What are the output spines on 89's XJ's AW 4

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Good luck... You really won't know For Sure unless you drop the t-case. Mine happened to be 21 spline (89 XJ, I6, AW4) and I had to know when I order my atlas... Everybody I talked to told me there is no certain way to tell, and then I found out there was a production date split between the two different splines in 1988 and 89. Really weird crap... If I was to bet, I would bet on 21 spline in your application.

mojeepn

Neons are cool
Well, it never fails. Whenever there's a project to be done, there's always a question mark floating around that says find out when you get there, and we might be spending a grundle because you guessed wrong. Erg. This is why I got rid of the zuk.

Caleb

Originally posted by Herzog
Good luck... You really won't know For Sure unless you drop the t-case. Mine happened to be 21 spline (89 XJ, I6, AW4) and I had to know when I order my atlas... Everybody I talked to told me there is no certain way to tell, and then I found out there was a production date split between the two different splines in 1988 and 89. Really weird crap... If I was to bet, I would bet on 21 spline in your application.

I stand corrected...maybe:D...wasn;t the AW4 available behind the 4cyl as well as the 6 cyl??? just curious:confused:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
OH man, that kinda stuff is Jeep religion. Jeep has always had goofy stuff like that, espiecially on trannys. I'm gonna guess 23 spline, let me know what I win..

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by supergper

I stand corrected...maybe:D...wasn;t the AW4 available behind the 4cyl as well as the 6 cyl??? just curious:confused:

Like you said, maybe... :D I think AW4 only came behind I6. Not really sure though. I've never seen a 4 cylinder automatic cherokee in person and checked it out, and my memory fails me right now. I used to have this crap memorized!

I'm still betting 21 spline, even though there was a split in 89, the 23 spline in automatics didn't make a solid appearence until after 1991 or 92. One of those years...

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Still betting that it's 21 spline...

The spline count pre '91 was 21. It changed to 23 in '91 with the High Outputs

Also, I had the NP242 case. I'm not sure if that even makes a difference. I doubt it though.

mojeepn

Neons are cool
Would you happen to know those dates? All the original dates on the stickers are still there. My truck is in great shape and has everything working (all the weird lights even like under the hood that never work more then a year). Very ironic that a MAIN PART doesn't work.

mojeepn

Neons are cool
You're going to have to talk to me like I"m stupid because, well as far as this goes I am. Is this a different tranny then? How will I know if it will work? Is there someone who has any resources on this? I don't know if the aw4 is an amazing tranny for offroading or not, but keep in mind here that I drive with toddlers, so extreme, I am not and I am not picky. We're just looking for mainly point A to point B and can pull a tent trailer.

terrymac

Originally posted by mojeepn
This is why I got rid of the zuk.

What do you mean? I have yet to encounter a Zuk problem that someone else doesn't have the answer to. I think they are an incredibly capable and economical platform to build a wheeler. I am continually amazed at the capability of mine.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by mojeepn
You're going to have to talk to me like I"m stupid because, well as far as this goes I am. Is this a different tranny then? How will I know if it will work? Is there someone who has any resources on this? I don't know if the aw4 is an amazing tranny for offroading or not, but keep in mind here that I drive with toddlers, so extreme, I am not and I am not picky. We're just looking for mainly point A to point B and can pull a tent trailer.

I just figured out that you are replacing your transmission. Apparently I missed the post about it going out on you. Sorry bout that. I though you was just replacing your t-case...

Personally, I like the AW4. I think it is a good match behind the 4.0L. Mine has been more than reliable so far, 196K and counting.

Basically, to know for sure, the transfer case needs to be taken out and the splines need to be counted. I am about 90% sure it is 21 spline, but you never know... We could be thrown a curve ball.

Look inside your door at the stickers and tell me the production date (month - year) since it is an 89, the production date will probably be late 88 or early 89. I'll then search it out for you and see what we come up with. :)

mojeepn

Neons are cool
Originally posted by terrymac

What do you mean? I have yet to encounter a Zuk problem that someone else doesn't have the answer to. I think they are an incredibly capable and economical platform to build a wheeler. I am continually amazed at the capability of mine.

mine was a nightmare. I think if you are really knowledgable about everything automotive, then you can have a great time with them. I just think they aren't for those who don't konw much, which is a description of me. My little truck could go anywhere, that is if I could keep it running. It had a vacume leak somewhere, endless electrical problems, etc. If yours works for you more power to you. Mine was terrible.