what carberater do i run?

blazer85

mean green machine
i need your guys opinon on what carb i should run i have an 77 chevy pickup with i 383 stroker wit a edlerbrok 650 cfm carb which the carb is goin bad and dont know what i should get so please tell me what you think thanks

LT.

If you plan to run this rig in for any kind of four wheeling then you need to look at a Rodchester, Thermoquad, or maybe even a Holly Tuck Avenger. The Rodchester and the Thermoquad would be my first choices if you can find them. They are bar none the best carbs for off camber wheeling.

LT.

webyepn

gone yeepn
Im running a quadra puk backwards on my 360 other then when it gets bouncing i can be on any angle and not have any problems..

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I also recommend the Quadrajet, and get it tuned by someone who knows what they're doing. They can be finicky if you hamfist them... but they run at pretty crazy angles.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Quadrajet gets my vote.

If you don't have to worry about emissions get one for an early 70's pickup that way there are no extra ports to plug off :cool:

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
I've got a 383 in my 79, I'm running a 900cfm Carter Comp Series, and I love it, up down left right, never had a problem with it. But the quadrapuke is a great option too.

barnsbronco

I ran a Edelbrock performer for a few years before i switched over to a truck avenger. It helped out a ton but it did take some fine tuning.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
The best carb for off-road use is the old Motorcraft 2 barrel found on some older Jeeps. Although they were used on V8s, most people want (or need) a 4 barrel with the ability to supply more fuel.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
You're Edelbrock is very simple to rebuild, it's the same carb as the Carter AFB series as well. Parts will interchange. ;)

Clean out the Edelbrock, toss in an Offroad spring-loaded needle and seat and save some money. It's cheap to rebuild and you can get parts most anywhere.

That said, IMO the Edelbrock carbs are very 'universal' and they were not built to be used offroad. I don't care for them at all... on anything.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Like Von said, the Motorcraft 2100 series carbs are a great off road set up. The down side is you will lose power. If memory serves me correctly, the Motorcraft is only rated for 500 CFM.

However, before I spent more than $10 on any carb repairs, I'd be searching the wrecking yards for TBI parts.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
The best carb for off-road use is the old Motorcraft 2 barrel found on some older Jeeps. Although they were used on V8s, most people want (or need) a 4 barrel with the ability to supply more fuel.

I really like them as well. I've ran them on my own rig, and have installed a few others. On a funny note, while I still ran it on my own rig, I had a guy come up to me on a trail run one time and ask me if my rig ran on veggie oil. Said the exhaust smelled like french fries. I don't know why, but after I put that carb on, my exhaust always smelled funny.:D