Welding question.

4x4phil

I can weld a good bead, but my concept of metal fusion is sub-par at best. I'm changing my axles on my yj and need to make a new spare tire carrier. I thought it'd be cool to use the outer flange from a rear drive shaft and weld it to the spare mount. It's obvoiusly a different kind of metal, but can it be done, and how?

jeeponthebrain

Moab...It calls to me
Welding

I am by no means an expert when it comes to welding (or anything else come to think of it:D ) but I do own a welder and have welded a few things, some with better results than others. I have never had a problem welding mild steel to mild steel for example: frames, axles tubes, rollcage tubing, misc. plates and bumper stuff. But I have had a problem welding mild steel to cast steel. When I welded my tourque strut to the center section of my tera60, the weld cracked, I tried it again and it cracked again. I tried to weld a broken part on my vise, which I assume is cast- the weld also cracked. I have tried to weld springs, they also crack. I have heard you can weld on cast with the right polarity/current:confused: AC vs. DC. I used my Mig on most of the examples. If you used a stick with a different rod, the results may vary. But what do I know?