What are all my broadband internet options?

Meat_

Banned
AINT SKEERED said:
What do you use all that bandwidth for? I download alot of music and movies but its never been an issue. I would hate to get "shut down".

I just tested my upload and got 737 Kbps. My download is another story though... :ugh:
ummmm nothing? :ugh: The first month they called I had something like 265GB's of xfer and the month they shut me off I had 256GB's of xfer

At the time the base package was 3Mb/256 I was paying +$10 for 4Mb/384 the day they cut me off the base package went to my speed and I was supposed to go to 6Mb/384..... and the business package was 7Mb/512, unless they have made some MAJOR changes I think the site you used to test your speed is a bit unreliable.

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
Meat_ said:
ummmm nothing? :ugh: The first month they called I had something like 265GB's of xfer and the month they shut me off I had 256GB's of xfer

At the time the base package was 3Mb/256 I was paying +$10 for 4Mb/384 the day they cut me off the base package went to my speed and I was supposed to go to 6Mb/384..... and the business package was 7Mb/512, unless they have made some MAJOR changes I think the site you used to test your speed is a bit unreliable.

I have 6/768. Theres supposed to be an upgrade to 8/768. But its been supposed to happen for atleast 6 months.

I use alot... bearshare... and my sister games 4+ hours a day and nothing has come up. 265 gb is a helluva lot though.

EDIT: I used testmy.net If you have a site in mind I'll use that and double check the results.

Last edited:

Caleb

AINT SKEERED said:
I have 6/768. Theres supposed to be an upgrade to 8/768. But its been supposed to happen for atleast 6 months.

I use alot... bearshare... and my sister games 4+ hours a day and nothing has come up. 265 gb is a helluva lot though.

EDIT: I used testmy.net If you have a site in mind I'll use that and double check the results.
torrents will soak up more bandwidth then any gaming or peer-to-peer program...huh Meat_ :rofl:

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
i have never tested my connection before. according to testmy.net my download speed is 23% faster than comcast average. but my upload speed is 56% of comcast average, and like 300% slower than industry standard for cable connection.

why is comcast so bad with upload speed?

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
EKSJAE said:
i have never tested my connection before. according to testmy.net my download speed is 23% faster than comcast average. but my upload speed is 56% of comcast average, and like 300% slower than industry standard for cable connection.

why is comcast so bad with upload speed?

Because its expensive... and comcast likes profit. As stated earlier, they pretty much have a monopoly on the market. However they do put out a good product.

Upload isnt very important for most people. And the upload/download speed will vary depending on your location.

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
EKSJAE said:
it would be nice to have another cable company in the valley to give them some competition. my brother in law only pays like 25 bucks, or something close to that, in boise.

Dish network does somewhat compete with them in the tv department. But theyre all alone in broadband.

78mitsu

I just wanted to chime in here a little just to clear up some maybe mis-information, as far as cable vs. DSL, Yes I work for a Telco so I'm biased, but this information isn't.

Cable TV and DSL are virtually equally matched as far as upload and download capabilities, ADSL2p or VDSL2 are rate limited to about 40Mbps physically, Cable can make about 38Mbps, but there are newer compression technologies that are pushing it around 44Mbps, upstream is a different story, DSL will run up to ~940Mb Uncompressed, Catv tops out at about 1100Mbps Uncompressed, However, the Catv upload speed is based on timeslots like a radio, think about it this way, cable tv is like one guy giving a speech at a pulpit(downstream) he controls the flow of data down, he can talk to everyone in the room or just one or two people. now for the upstream, everyone can't talk to him at the same time because there is common media air as it were, so each person would have to raise their hand in turn and be allowed to speak back to the speaker, CATV reduces the effects of this by reducing the number of nodes per cluster, but basically your upload speed must be cut everytime an additional person is added to the network.

Contrast that to DSL, one person up one person down no RTS CTS to hold it down.

The disadvantage of DSL is it is federally regulated, the gobernment sets how much speed you can have up and down and WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT, catv is not regulated and can do whatever they want and pick how much you pay, if they wanted to, they could eat a DSL providers lunch as far as price goes.

and both are heavily dependant on the modem, newer modems are capable of significantly better speeds so upgrade, it is worth it.

Wireless is a pure radio technology, it is completely time slot based (best effort), which means that the more people you add to it the less bandwith you receive. Also rain-fade and other problems come in to play. Wireless should be a last option.

-just mnsho

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Talk to a neighbor and see if they are willing to share their connection via wireless.

And by talk, I mean just see if they are openly broadcasting.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
78mitsu said:
Wireless is a pure radio technology, it is completely time slot based (best effort), which means that the more people you add to it the less bandwith you receive. Also rain-fade and other problems come in to play. Wireless should be a last option.

-just mnsho
I think a lot of wireless is who runs it (similar to any other type of connection). I'm happy with mine and even if cable or DSL were available I would stay where I'm at.
Speed tests :greg:
(I picked to LA for the test)
dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-08-08 20:29:56 EST:
1986 / 1459
Your download speed : 1986 kbps or 248.2 KB/sec.

Your upload speed : 1459 kbps or 182.3 KB/sec.

JF1

78mitsu said:

-just mnsho

Funny then that wireless has been the most trouble and worry free for me. But I haven't had it that long so we'll see how it goes.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Spork said:
I think a lot of wireless is who runs it (similar to any other type of connection). I'm happy with mine and even if cable or DSL were available I would stay where I'm at.
Speed tests :greg:
(I picked to LA for the test)
dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-08-08 20:29:56 EST:
1986 / 1459
Your download speed : 1986 kbps or 248.2 KB/sec.

Your upload speed : 1459 kbps or 182.3 KB/sec.

I was bored....Choose LA too.

"dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-08-08 23:08:45 EST:
3458 / 589
Your download speed : 3458 kbps or 432.2 KB/sec.
That is 77.6% better than an average user on qwest.net

Your upload speed : 589 kbps or 73.6 KB/sec.
That is 6.3% worse than an average user on qwest.net"

Brett

Meat-Hippy
dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-08-08 23:22:18 EST:
4834 / 1117
Your download speed : 4834 kbps or 604.3 KB/sec.

Your upload speed : 1117 kbps or 139.7 KB/sec.

78mitsu

Brett said:
dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-08-08 23:22:18 EST:
4834 / 1117
Your download speed : 4834 kbps or 604.3 KB/sec.

Your upload speed : 1117 kbps or 139.7 KB/sec.

Let me Try:

Your downloade speed: 16384 kbps or 2048 KB/sec.
Your Upload speed: 834 kbps or 104.25 KB/sec.
(so I know where the button is to set max speed to null :))

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Herzog said:
Talk to a neighbor and see if they are willing to share their connection via wireless.

And by talk, I mean just see if they are openly broadcasting.
This has been my course of action so far. "Talking" to my neighbors has revealed at least two who are willing to share. Here's my results from testmy.net

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::
Download Connection is:: 2390 Kbps about 2.39 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)
Download Speed is:: 292 kB/s
Upload Connection is:: 367 Kbps about 0.37 Mbps (tested with 748 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 45 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net (Server 1)

I wonder what kind of connection it is and who's paying for it? :D