welding up the rear end

jardine

should i weld up my 14 bolt rear end? if not do you have any thoughts of what i should do? is this a hard thing to do and will it hold up well. the truck will not be drove on the road.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Weld that sucker. You'll need to pull the differential apart so that you can gain access to the spider gears and weld them to the case, but it's not too hard to do. Make sure you use a good welder. I am sure that there are a few folks on this board that have done this and can tell you in more detail what you'll need to expect.

jardine

Brett said:
Weld that sucker. You'll need to pull the differential apart so that you can gain access to the spider gears and weld them to the case, but it's not too hard to do. Make sure you use a good welder. I am sure that there are a few folks on this board that have done this and can tell you in more detail what you'll need to expect.

hey man thanks for the input. now is there anyone who wants to explain how to do this to me in detail

Caleb

here is prolly the best article I ahve come across on the net for welding a 14 bolt...

I can tell you this, altough I have never welded a 14 bolt I did weld up my 60s and its super easy to do on them...like Brett said though, on the 14 bolt you do have to pull it apart...

Caleb

jardine said:
would i be able to weld up my 10 bolt front also?

yeah, it does make it more difficult to steer though, welding up a 10 bolt would not take much time at all...

jardine

hey thanks for your input again i just read that article and i think im gonna rip apart my 14 tomorrow and try it out.

harkinoff

something to do...
Shawn and I welded up my 14 bolt the way that article explains, plus added some welds.. Saved the carrier that way. I liked how the welded 14 bolt handled but it totally sucks in tight places. Its hard on everything welded. I then went detroit and wouldn't have it any other way...I say welded sucks.

Last edited:

O'neal

?????????
I say weld it also...Both of mine are welded solid w/little plate's in between the spiders.I recent;I welded up my buddies rear end in his 72 jeep,Since he had the rearend out to put in a lift,I talked him in to letting me weld it-loves it..
It has it's drawbacks,And alway's getting dirty look's in the walmart parking lot :rofl: But bieng poor it's the only way for now...been running both for a couple year's with no breakage and numerous miles including lot's of wheelin and I'm happy with them :D :) ...

ace

Parts Collector
Supergper said:
here is prolly the best article I ahve come across on the net for welding a 14 bolt...

I can tell you this, altough I have never welded a 14 bolt I did weld up my 60s and its super easy to do on them...like Brett said though, on the 14 bolt you do have to pull it apart...

Just to add, the guy who wrote this article ran this for a year before discovering that it was coming apart on him and has since switched to a detroit.

berrett

ace said:
Just to add, the guy who wrote this article ran this for a year before discovering that it was coming apart on him and has since switched to a detroit.

thats cause that is a stupid way to weld it. take it apart then weld the gears TOGETHER and then to the case. i have a welded 14bolt in my wagoneer and i love it (except for in parking lots).

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
berrett said:
thats cause that is a stupid way to weld it. take it apart then weld the gears TOGETHER and then to the case. i have a welded 14bolt in my wagoneer and i love it (except for in parking lots).

I have never done this but it seems like you could run into trouble with getting the side gears perfectly aligned because you can not weld with the carrier assembled. A 14 bolt Detroit is so cheap I can't see a reason not to run one.