean, I have used many different welders in the past and they all work fine, some have little features here and there but overall they all get the job done.

My-yota

E-bays #1 customer
Ok, so it's better to go with t e 22OV over the 110 obviously. How about using the gas with it? Expensive to fill? I know just about all highend mig welder have this option. Do you use it?

Caleb

I'd definitely use gas, the only time I don't use gas is if it's outside and it's windy, the gas will do no good in the wind. I't not too badly priced either, I had a medium sized bottle (don't remember the actual size) and it was about $30 to refill, mind you that would last for quite a while as long as I didn't let it leak out. I know the big bottle aren't a whole lot more to refill.