what do I do with a 1974 Cherokee?

Dal Bone

So a buddy of mine had a 1974 jeep cherokee sitting in his dads backyard. Long story short his dad needed it gone and he said that I could have it for free if I wanted it. Cant argue with the price. Title exchanged hands and I picked it up over the weekend.

Bad news: Its pretty rough. The top was chopped off and it has been sitting under a tree for the last several years. Needless to say the interior is trashed. Likewise there is rust in the quarters, rockers, and seems to have bondo everywhere else.

Good news: The motor is still good. He drove it a couple of years ago and assured me that with a fluid change and tune up it should be ready to run. Although the clutch needs to be replaced.

So if this was you....what would YOU do to it? .

TheJeepGuy

Cherokee

So a buddy of mine had a 1974 jeep cherokee sitting in his dads backyard. Long story short his dad needed it gone and he said that I could have it for free if I wanted it. Cant argue with the price. Title exchanged hands and I picked it up over the weekend.

Bad news: Its pretty rough. The top was chopped off and it has been sitting under a tree for the last several years. Needless to say the interior is trashed. Likewise there is rust in the quarters, rockers, and seems to have bondo everywhere else.

Good news: The motor is still good. He drove it a couple of years ago and assured me that with a fluid change and tune up it should be ready to run. Although the clutch needs to be replaced.

So if this was you....what would YOU do to it? .

Well, I have had two of these and I did something different with each one but I had a blast with both of them.

Cherokee #1 was a 1981, I put everything except the rear model 20 axle in my 1988 YJ and it was amazing. I built the 360 in every way I could and just serviced the rest and ran that Jeep for almost 10 years.

Cherokee #2 was a 1977 I think, I put a 4" lift on it and 35's and cut the rear fenders and rear qaurter's and rockers that were rusted out anyway and wheeled the hell out of it so I didnt beat my YJ that I had cleaned up. That cherokee really took a beating and never gave up But after about a year I sold it.

b7c0f9fbc27f__1259160101000.jpg

1de432392e93__1259160101000.jpg

Last edited:

Dal Bone

Cherokee #1 was a 1981, I put everything except the rear model 20 axel in my 1988 YJ and it was amazing. I built the 360 in every way I could and just serviced the rest and ran that Jeep for almost 10 years.

Interesting. I hadnt really considered this option. Why did you not use the rear axle?

I am assuming then that you used the motor, trans, t-case, and front axle on the YJ?

TheJeepGuy

Yes, I used the motor (360), Tranny (TF727), T-case (np208 fixed yoke) and Dana 44 front. I didnt use the rear axle for two reasons, it had a bent shaft and was a very rare wide track and I couldnt find a replacement for it and the amc 20 is famous for twisting the tubes in the housing so I just went with a GM 12 bolt.
It is the same lug pattern and almost the same width, a lot stronger in my opinion, a lot of people will disagree with using a 12 bolt but I used and abused it a lot and it never gave out on me. I have seen other 12bolts give out but mine held up really well and my buddy that ran a 14 bolt would get stuck on stuff that would make me laugh sometimes because of the anchor he was dragging, we were both running 39" also.

wagonmaster

ONE TON 'O WAGON
I think you should give it to me!!!! I know just what to do with those and I don't just mean stealing parts off of them. However as I am sure that is probably not an option I say wheel it.

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
this is what i did to my FSJ. it was a blast to drive, when all the tires were on it :ugh:

Attachments

• darwin in the mud.jpg
    darwin in the mud.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 16

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
I say cut out the cancer & patch as needed, hog out the fender wells for big tires, BUILD A GOOD ROLL CAGE!! & TIE IT INTO THE FRAME!!, throw in some junkyard seats & WHEEL IT!!:p

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
strip the heavy body off it, cage it, lock it, wheel it.. I would see how capable of a rig I could build it into without spending ANY money..always wanted that challenge. if its got dana 44's it would be a good platform.