Welding issues... STILL

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
So I figured out that the welding wire had a thin layer of rust on it so it wasn't working too well. I replaced the welding wire with No Flux 030 wire and bought some new tips. Now when I weld it goes for a little while then it stops. It acts like I let of the trigger and it just stops working. If I hold the trigger for a minute it will start up again. Anyone know how to fix this thing or should I get rid of it?

BTW... it's a lincoln 100 W/gas assist.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
PierCed_3 said:
So I figured out that the welding wire had a thin layer of rust on it so it wasn't working too well. I replaced the welding wire with No Flux 030 wire and bought some new tips. Now when I weld it goes for a little while then it stops. It acts like I let of the trigger and it just stops working. If I hold the trigger for a minute it will start up again. Anyone know how to fix this thing or should I get rid of it?

BTW... it's a lincoln 100 W/gas assist.
Your duty cycle is kicking on. With this welder you may only be able to lay down a 1-2 inch weld before it needs to cool/rest.

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
Crap.....

Guess I better start looking for another one. What was the one you were using on the cage you are building?

Let's see some more pics of the cage and exo cage... :D

Andrew

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
James K said:
check the tension on the drive roller.

Would that cause it to shut down? With the old wire it would roll sporadically but still roll. The welder clicks when it stops going, same sound as when you let off the trigger.

I'll check into it tonight. Thanks for the info.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
PierCed_3 said:
Would that cause it to shut down? With the old wire it would roll sporadically but still roll. The welder clicks when it stops going, same sound as when you let off the trigger.

I'll check into it tonight. Thanks for the info.

does it shut down completely? or is the fan still running?

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
James K said:
does it shut down completely? or is the fan still running?

Fan still runs it just clicks. I was thinking that the gun itself might have a problem but I cannot confirm that is where the issue is.

EDIT: The weld wire doesn't have any current going through it either. It just stops welding, just like the trigger isn't pushed anymore.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
PierCed_3 said:
Would that cause it to shut down?
no,,, :rolleyes:

Your welder has a 20% duty cycle. It is a common issue with these smaller welders, that is why they are 100-$200.00. They are used for small repairs and hobies, not for general fabracation. The more duty cycle you have the longer it will run.

Spend the money and get a good welder if you plan on doing a fair amount of welding. Some say that all you need to do is pick a color and all welders are created equal. I dissagree, go for quality and service. Who will back up their product and who will be in business next year.

For now, practice, practice, practice have some patience with you duty cycle and when you are ready buy a Good Welder.

:)

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
Shawn said:
no,,, :rolleyes:

Your welder has a 20% duty cycle. It is a common issue with these smaller welders, that is why they are 100-$200.00. They are used for small repairs and hobies, not for general fabracation. The more duty cycle you have the longer it will run.

:)

Something just doesn't add up though. I understand the duty cycle but when I say it works for a minute then it shuts down, that was an understatement on my part. It will only weld for a few seconds then shut down. It does it in different intervals too. Sometimes it will work for 6 seconds, then it will only work for 2. It is really funky. Could the duty cycle be that short?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
PierCed_3 said:
Something just doesn't add up though. I understand the duty cycle but when I say it works for a minute then it shuts down, that was an understatement on my part. It will only weld for a few seconds then shut down. It does it in different intervals too. Sometimes it will work for 6 seconds, then it will only work for 2. It is really funky. Could the duty cycle be that short?
Are you coming this way any time soon? I'll be in the shop all night and all day Saturday. I'm more than happy to try and help ya out.

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
I wish I was.... I could use some help with this friggin thing. I don't get down that way too often anymore. I really appreciate the offer! I could if you need another 10$ tire ;).

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Here is your manual

http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e7200.pdf

20% duty cycle is low, but you should be able to weld 2 out of 10 minutes with it. I would expect to be able to weld for 2 minutes before it had to sit for 8 to cool off. When you first start out, turn on the machine for the first time in the day, strike that first arc. Does it last for close to 2 minutes, or is it seconds?

Also that 20% duty cycle is rated at full power. If you have the power turned down your duty cycle times go up. What is your power set to?

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
It is literally seconds. If it would last one minute then I could get something done. There must be something seriously F'd up with this thing. I have the power set to 3/4 full capacity. Should I lower it?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
PierCed_3 said:
It is literally seconds. If it would last one minute then I could get something done. There must be something seriously F'd up with this thing. I have the power set to 3/4 full capacity. Should I lower it?
open it up and see how dirty it is in side. Are the conections clean?

Zam Man

I had a problem sort of like that. Ended up being a wire that had broken right where the hose plugs into the front of the welder. I ended up replacing the trigger assembly and the hose thing that the wire goes through. Check the wire there it may be bad.