What are symtom's of a plugged cat?

O'neal

?????????
What are symtom's of a plugged cat? Lately my 22r has been running alittle off for about 2 week's.Some day's it will run cool 160,other time's it run's hot 195-200+(i'm using a autolite mech gauge).Currently There is no thermostat(ran hot when in),still run's cool to warm,and every time I get out I grab the exhaust where it exit's behind the rear wheel and I can't hold it for more than 3 sec it's pretty hot back there.

Caleb

while heat is a common symptom loss of power is a more liekly sypmtom that you would notice (real loss of power)...part of your problem with running with out a thermostat is cooling systems are designed to have that restriction...running without it doesn't let the coolant absorb enough heat thus sometimes making you run even hotter...first thing I would do is go buy a new t-stat thats the correct temp range for you truck (your engine is designed to run at a certain temp range, so too cool or too hot can both have negative effects on your performance) then go from there...

hammerhead

Junkyard Dog
A plugged up Catalytic converter will usually have a constipated sound and feel sluggish in the higher RPMs.

Do like Super said and start with a new thermostat. If the engine didn't need it they wouldn't put one in virtually every car on the market. The old school practice of removing a thermostat has been misunderstood in later years. That is supposed to be a quick fix to get you home and not a cure for an overheating problem...

KToy

if u buy a tstat and it does not come with a small hole in it.

drill a tiny hole in the metal of it before install. this will help ur engine leak a tiny bit of antifreeze in that is cool and it lets ur engine warm up quicker.

also just take ur cat off and see if u got more power then ull know for sure

muleskinner

Qiuck way to check if its bad- Warm your truck up and take a temp reading on both sides of the cat. if its good they will be close, if its bad they will be different.

chevtech

Seasoned Mall Cruiser
muleskinner said:
Qiuck way to check if its bad- Warm your truck up and take a temp reading on both sides of the cat. if its good they will be close, if its bad they will be different.

Actually that is backwards. It will be hotter when it comes out if the cat is working due to the burning of fuel in the cat itself........

bigchev79

muleskinner said:
your right, my bad. It's been a while :D

well your both kinda right if your cats pluged it will read hot in the front like about 500 degrees or more because the ehauths cant excape. a normal cat will read about 300 degrees gov or take with one side a little hotter that the other or mabey even the same depending on how hard the mortor had to work befor takeing the measerment

a nather thing is the cat might be hollow haveing all the sermanic blown out when its cool smack it with your hand and see if you get a rattel if you do thats bad the stuff it breaking up inside

also if your veical is bilt after 96 your cat can affet how your motor runs and if its not up to par you comp will try to compensate for it thats why you cant sinply take them off after 96

by the way put your thermostat back in there only 3.00$

Last edited:

chevtech

Seasoned Mall Cruiser
Never thought about the temp difference due to a restriction. We always would just check back-pressure upstream from the cat.

We'll call it a draw muleskinner........;)

:rofl: :rofl:

O'neal

?????????
Thank's for all the replies.I finally got around to working on it this last week(been way too busy) I put a 195 thermo with the small hole off to the side,checked the clutch fan and water pump last night.Rechecked the timing and let it idle for around 20 min and took it for a spin around town this morn,it ran around 185 by the gauge.
I'm waiting for the wife to get back and i'm going to go out a check out some local wheelin spot's(get some pic's :ugh:)maybe see what the local deer hunter's are up too....
The test will be runnin down the highway,22r 4:10s rolling 35's maybe that's why it run's hot :rolleyes: