What did you build your 4x4 for?

What type of 'wheelin' did you build you vehicle for?

• Total voters

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Just a little poll, I was talking to James K last night and we were discussing trails we've run and had a blast on, because they were challenging enough to make you really work to get the rig thru, but still made you think, 'I can't wait to run that one again!'

I'm curious what the majority of the people on here had in mind, when they built their rig. Check out the poll & vote on the one that best fits your description. You can select multiple choices. :)

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
When I started out, I went through every one of those ratings as a goal for my rig. And every time I hit each goal, it wasn't soon after I was planning and building for the next.

Ideally, I would think that everybody should go through each of those stages. I think it really allows you to appreciate the hobby (or sport however you choose to see it) that much more.

I love doing scenic trails in my buggy as much as I love doing the 5+ trails.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
I voted 4+ but, I want a all around rig. Take the kids to ice cream and just stay "legal" for road travel. Yet still be able to do any trail I choose. with the only limiting factor being how bad I want to damage the body to do the choosen trail.

so far it can go get ice cream ok but it sucks as a "hardcore" wheeler.:sick:

and I think mine has evolved just because I like to push what I can build which in turn has lead to me being able to run the harder trails.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
James K said:
I voted 4+ but, I want a all around rig. Take the kids to ice cream and just stay "legal" for road travel. Yet still be able to do any trail I choose. with the only limiting factor being how bad I want to damage the body to do the choosen trail.

so far it can go get ice cream ok but it sucks as a "hardcore" wheeler.:sick:

That's about the same boat I'm in. It's nice to be able to drive it on the street and run the harder trails, but it's not a hardcore beater by any means.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Kind of the same for me. I want to keep it street legal / daily driver. Something that the kids can go for a ride in. But the more I do the more I want to do. So I am building up to the 4+ type rig that can take the family

Seth

These go to 11
When I got mine from Jeff it was all but a buggy. I tried to get plates but no go. So it is a trailer baby. I didn't really think of driving it around anyway. Much faster (and comfortable) to drive the truck instead. Now with all the changes we have made it is nowhere close to "legal". I didn't really want a straight "go anywhere" buggy either. It goes most anywhere, anywhere I have the nuts to go anyway. All in all I am happy with what she is now. :)

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
i said anywere from 2-4 just because i am a poor high school student and cant afford the carnage:-\ but i still enjoy the trails and like to see what my rig can do:greg:

bobmed

- - - -
4+ My Ranger is for daily good mileage.
The Bronco is to get me there and back so it will stay streetable
Jeep
but it's already pretty beat up so damage is'nt a worry.

Last edited:

jlowry

I voted for a 5. I built mine for offroad use only, obviously you've seen my rig Greg. It's not exactly a street worthy machine :D . I did want it that way because I wanted to be able to do just about anything on a trail. I have, in the past had streetable rigs, and I honestly wouldn't give up what I have for a streetable/trail rig.

utahxjer

Mine started out as a weekend wheeler, then as a I got to each "level" like Herzog said I moved up a "level" Now it won't pass safety or emissions, so I registered it as a OHV only and trailer it, seems like since it's harder to load it up and go I find myself going less... But now that it's warmin up, you guys might see me on the trail more

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
3, I like exploring and seeing new places a lot more than i like going over big rocks or other obstacles... toss a few in that aren't going to destroy my nearly stock XJ and i'll have fun..... I think i'm turning into my dad.

chadr

Mine, when I bought it was a drive the dirt roads rig that never had seen a good trail to speak of. The guy that had it before probably had taken it to places that it shouldn't have been, but nothing extreme.

I bought it at a time in my life that money was sort of tight in our life, but I kept a hold on her through the money crunch. I drove it after putting 32's on it and a small suspension lift for about 3 years until she needed so much work with leaky seals and other small problems that I felt it needed some changes. Now I am building her up a bit to be able to take on at least 3+ to 4 rated trails. I don't want to make it into something that isn't streetable and someday I would like to pass it down to my son.

There is nothing like a rig that is 10 years older than you are!!!!!!!!!:cool:

great scott

I want a rig that can do it all, spend a week exploring(must hold all my gear, parts, and tools) run the kids for ice cream(room for 5), drive to the trail( be street legal) run a 5 rated trail(not to worried about looks), and drive home(strong enough to servive). Maybe one day I will get there :rolleyes: .

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
i have been thruogh every stage of that list as well, except for the 5 stage. i voted 4+ because thats the stage i am at now. but i probably wont go any further than that with the xj. i am getting ready to swap everything to a new body, one that the steering box isnt falling off of, and that has a straight uni-frame. and i will try to keep it street legal, but for now i am going to registed my jeep as OHV only. it wint pass safty and probably wont pass emmisions. so to ket one more summer out of it would be great before i start tearing it down this winter.

one day i would like to build a 4 seater buggy. i have to have room for the kids. but i think it will be a long time before you will see any buggy in my garage.