Welding/Fab work needed!

CobraNutt

I'm in the process of preparing my Jeep Liberty for a RTT. I've ordered a set of steel roof rails to replace the cheapo factory rails, and I want to have two, maybe three cross bars welded to them to support the RTT and box the whole top rack together. I hope to pick up the rails next week and would like to find someone to fab/weld the cross bars ASAP after that so I can get the whole thing powder coated and installed permanently. I assume the best way to do this is to install the rails in place, and weld or at least tack the cross bars to them while on the jeep. The plan would be to use rectangle tube for the cross bars. Anyone interested in tackling such a project? Lemme know and we can talk details and cost.

I also have another idea for a hitch mounted fuel can carrier that I might have you take a look at and give me a quote for if possible! I have a couple requests out there already, but couldn't hurt to get a couple more! Thanks!

~Gary

CobraNutt

Ok..since I've had a couple inquiries...here's the fuel carrier that I want to have built. It's a pretty simple design really...some angle iron, short hitch extension, 2" square steel tube, and some welding makes up most of it. I'd build it myself if I had garage space and a welder. But since have a single car garage inhabited by my Mustang, and I haven't touched a welder in 25 years, that's not really a good option. :)

Here are a couple online 3D renderings/models. I have tried to pull these up on my phone, but they don't work, so you'll probably need to see them on a laptop or desktop computer.

https://sketchfab.com/models/8497fa167f38458591b8ecbe49607144
https://sketchfab.com/models/1ba2bf3674f14b63b410b62e58f56877

Or...here are a couple screen captures from the links above... :)
JWD_HITCHCANS01-L.jpg

JWD_HITCHCANS-L.jpg

The original one built from the design is pictured below (red cans).
kj-hitchcans-tl-L.jpg

Here's another version that another guy made. I don't like the way the cans are mounted with the carriers welded to the top of the 2" arm. I prefer it be like the original design, but this pic gives a better view of the hitch area and how the arm pivots are setup. Details details... :)
IMG_8937-L.jpg

Anyway...Let me know if this is something you'd also be interested in tackling! Thanks!

Last edited:

carsonc1974

Just a heads up... The cans can't be moved closer to the body and over the bumper with the original design of the hinge... it wouldnt allow the cans to swing down out of the way.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

CobraNutt

Just a heads up... The cans can't be moved closer to the body and over the bumper with the original design of the hinge... it wouldnt allow the cans to swing down out of the way.

Ha! Good point....See...this is why I'm not an engineer! I'll fix that part of the post. Thanks!

reddman

Fabber
Ha! Good point....See...this is why I'm not an engineer! I'll fix that part of the post. Thanks!

I like it as a way to hold the spare and the fuel cans, but the idea of towing anything more than a tiny aluminum boat behind that seems like a good way to find yourself on the wrong side of a lawsuit.

CobraNutt

The spare is mounted on the rear gate of the Liberty already. This is just for fuel, and maybe a shovel and axe. I don't plan on towing anything behind with the carrier in place. :)

Sent from my own little galaxy...

Last edited:

carsonc1974

I may be willing to take this project on. Let me do some more research and I'll PM you