welding a tie rod/drag link

dirtydog

I'm welding up a drag link and tie rod, using parts from Ruff Stuff. I'm not at all worried about my welds failing, but I am wondering if the threads in the weld-in bungs will warp or deform in any way when I weld them in. Should I screw in the tie rod ends to weld the bungs? Or am I better off leaving them empty?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Personally, I don't leave the joints in the threads when welding, and rarely have an issue. Use something to plug/cover the threads so they don't get weld spatter on/in them. Wait for the metal to cool before trying to thread the joints back in, as hot metal expands and can make the threads too tight. There is a possibility of damage though, so if the joint doesn't thread in easily, don't push your luck - clean the threads with a thread chaser/tap. You can build a chaser from a sacrificial joint (old or used joint is fine as long as the threads are intact) with the proper thread by cutting flutes in it with a cut-off wheel or grinder. I always use anti-seize when assembling the link for the final time.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I've never had an issue with any of my RS inserts but I know others have. Like Bryson said just don't try to force it if it becomes hard to turn in. I've seen joints ruined that way.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I always run a tap down the threads just to be safe. I have had 2 heims gall up in an insert after welding, and nothing is more frustrating than that.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I would never install anything that threads in before welding. You're asking for trouble. I tap anything with threads after welding. After welding and cooling, my threads have been too tight 100% of the time. A tap fixes that and gives peace of mind.

thenag

I actually ruined a RS insert by having the TRE in while welding. I now have a nice DOM cheater bar with a weld in bung on one end.

Nathan

Kirk

I guess i got lucky - didn't even think about damaging the threads - I welded mine with the TRE installed. Threads seem to be fine. I did probably only do about 1/3 of the weld at a time - next time I will know.

Tan Comanche

Desert Speed Shock Tuning
If possible always tig weld the bungs. Better heat control, no spatter, etc. I prefer to leave the heim out when welding...haven't had an issue yet. And like mentioned above anti-seize is your friend.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk