what coilover to use???

My-yota

E-bays #1 customer
Ok I'm looking to get some coilovers for my jeep yj and I don't know what brand to get I've been looking on the net this past week and just don't know,
I know there is three or major brands out there; Bilstein, King, Fox, wwhat else am I missing?
Anyway, what are you guys running out there?
Suggestions on a yj with dana 60's?:eek:

My-yota

E-bays #1 customer
Her is some king coils, tell me what waht you think?
The price ranges from 350.00 to 450.00 each; ouch:eek:

Attachments

• yhst-29053237042699_1890_8467106.gif
    yhst-29053237042699_1890_8467106.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 87
  • yhst-29053237042699_1890_8482601.gif
    yhst-29053237042699_1890_8482601.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 86

My-yota

E-bays #1 customer
Here is some sway away coils; That was the other company I couldn't think of!

Fist one is the 2.0 then the 2nd is the 2.5.

I would run I think 14-16 length.
Good, or to much?

Attachments

• 2_0Remote.jpg
    2_0Remote.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 2_5Remote.jpg
    2_5Remote.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 87

My-yota

E-bays #1 customer
Here is some fox shocks, non coil over; less expensive but not as good as the coil.
Price ranges from 199.00-220.00

Opinions guys???????

Attachments

• fox.gif
    fox.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 87
  • fox 2.0 emulision.gif
    fox 2.0 emulision.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 86
  • fox 2.90 rem.gif
    fox 2.90 rem.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 87

Badger

I am the Brute squad
My-yota said:
The price of these is 267.00 to 350.00

you are also forgeting the price of the coils which will bring each one to over 500 .be looking to spend it the range of 1200~1500 for a set of two.then you will have to have them charged and valved correctly for your app.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
My-yota said:
Good note. What about the none coil shocks, are they worth it?
And how hard is it to valve?

only dif in co vs non-co is the threaded body....though you can get a thinner shaft in the non-co, but I wouldn't. Resivors are not needed unless you plan on some long desert runs....main reason for res is to add fluid/increase cooling.

not knowing your eperience it is hard to say how hard it is to re-valve, but I think anybody could do it with a little patience and reading....

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I've been happy with my Sway-Aways. Don't underestimate the price of coils, and dual rate kits. It adds up, expecially since the first set you buy won't be right, and you'll need to order more.

My-yota

E-bays #1 customer
????

Wher do you find qa1 coils? I did a google and didn't find anything!
I've been looking alot into sway away. They seem to be well priced and look good too. It seems that I can get into four of them around $1200.00.
I think that's good, and that's with springs! When you buy the shocks do they come with spring hardware???

My-yota

E-bays #1 customer
RockMonkey said:
I've been happy with my Sway-Aways. Don't underestimate the price of coils, and dual rate kits. It adds up, expecially since the first set you buy won't be right, and you'll need to order more.

Ok look guys on this website and see if the prices are good eshocks.com.
Another Q; In a rockcrawler, does 12 to 16 inches make that much of a difference?
This coil thing is all new to me. And the whole 4 link thing is just science!
But I got a creative mind; and a good welder. What size heims should I use?

My-yota

E-bays #1 customer
eshocks.com

RockMonkey said:

Is there any good info on doing 4 links on yj's on the net?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Badger said:
you are also forgeting the price of the coils which will bring each one to over 500 .be looking to spend it the range of 1200~1500 for a set of two.then you will have to have them charged and valved correctly for your app.

Have prices reallly gone up that much? I was into my pair of SAW's about half that with coils but that was 4 years ago. If you go to a triple rate setup it gets pretty spendy though...

I loved my SAW's by the way. I've heard good things about the Kings and Bilstein's too.

Cody

tfritz

There is a good artical on the Fox Shocks:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Airshox/index.html

Pirate also has alot of info on 4 links. I would advise you to become a member but there are some real a$$es on the board and they arfe hard on newbs as they call them. The search feature is disabled for non members but you can use google to search the board with the following format:

<what your searching for> :site www.pirate4x4.com

Good luck. Oh and www.jeepsunlimited.com has a few articals as well. Here is one:

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708573&highlight=Matt

Cheers

SICK99TJ

Coil Rates For Dual Set Up

If You Are A Full Body Yj I Would Not Run Anything Less Than A 300 On Top And A 400 On Bottom. I Have Fox On A Tj And Anything Less Is Way To Soft And Squishy Imo :d

My-yota

E-bays #1 customer
My-yota said:
When you buy the threaded shock will it come with the spacer?

Ok, one more Q. When you buy spirings for, lets say for a 14' shock, buy two 7' springs, one 8' spring and one 6' etc. Those qa1 spring are very cheap, good to hear that!

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Some come with the spacers automatically, some don't. (Fox does, for example, SAW doesn't)

General rule of thumb is for a 14" shock, you use two 14" springs. A 12" shock gets two 12" springs, and so on.