What axle do i have?

whatroad

Whatroad
I have what looks like a ford 9" but it is much larger and has some sort of pinion guard on it. The third member has 10 bolts on it. There are no leaf spring perches and it looks like it was set up for a three link. It has factory disc brakes.The guy i got it from said it was from an old Bronco. I am sorry i dont have a digital camera to take pictures with. Any help would be great!

Chevycrew

Does it have a removable cover as well as the third member?

What is the axle tube size?

What is the bolt pattern?

what is the width?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I have what looks like a ford 9" but it is much larger Eaton HO72? and has some sort of pinion guard on it. The third member has 10 bolts on it.AMC 20? no they have 12 and aren't larger than the 9"... HO72 has ten bolts iirc? There are no leaf spring perches and it looks like it was set up for a three link. It has factory disc brakes. not from an old bronco originally The guy i got it from said it was from an old Bronco. I am sorry i dont have a digital camera to take pictures with. Any help would be great!

Is the third removable? What about the rear cover? Lug pattern? Also what is the width (wheel mount surface to wms)? My guess would be Eatons HO72 or HO52 or perhaps something landcruiserish....

*edit* I missed your last post. Also the Eatons didn't have disks and they were not 5 on 4.5... I suck :(

Chevycrew

8.8 doesnt have a third member, and has a removable cover.

The part that has me confused is its larger than a 9"

Sounds like a eaton, but the width, bolt pattern and disc brakes throws me off.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Toyota, Suzuki, Eaton, Ford 9" on Rockwells are the only common axles I can think of that have removable thirds...

Anyway i'm enjoying this mystery too much! :D

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Okay from what I can tell it's a 9". The pinion guard mounting points are unique to those. The lug pattern (studs in the shafts), the pinion flange, and the disks are not typical and are probably aftermarket. Thats my best guess--the pics came in really tiny :D

If that's the case he was right in saying it was from an old (EB) Bronco, but it has seen quite a bit of modifications from the looks of it.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
It's not from an E.B. They all had 5 on 5.5 lug patterns and were 58" WMS - WMS.

Sounds like a rear end from a lincoln car to me (they were available with 5 on 4.5 with disc brakes). I believe that they measured out at 58.5" wide.

Take a look at this page, it may offer some more help. Pics of your axle would be great.
http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm