Western CO exploration trip

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The wife & I are thinking about doing an overnight trip to the Dolores Triangle this weekend, April 25-26th. The plan is to drive from Grand Junction on Sat morning down to Gateway.

From Gateway, head up the steep Sheep Creek Road, which I hear has been recently repaired after washing out last year. From Sheep Creek road, explore the Dolores Triangle area, I really want to drive to the top of Steamboat Mesa. After that, head over to Granite Creek, down near where it meets the Dolores River. Camp next to Granite Creek, then take an easy drive home by the way of DS Road into Glade Park.

Anyone want to join us? We'll probably be in the FJ80, it's pretty easy stuff, but has some very rocky/bumpy sections, in addition to crossing Granite Creek, which is probably raging with snow runoff. The road up to the Dolores Triangle, Sheep Creek Road, is very steep and has some tight switchbacks, so being OK with heights and a narrow road is required. Most everything else should be easy 2WD stuff.

Greg

Admin
Some pics from a previous trip last year, for reference-

This is Sheep Creek Road... :eek:
391637720_X4fCe-M.jpg

But the view from the top is very rewarding...
391634031_rMU3C-M.jpg

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Looks beautiful. When is this trip going to take place?

Sorry, just read the "this weekend" part. would love to go, but with an unexpected trip to Moab next weekend, don't think I could pull it off.

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Looks beautiful. When is this trip going to take place?

Sorry, just read the "this weekend" part. would love to go, but with an unexpected trip to Moab next weekend, don't think I could pull it off.

Not a problem, I added dates to avoid any further confusion. It is an amazingly remote area and sees very little travel. Too cool up there. :cool:

Greg

Admin
Its an awesome trip Greg. I did it a couple years ago with the RR4W's.

Which route did the RR4W trip take, La Sals to John Brown & Gateway, then up Sheep Creek and eventually crossing the Dolores?

We've spent quite a bit of time in that area, always love getting back in there again. We're lucky to have a place like that so close to home.

Greg

Admin
How far from grand junction is this place? Also do you now what the weather is going to be like out there?

Gateway is about 90 min from Grand Junction. Weather is supposed to be pretty nice, partly-cloudy, 70's in the day, mid-40's at night in Gateway. Temps will probably a bit cooler up on the Dolores Triangle, since it's at a higher elevation than Gateway. It ought to be perfect weather for a fun trip.

snake

SNAKE
I have a friend that lives in junction and I will se if he is able to come along. What time do you think you would be back in junction on sunday?

snake

SNAKE
Sorry I cant come this weekend my boss told me today I had to work this weekend. I would really like to come out there sometime but it will have to wait.

Greg

Admin
Sorry I cant come this weekend my boss told me today I had to work this weekend. I would really like to come out there sometime but it will have to wait.

That's too bad!

Im still a maybe. What time were you thinking of heading out saturday??

I'd like to be on the road by 10 AM, we could meet at the DOT/Carpool lot out by Whitewater at 10:30 AM.