What do I need to offroad a ZJ?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
oh, you want to see progression? lol

1st ZJ, 1st wheelin trip. stock
standard.jpg

1st ZJ, 1st lift. 7.5" short arm lift and 33's (waaaay too tall).
standard.jpg

1st ZJ, 1st flop.
standard.jpg

1st ZJ, still wheelin it, still open diffs.
standard.jpg

1st ZJ, 1st full roll (in a parking lot(too much lift))
standard.jpg

1st ZJ, 3.5" lift 33's, open diffs. custom trimming
standard.jpg

1st ZJ, 5" lift, 37's hp44/9" locked, suspension done
standard.jpg

1st ZJ, new tube work
standard.jpg

oops
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
new tires, atlas
standard.jpg

ZJ#2, in the front of this picture. Nicknamed "tow rig". Extreme failure. All other pictures of this blunder have been destroyed.
standard.jpg

ZJ#3
short arms, 35's, 5.5" lift stock axles
standard.jpg

ZJ#3, 4.0...obviously
standard.jpg

ZJ#3, triangulated 4 link, 5.5" lift, 35's, locked/disked 8.8, 4.56's
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

ZJ#4 98, 5.2 v8, dynatrac 60/ hp44 w/ warns/ctm's, long arms, locked, geared. heated seats
standard.jpg

to be continued

dungbeetle

I checked out the Procomp site and found out that I actually had all the parts that they put in the kit, so we started installing them yesterday. Thanks to whoever it was that spotted it was a Procomp kit. The shocks are crap, but we'll use them for now. It bothers me that there isn't anything for the pitman arm, but I must not need it.

I bought those wheels a couple years ago from some guy up near the Uni in Salt Lake. I was going to put them on, but a friend said they were gay, so I buried them and forgot about them.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
I bought those wheels a couple years ago from some guy up near the Uni in Salt Lake.

I think that was me. Was one of them missing an center cap?

Dont use PC control arms, forget the pitman arm and get an ADJ front trackbar. My ZJ had 3" PC springs in the middle pic in my previous post.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
You shouldn't need a drop pitman arm. Rarely have a seen a ZJ that needs one.

Adjustable tracbars will help re-center the axle once lifted. That pro-comp kit will ride like a kaiser tank.

dungbeetle

Well, based on recommendations of this forum, I just threw on the stuff I had so I can get out on the trail and decide whether I like doing this or not. Yesterday we put on the procomp 3 inch lift kit and the 32 inch tires. The last things I need before trying this rig out are rock sliders and maybe a locker. I realize that the locker is wasted money, but what the hell. When the D35 axle busts, the locker will probably be still good, and I can put it in another one that won't be used for offroading.

So, where can I buy good rock sliders?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
This is where I would go. Good friend of mine, and these things are tough.

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/zj/zj_sliderz_1.html

I've had two sets of them and never a problem. If you want a step to get to roof rack, get the LP ones (I like the round bar personally but whatever), otherwise get the ones that are tucked in.

I have ORGS on my new jeep and I like the design but I have already bent the outerbars which makes me wonder how strong they really are.

At any rate, tell Kevin that Cody sent ya. Maybe he'll give you a better price.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Yeah.... did you find it? :D

Sorry no, thats the way I bought them.....

FWIW. PLEASE dont install a locker in that D35. I just threw away the last of my D35 spare axles. I kept them in my trailer for guys on the trail with one wheel hanging out of their rig:D

ZJs have a longer wheelbase and will see nearly the same improvement from a front locker as a rear. I ran a lockright in the front of mine with a open rear for months and it worked well. The front locker will also help the rear live longer.

Try Wayne or a few of the other guys for the best price on lockers. Hell, I'll be selling my locker in the next couple of weeks if you still haven't found one.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
First thing I would do If I were building another ZJ, (or any rockcrawler)is install a cage. ZJ's are only good for 1.5 rolls. you can raise the roof back up with a highlift on the pinchweld but after a season of wheeling (the way I do) the doors wont open and close.

Dont waste any money on the d35, install your cheap lift, install a front locker and rocker protection is a must. be on the lookout for a d44 or 8.8 rear replacement. you can do 90% of the trails and obstakles in Moab with these few things, ZJ's work great, good wheelbase, but after you roll one hard they start to detoiriate like a wet cardboard box. you might prevent some of the sagging buy building a subframe and tieing your cage into it, lots of info on the web if you google it.

dungbeetle

Someone told me that D44's are found in V8 Grand Cherokees. If so, then that would be a bolt in to install it in mine, and it just so happens that I have a V8 parts car. Lucky me.