welding cast aluminum

blznnp

So last night I was trying to put my transmission on my engine, and well, it wasn't going all the way and I made the stupid mistake of trying to use the bolts to suck the transmission in. needless to say, I broke a good chunk....two chunks off my belhousing. Just wondering if anyone can weld up cast aluminum? its about 5" of weld on one piece and a 1-1/2"-2" of weld on the other.IMG_2329.jpg

Ashcat

I don't have the resources to help but I could recommend once you're ready to assemble again to use/make some studs to help align the input shaft and trans assembly. This way you'll be trued up and can focus on rotating the output shaft to engage the disc while shoving the trans forward. Remove them once everything is mated and use the fastener of your choice.

Lining up transmissions both auto and manual is a beotch game of go or no go. I've had my share of impatient installs over the years and it's costed sheared bolts and broken pieces which costs time and money.

Good luck. There's gotta be somewhere here with a TIG willing to help out.

blznnp

A buddy of mine brought up an idea to me today, I am going to try it tomorrow and if it doesn't work, I'll let you know.