welding spider gears

zukijames

I know there are alot of guys on here who don't believe in it but since there is no spool for fj 80 9.5 welded is the best option for me .. at this time.

I'm just looking for some of your opinions on how to weld them.

welding to carrier vs fozzy style

i like the idea of not welding to the carrier but i guess if i replace with a detroit or arb it wont matter if i have ruined / welded to the carrier

also how much do people charge on average to do it?

i had one that had been welded from mt. logan and never had a problem with it.

i dont know if i trust my self to set it back up and have the correct backlash.

I may go with a modified 12 bolt spool..

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If you just weld the gears to each other, you'll still never get them out of the carrier again--so effectively you've ruined the carrier anyway, so you may as well weld everything to everything. :)

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
If you just weld the gears to each other, you'll still never get them out of the carrier again--so effectively you've ruined the carrier anyway, so you may as well weld everything to everything. :)

Agreed Turn your welder up nice and hot and just weld everything you can I have always welded the gears to the carrier.

zukijames

carl what if you just fill the gears with weld like a fozzy style?

but to me that seems that the little bit of slip could cause alot of stress when it does lock up

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
then all the stress is on the crosspin. I have never seen one break but I have heard of them breaking. FWIW

zukijames

okay i've heard on toyota and zuk 3rds you can just mark the adjusters and pull it apart and put it back together and it still be okay?

but that sounds sketchy to me and i dont have a feeler gauge thing to measure the thousands of inch backlash..

also heard of guys welding it while still in the 3rd but that seams like a lot of heat to me

thanks for the quick responses guys

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
carl what if you just fill the gears with weld like a fozzy style?

but to me that seems that the little bit of slip could cause alot of stress when it does lock up

I know there are people who swear by that method, but I've never tried it. Welding a carrier is sketchy enough, so I don't skimp on the weld. Fill the damn thing up solid if you want to, just keep it out of the splines. :D

On the adjusters--if you mark where they are now, then you can reinstall the adjusters in the same rotation--but not necessarily the same backlash or preload you had before. The right way is to measure the backlash before taking it apart, then set it back to the same measurement after welding. That way also allows you to check backlash in a few different spots around the ring gear, to see if you warped your carrier.

zukijames

carl i dont have away to measure the backlash .. how much would you charge to weld it up and set it back up for me?

I wish they made a spool for it .. or the e lockers didnt suck.

tony moniz

FWIW when i take 'em apart i only spin one side back about 2 turns. thats enough to get it out, then when i put it back in you can just spin the one side back the 2 turns and it should be close. close enough for me anyways. it hasn't failed me yet.

O'neal

?????????
James....You dont need to completley dissassemble the third to weld it.Pull the third,spray it out,squirt a bunch of brake cleaner,royal purple or whatever and respray it again to get it clean.Find you some 1/2 thick flat stock and modify to fit between the spiders,pack both sides of the splines with WET rags,then pack a wet rag down into the pinion and around the ring gear to protect them and burn it all in,DONE!

I've been wheelin welded thirds since I have been wheelin and have NEVER had one bit of problems with one failing....They have also seen waaayyy more street miles than playin.

thenag

James....You dont need to completley dissassemble the third to weld it.Pull the third,spray it out,squirt a bunch of brake cleaner,royal purple or whatever and respray it again to get it clean.Find you some 1/2 thick flat stock and modify to fit between the spiders,pack both sides of the splines with WET rags,then pack a wet rag down into the pinion and around the ring gear to protect them and burn it all in,DONE!

I've been wheelin welded thirds since I have been wheelin and have NEVER had one bit of problems with one failing....They have also seen waaayyy more street miles than playin.

MAKE SURE THE BRAKE CLEANER IS NON-CHLORINATED!

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

(I guess it only applies to TIG but still...)

Nathan

tony moniz

i have never pulled mine to weld 'em either. when i'm done i just spray the $#it out of it 'till it quits making a grinding sound from the slag that gets chipped off. haaaa

poorboyzdreamz

poorboyzdreamz
Weld the piss out of it.
I've only seen one welded rear break and only the spider/ side gears were welded together.

I welded the 35 in my YJ after the spiders chunked out. I was concerned that I would break a shaft but instead it snapped the case at the cross shaft and ripped the ring gear apart. Now we're rockin a spooled 9"