Went to the DMV today!!

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Like it says, I went down to the DMV to license the Willys. It's the first time I've had to go down there for about 8 years. (Use the Internet renewal usually) Had to go in person because we have never transferred the ownership from my Dad legally. Anyway week before Memorial is probably the worst time to go, but it only took a little over an hour. :rolleyes: Anyway the lady at the DMV tells me that because the Willys is more than 40 years old I can license it as an "Vintage Vehicle", and it won't have to be registered again until it is sold to someone else. I just have to get it inspected every year. Thought I would share this cool little tidbit with ya'll.

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't that mean you can legally run without flaps and flares? That is what Scott at 4 Wheel parts did with his flatty. You are only supposed to drive said vehicle in good weather and during daylight hours also.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Hickey said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't that mean you can legally run without flaps and flares? That is what Scott at 4 Wheel parts did with his flatty. You are only supposed to drive said vehicle in good weather and during daylight hours also.

If thats true, that would be AWESOME :greg:

Rickomatic

Grey is cool!
Vintage vehicles:

* Even though there is no annual renewal process, a yearly safety inspection test and certificate is required and must be carried in the vehicle at all times.
* Property taxes must be paid each year.
* An update to the registration information is required July 1, every five years beginning from year 1995 (again in 2000, 2005, etc.)

41-21-4. Minimum safety equipment inapplicable.
The provisions of this title relating to minimum safety equipment are not applicable to vehicles properly registered under Title 41, Chapter 1a, Part 2, Registration, so long as the original equipment, on the vehicle at the time of its manufacture, is in good operating condition or has been replaced by equal or more efficient equipment in good working order and the vehicle is not operated in a manner or at a time that would constitute a public nuisance or create a hazard to other automobiles or persons.

Amended by Chapter 1, 1992 General Session

Last edited:

utahxjer

Hickey said:
Seems like there was a thread on here about it. I'll look for it.

* Even though there is no annual renewal process, a yearly safety inspection test and certificate is required and must be carried in the vehicle at all times.
* Property taxes must be paid each year.

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Hickey said:

Not sure about the flaps and flares thing. I'll probably put some removable flaps on it anyway.

AS far as the good weather and daylight hours-- I thought about it and that's when it is driven 99% of the time anyway. I doubt the cops would hassle you too much if your out late in your flatty- Not really a priority to most cops. ( Of course I can see it now- COPS bad boyz bad boyz whatcha gonna do? Filmed on location in SLC) Freeze!!! Get down on the ground!!! Your BUSTED Mister--Driving a Vintage Vehicle after dark!!! Did you really think you could get away with it??

Last edited: