What are all my broadband internet options?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
We'll be moving into our house soon (this week, hopefully). We will need to get internet very soon. At this point cheaper is better than faster (new mortgage = scary). We will not have a home phone line, so any options that require that are out. Back before we were homeless we had Comcast. We were very happy with it, but I'd like something cheaper. What are my options? Can you get DSL now without a phone line? Is Qwest the only provider? Are there any good wireless options? I remember Blue Zone from a while back, are they still around?

Edjumacate me!

JeeperG

RockMonkey said:
We'll be moving into our house soon (this week, hopefully). We will need to get internet very soon. At this point cheaper is better than faster (new mortgage = scary). We will not have a home phone line, so any options that require that are out. Back before we were homeless we had Comcast. We were very happy with it, but I'd like something cheaper. What are my options? Can you get DSL now without a phone line? Is Qwest the only provider? Are there any good wireless options? I remember Blue Zone from a while back, are they still around?

Edjumacate me!

As far as I know DSL is on phone line only.

www.thebluezone.com

But if there is no cable or dsl your stuck with wireless. Satellite I hear sucks? You should be able to use a local wireless provider. Well if you are in a straight shot of another radio or something, You can pick up wireless form a LONG ways with the right antenna. Maybe a good Parabolic?

Or one of these, they are always cheap on the monthly payments;)

When I had wireless the monthly payment was a little cheaper then comcast but the initial payment of wireless equipment was like $200

Caleb

you can get DSL without a phone line (well you need the physical line but you don't need a dial tone), but it does cost a little more without a phone line, usually about $5 more a month. If you go through Qwest and use their MSN ISP then you can get the whole thing for about $35 or so a month. I like what I saw at Bluezone but two issues I saw with them. First is availability, being wireless you'd think it would be available anywhere but it's not, it's actually quite limited. Second is you are limited to a certain amount of transfer a month, I don't remember how much but it wasn't much. If you just plan on doing email and some surfing you'll be fine, but if you plan to download songs and movies (or anything larger) you'll likely be going over your allowed transfer.

Last edited:

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
When we were thinking of getting rid of the home phone, Qwest wanted $8 a month to keep the line open, and then the $35 ish for DSL....Qwest is the line provider in the Valley for DSL no matter who you use....I had Earthlink through the qwest line, now Qwest on the qwest line....not using MSN;)
So far I like it.
I wish BlueZone was available here, but....
I bet you can get a good deal on a verizon wireless card:p

olywrestle

Duct Tape
DSL is available without a phone line (dial tone) you would be in the neighbor hood of $35.99 per month with their promo they are running right now. And you can even get that promo using qwest.net instead of MSN.....

So you really got the three big options...

Qwest DSL
Comcast Cable
Wireless (not sure on all providers)

But you also have to check on availability fo the DSL and Cable since it is not everywhere

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
At the homeless shelter we've been living in we've been on Qwest DSL. It's noticeably slower than our comcast was, but definitely tolerable, when it's not down... I'll have to check which DSL package they have. I can get a great deal on a wireless card, but you can't use a router with it for my Tivo.

Caleb

EKSJAE said:
i think for a few extra bucks you would be better off with the comcast. after having dial up and dsl, i will never do anything but cable internet. its absolutely worth the extra money.
problem is, it's not just a few extra bucks...it's about double the cost (not quite, but close). If I was looking for a low cost solution but still having broadband I'd go with Qwest (or get the comcast $19.99 a month deal and then threaten to cancel after it and they will usually give you another 3-6months at the reduced rate :p).

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
Supergper said:
problem is, it's not just a few extra bucks...it's about double the cost (not quite, but close). If I was looking for a low cost solution but still having broadband I'd go with Qwest (or get the comcast $19.99 a month deal and then threaten to cancel after it and they will usually give you another 3-6months at the reduced rate :p).

the comcast is cheaper than i was spending for dial up. (only because i dont have to pay for a home phone line through Qwest)

i pay about $85.00 a month for internet(comcast) tv (comcast) and home phone(vonage).

Caleb

you were getting screwed on dial-up then :p

comcast internet alone is about $55 a month, with taxes and fees its over $60 a month. If you have TV through comcast you get $10 off your internet. That's still over $50 a month just for internet, where Qwest is (as already pointed out) only $35 a month. ($42 for nearly the same speeds as comcast, actually faster uploads).

JeeperG

bobdog said:
I have the bluezone. For the money it can't be beat.

How is it? speeds, reliability etc? Last I checked it wasnt available here, but I see a bunch of there antennas up the street on peoples roofs.

Also what does everybody think about the idea of BPL? I think it is a baaad idea. I hear it would even mess up Ham radios, etc.

Last edited:

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
Qwest is WAY too hard to deal with. Their support is a joke and they screw their customers over. Besides that Comcast delivers a better product. Im not saying they're perfect, but I wouldnt even consider Qwest for anything (cell phone, internet... ) except long distance.

Caleb

AINT SKEERED said:
Qwest is WAY too hard to deal with. Their support is a joke and they screw their customers over. Besides that Comcast delivers a better product. Im not saying they're perfect, but I wouldnt even consider Qwest for anything (cell phone, internet... ) except long distance.
how so? IMO, after dealing with both companies I think Comcast does way more screwing over of customers. Plus, comcast is charging $60 for less than what other cable companies in other markets are charging $20-$30 for. Comcast is raping us because we have no other options. Why do you think Comcast and Qwest are the biggest players in the lobby against UTOPIA? UTOPIA will bring fiber (super fast speeds) to tons of people for a fraction of the cost of cable or DSL.

FWIW, I DO have comcast, I just think they are the biggest crooks out there.

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
The more than unlimited thing is lame, I fail to understand the reasoning behind that.

My experience with Qwest is mostly their cell phone service. They were on the news several times for violating contracts. I just assumed the internet service would be the same story.

I've had Comcast for a year and in that time the internet has been "out" twice. Both times were subtracted from my bill (prorated value). Every time I have an issue ,my fault or not, their service is very helpful and fast. Ive never had to sit on hold. If need be they have someone at the house within 3-4 days.

My bill is $200 a month. That includes top tier cable, every movie channel, in 4 rooms and the the fastest internet. The internet itself is about $70 with tax I believe. Alot yes...

Caleb

AINT SKEERED said:
My bill is $200 a month. That includes top tier cable, every movie channel, in 4 rooms and the the fastest internet. The internet itself is about $70 with tax I believe. Alot yes...

Thats about what I am spending on Comcast as well, top tier but I have HD. I like the internet and my wife likes the TV :D

Meat_

Banned
AINT SKEERED said:
The more than unlimited thing is lame, I fail to understand the reasoning behind that....
I did too, and so did the local Comcast guys when I told them about a message someone had left me... they told me that made no sense and to continue as usual. The following month my internet suddenly went out, after several days of calling around I finally got told that I was abusing my connection and that I was degrading the service for everyone else in my area. The funny thing is (and I pointed this out to them) that I was the ONLY person on a fiber fed node, no one else in my neighborhood even had TV let alone internet. They mumbled something about me using 300% of the average user and remained bull headed, they wouldn't even let me get an "unlimited" business account for $99/month.

I do have some disconnect issues on DSL but I'm on well over 18k feet of line that has been spliced 7~10 times on my road alone and changes gauges 3 times, most of it is also well over 30 years old. (18k feet is the "limit" of DSL tech) Since I replaced the line from the pole to my house I get very few disconnects and they are simple resyncs. My Comcast connection was awesome though, as it should be for all brand new lines with a fiber fed node about 700 yards from me, although the upload speed on Comcast was/is terrible.

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
Meat_ said:
I did too, and so did the local Comcast guys when I told them about a message someone had left me... they told me that made no sense and to continue as usual. The following month my internet suddenly went out, after several days of calling around I finally got told that I was abusing my connection and that I was degrading the service for everyone else in my area. The funny thing is (and I pointed this out to them) that I was the ONLY person on a fiber fed node, no one else in my neighborhood even had TV let alone internet. They mumbled something about me using 300% of the average user and remained bull headed, they wouldn't even let me get an "unlimited" business account for $99/month.

I do have some disconnect issues on DSL but I'm on well over 18k feet of line that has been spliced 7~10 times on my road alone and changes gauges 3 times, most of it is also well over 30 years old. (18k feet is the "limit" of DSL tech) Since I replaced the line from the pole to my house I get very few disconnects and they are simple resyncs. My Comcast connection was awesome though, as it should be for all brand new lines with a fiber fed node about 700 yards from me, although the upload speed on Comcast was/is terrible.

What do you use all that bandwidth for? I download alot of music and movies but its never been an issue. I would hate to get "shut down".

I just tested my upload and got 737 Kbps. My download is another story though... :ugh:

JF1

I've had Bluezone for almost a year now and no problems. I don't know what their customer service is like since I haven't had to call them for anything yet.