what do look for on a lifted grand cherokee?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I've got a line on a 94 grand cherokee with the 6 in it. The guy claims it has 6.5" of lift on the front and 7" on the rear. What should I be looking for in terms of problems with driveline angles and other such things. it has a lot of miles on it, like almost 200k but the motor has been rebuilt about 50k ago. all the miles were highway from the previous owner who drove back and forth to ST George like once a week. anyway what should I be on the lookout for. :confused:

P

pokeyYJ

Has the trans been rebuilt? Does it have the Chyrsler 999 in it? With the six it probably has the D 35 on the rear. I have not had any problems with mine but with 200K on it I would pull the cover and check the diff and the ring and pinion. Also watch out for fuel pump failures, the pumps are in the tank and they are quiet expensive. I think that the driveshafts might have been lengthend because with that high of lift I would think that you would have some vibrations. Even on XJ's with 4 inchs on it I had to lengthen the rear shaft. Good luck

G

Originally posted by spencurai
I've got a line on a 94 grand cherokee with the 6 in it. The guy claims it has 6.5" of lift on the front and 7" on the rear. What should I be looking for in terms of problems with driveline angles and other such things. it has a lot of miles on it, like almost 200k but the motor has been rebuilt about 50k ago. all the miles were highway from the previous owner who drove back and forth to ST George like once a week. anyway what should I be on the lookout for. :confused:

I HAVE A 96 WITH THE V8 AND 5" OF LIFT AND ALL WHEEL DRIVE I HAVE SLIGHT FRONT DRIVE LINE VIBRATION WITCH I, AM TRYING TO ADDRESS I HAVE HEARD THE GRAND WITH THE 4.0 IS MUCH MORE LIMBER :D HOPE THIS HELPS

P

pokeyYJ

When the motor was rebuilt, did they replace the injectors? If not either replace them or clean them, you will have noticable improvement in power and fuel economy

G

Originally posted by pokeyYJ
Also watch out for fuel pump failures, the pumps are in the tank and they are quiet expensive.

i got the whole sending unit with the feual pump for 85.00 from checkers :cool:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Drive it and see how it does. Then check the steering out and make sure they didn't do anything too stupid to resolve the steering issues at 6". You can measure the true lift height by measuring fender lip to wheel center. Stock non up-country is 18".

Crawl under and have a looksie. See what arms he is using, what shocks and such. If the arms look suspiciously stock then stray away. Some people have cut stock arms in half and welded them back together longer to make a slightly longer arm. I don't like that.

Also chekc the tracbars. You don't want stupid tracbar drop brackets. If it has drop brackets then chekc and see if and how badly they have been broken/rewelded.

Check tie rod ends, cv boots. Put in in 4 low and turn sharp and see if it binds up.

Hit the breaks and let go of the wheel and see if it pulls.

A lot of that stuff goes without saying. Good luck

Cody

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
"i got the whole sending unit with the feual pump for 85.00 from checkers "

Ya and it sounds like you paid 5 bucks for it, that thing is SO LOUD I CANT BELIVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but seriously hisfuel pump is SICK ass loud

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
just called the guy again and here is the lowdown.

93 grand cherokee with 193k miles with I-6 rebuilt 60k ago.
tranny has been checked out by tranny shop and has the OK.
he is replacing the fuel pump as we speak.

now to the suspension

it has the skyjacker 4" kit up front that replaces everything, and he has 2 " pucks under those coild bringing it up to 6"

he has the TJ 8" rockready rear suspension under it that brought it up to 7.5 " under his grand.

quick disconnects on the front.

ARB front bumper.

32x11.5 BFG-muds on the aluminum AR rims..the nice looking ones.

and he wants 5500 because that is what he owes on it.

now is this deal worth it so far....I will go crawl aroung under it when he gets the fuel pump done...

Caleb

without know the ptions it has KBB is only $4980 and kbb is usually high...it might be an OK deal if you believe in paying for the accesories(lift, tires, wheels, bumper,etc...) I dont believe in paying extra for those thing...to me they add appeal not value:D

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
he is going to give me a call when he gets done with the fuel pump so I can take it for a spin. I will let you guys know and I will also take mucho digipix :)

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
Id say hell on for 5500, Id buy my own. 93 is the first year release.

Id go for a 96, you can find them for 5-9k in GOOD shape around 100k or less mileage, with a rebuilt motor that many miles id be very hesitant, id go buy one thats not been wheeled, lift it and get it going over time.
Sounds like you mostly want it for a Daily? Dont buy a wheeled GC. Get a used one, then lift it.

xjc

I give up :(
hey spence, you know I'm no expert but for that money I would skip the "grand" and go for a strait chrokee that will cost you half as much. A grand with the I6 isn't that much different than a regular cherokee and its more difficult and expensive to modify and repair.

Watch out for that aluminum D44!

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
Originally posted by xjc
hey spence, you know I'm no expert but for that money I would skip the "grand" and go for a strait chrokee that will cost you half as much. A grand with the I6 isn't that much different than a regular cherokee and its more difficult and expensive to modify and repair.

Watch out for that aluminum D44!

Well put :)

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
the only draw is the already installed lift. he claims it was mildly wheeled and he also says that i does not have the d-44. I think the d-44 went to the V-8 models so it might be OK. The thing is that I have only seen it passing me on the freeway at great speeds....I barely got the for sale stickers on the rear hatch and the phone number. basically I have not been under it at all.

another tech note, he says that he has done nothing with his drivelines(lengthened, SYE) so they are stock and he claims no vibes....what gives?

xjc

I give up :(
sounds like you have found someone who doesn't know what drive line vibes sound like???? cuz ain to rig anywhere that you can lift that high and not get vibes on the original shafts. I know that the slip yoke of a XJ will strait fall out with that kind of lift

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by xjc
sounds like you have found someone who doesn't know what drive line vibes sound like???? cuz ain to rig anywhere that you can lift that high and not get vibes on the original shafts. I know that the slip yoke of a XJ will strait fall out with that kind of lift

....wrong.....my explorer never had one ioda of vibration!!! now about that slip yoke thing....my explorer didn't have one of those silly slip yokes either..:)

about knowledge of sounds....what about that time that one guy had his transmission rebuilt because of a wheel bearing going bad.....hmmmm that was pretty funny :):p

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
My ZJ was once at 7.5" front and 8.25" rear with stock drivelines and no vibes. In fact, I still have the stock front d-line. I didn't use any of those gat t-case drop spacers either. Looked something like this.
standard.jpg

all 4.0 ZJ/WJ's have the 35c. The WJ's aren't c-clipped though. Apparenlty the 'c' stands for custom not 'c clipped'. there was a huge debate over this awhile ago and I lost because I thought it meant c-clipped. In 96 they put the a44 behind the v8's.

Cody

Last edited: