What expedition rig to get?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
So we are looking to get an expedition rig. Have a wife and 2 kids. maybe you guys can help me decide. I need 4 doors and 4x4 and reliable. other than that not to picky. I am looking to spend less than 12,000 bucks. Gas mileage is not super important, but a little. It will be a sit at my house most of the time unless we want to go on a trip rig. We have been looking at land cruisers cherokees, dodge cummins (sort of 4 door). Any other ideas? I have a 98 chevy truck I might just use. I would like to be able to sleep 2 in the back I guess.

Caleb

I love my 4 door Tacoma and it fits your requirements except for the price. You'll be hard pressed to find one that cheap. If you do there will probably be other issues with it (high mileage, branded title, etc).

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
80-series Landcruisers are great vehicles, but could be a bit tight for 2 people sleeping back there. You have decent interior room along with a very capable and reliable platform and it's not too big for tight trails. You can find 100-Series Landcruisers in that price range your looking at, they have IFS and are still plenty capable for more-mild offroad travel. The 100-Series have V8's versus the older 80-Series that have a 6 Cyl. I would love to have a 100 Series for light-offroad touring.

I did a quick search on KSL for '98+ Landcruisers and found 2, here's one priced at $11k.-
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=&nid=443&tab=list/view&ad=1160984

What kind of stuff do you want to do with it? A Suburban comes to mind. I really like Clemsoncralwers 4 door Tahoe with the SAS.-

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showpost.php?p=610106&postcount=16

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
4 door taco would be my first choice--the body style previous to the new one (I think it ended in 04)

Otherwise, if you plan on staying in the states, XJ's and ZJ's and WJ's don't make terrible vehicles for a light build. A ZJ or WJ with the v8, 3.5" lift and 32's will get you through just about anything you'll find in an expedition type trail, and is still small enough that you wouldn't really sacrifice it's handling too much. My v8 ZJ on 35's gets about 15 mpg, but it's a little big (lift/tire wise) for what I use it for.

I'm 6'2 and I can sleep diagnally across the back of my ZJ, but it's definately not ideal. For 2 kids it would be fine I suppose.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I think an 80 series would be about the ultimate for family exploring and it seems to fit your requirements. Fuel milage is what really turned me away from one from what i've seen 15mpg is about all you could expect to get. For most it is a small price to pay for such a capable and reliable vehicle... Also If you get the right one you can recieve a lot of factory goodies including front and rear lockers :D

As for the Cummins four door I think it would be great, but from what I'm seeing with mine (reg cab) you'll definatly need some upgrades. Because of the engines weight mine is basically worthless in mud (although they are new I thinks its mostly because of the BFG Longtrails :-\) and I'm starting to think that two true lockers would be a must for any difficult trail. Also none of your friends will want to use their 8000lb. winch to get your HEAVY truck unstuck so it would be a good idea to invest in a big winch. Your limited to smallish tires as the ball joints don't seem to hold up too well with big tires offroad, but 285's are plenty big for an expedition vehicle imo... Fuel milage, big power and mechanical simplicity are their stong points. I can get well over 550 miles to one tank of fuel :D

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
We tried the Dodge diesel multi-use rig with our '03 4 Door and IMO it wasn't a good candidate due to the weight.

I toasted a set of ball joints using it offroad and it rides so rough on anything more than a mild dirt road, it wasn't a comfortable ride. I also put a hole in a tire on the trail, after running over a sharp rock at street pressure. It had seen a few trips to Moab and a trip to the San Juans and we decided to stick to street duty with it. We had 315's on it and if you aired them down a little, it was a decent ride, but not anything I'd take on a harder trail. In soft stuff our '03 had horrible wheel-hop... apparently the rear suspension is built for hauling loads, not offroading. :eek:

The biggest problem is the weight.... if you get stuck, which happens often when you venture off-road, a heavy truck like a diesel Dodge will be a massive PITA to get un-stuck. Between that and the ride, it killed the idea for me.

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=51073

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
The few times I took my dodge 2500 diesel up AF Canyon I wished I had brought a kidney belt. Any long distance dirt roads would be miserable IMO.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Yeah, ixnay on the heavy haulers LOL

I love Clemsoncrawler's rig. I nearly sold a kidney to get it when it was for sale hahah. To me, that is kind of like a plus-sized FJ80, which would be my next choice, slug motor be damned. I'd plan on a roof tent maybe just to make sure there's enough room.. but you can get sweet deals on 80s on IH8MUD, if you're willing to drive to get 'em.
Suburbans are freakin sweet for room, and surprisingly capable, not to mention cheap and cheap to maintain and modify, but they have a lot of rear overhang, they're pretty wide, and with a lift and all that, they get iffy mileage--- but for a LONG trip, the storae space is MINT. I waffle on Burbs a lot-- the room is nice but they're so big. And you really need a 60 up front to avoid the balljoint issues endemic to big heavy offroad pigs. :D
XJ/ZJ's are a good option for getting a lot of value for your dollar, since you can get all kinds of rigs at decent prices in UT. I'm not a huge fan of the unibody construction, but they ARE pretty capable offroad, they fit nearly everywhere, and they're pretty slinky. Add some "frame" stiffeners and some more beef... maybe some Rubicon axles, you're good to go.

If it was me, I'd get a Cruiser w/a small lift, and some extras... but at that price point an XJ with a BUNCH of extras might be a better choice economically.

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
I think fullsize is a little too big for trails, but with almost any expo rig besides a suburban or fullsize truck, you won't be sleeping in the back, especially with the kids. Even in an 80series landcruiser it will be tough to sleep two if you have tons of gear, however a roof top tent is always an option (a very :cool: option). For me I think the disadvantages outweigh the benefits for an RTT, but lots of people use them and love them. I think the decently priced mombasa rtt would fit the whole family just fine.

Options I would consider:

60 series Landcruiser - cheap, awesome looking, tough, slow, poor mileage, reliable, old, 60s had carb and 5 speed, 62s had efi and auto.

80 series Landcruiser - beefy, lots of room, comfy, coil springs, full floating axles, factory lockers option, slow, auto tranny, poor mileage, reliable, not too big on the trail

100 series landcruiser - beefy, v8, toughest ifs there is, factory rear locker option, lots of room, heavy and bulky, maybe a little TOO nice, may be expensive depending on year

4 door taco - fast, decent mileage, ifs, rear locker option, reliable, expensive

Unless you are really into Landrovers, stay away from them. I'd take a XJ before I took a rover. XJs probably are a decent option too, lots of people use them, but they aren't as :greg: as toyotas. :D

The cheaper the vehicle you buy, the more you can spend on sweet gear. If you buy a rig thats already set up, it will be much much cheaper. I bought my 97 Lexus (80 series) for just over $9k and it already had factory lockers, 2.5" lift (the perfect size for expo IMO), 33" tires, sliders, front and rear bumpers, and a roof rack. To get it how I want it will only take a few grand more (swing out, 4.88s, snorkel).

LT.

I am with Greg on this one except, I think I would be looking for a 60 series instead of the 80 series. Reason one is because of price. You could find a 60 series with fuel injection, solid axles that are both off set (if I remember correctly) and the price of the rig should be cheaper than an 80 series. I grew up learning to drive one. The inline six is a legend when it comes to longevity. The performance is a little on the sluggish side but there are ways to drop a 350 chevy in for cheap. Four doors, room enough for two grownups and two little ones. They always reminded me of the military vehicles of the middle east in their looks. A small suspension system from Old Man Emu and a slightly larger tire you would be ready to go. Also the vehicle weighs 5700 lbs. this is with 55% of the weight on the front axle and 45% over the rear. Not a bad weight distrubution for any vehicle. There is an article in this months Four Wheeler that demonstrates the use of a small trailer behind the Teal Brute project. It is a good read and I would recommend you check it out.

LT.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I vote FJ62, because that's what I want someday. Others have listed the pros/cons, so i'll just add that the '62 gets my vote..

How can you possibly find something cooler looking than this for the price? Kurt Williams proved that you can still find some out there with little to no rust!!
DSCF1147.jpg

fj62newwheels.jpg

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Call me crazy, but I like the look of the '62 front end with the 4 headlights, over the '60 2 round lights.. That for some reason tickles my fancy.. Plus, i'd like the auto in the 62..

MMM diesel power.. Get one of the few 1UZ's for sale locally and drop it into a '62.. OME, 33's, snorkel, roofrack, onboard air, onboard shower, Engel fridge, ARB front/rear bumpers and a locker or two... Brilliant..

-Jason

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I love my 4 door Tacoma and it fits your requirements except for the price. You'll be hard pressed to find one that cheap. If you do there will probably be other issues with it (high mileage, branded title, etc).

I love those, but when I was looking I couldn't find a suitable one in my price range.

80-series Landcruisers are great vehicles, but could be a bit tight for 2 people sleeping back there. You have decent interior room along with a very capable and reliable platform and it's not too big for tight trails. You can find 100-Series Landcruisers in that price range your looking at, they have IFS and are still plenty capable for more-mild offroad travel. The 100-Series have V8's versus the older 80-Series that have a weak 6 Cyl. I would love to have a 100 Series for light-offroad touring.

I did a quick search on KSL for '98+ Landcruisers and found 2, here's one priced at $11k.-
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=&nid=443&tab=list/view&ad=1160984

I do love those land cruisers

What kind of stuff do you want to do with it? A Suburban comes to mind. I really like Clemsoncralwers 4 door Tahoe with the SAS.-

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showpost.php?p=610106&postcount=16

If I do a tahoe or fullish size chevy I would probably just do my 98 2500 truck.

4 door taco would be my first choice--the body style previous to the new one (I think it ended in 04)

Otherwise, if you plan on staying in the states, XJ's and ZJ's and WJ's don't make terrible vehicles for a light build. A ZJ or WJ with the v8, 3.5" lift and 32's will get you through just about anything you'll find in an expedition type trail, and is still small enough that you wouldn't really sacrifice it's handling too much. My v8 ZJ on 35's gets about 15 mpg, but it's a little big (lift/tire wise) for what I use it for.

I'm 6'2 and I can sleep diagnally across the back of my ZJ, but it's definately not ideal. For 2 kids it would be fine I suppose.

15 is not bad mileage. We don't really plan on sleeping in it much, but thought maybe if I just took my son out on a quick over nighter it might be nice.

We tried the Dodge diesel multi-use rig with our '03 4 Door and IMO it wasn't a good candidate due to the weight.

I toasted a set of ball joints using it offroad and it rides so rough on anything more than a mild dirt road, it wasn't a comfortable ride. I also put a hole in a tire on the trail, after running over a sharp rock at street pressure. It had seen a few trips to Moab and a trip to the San Juans and we decided to stick to street duty with it. We had 315's on it and if you aired them down a little, it was a decent ride, but not anything I'd take on a harder trail. In soft stuff our '03 had horrible wheel-hop... apparently the rear suspension is built for hauling loads, not offroading. :eek:

The biggest problem is the weight.... if you get stuck, which happens often when you venture off trail, a heavy truck like a diesel Dodge will be a massive PITA to get un-stuck. Between that and the ride, it killed the idea for me.

I had a 2000 cummins that I loved and thought it rode great. It did get stuck once, pulling a jeep out of utah lake, but it got pulled out by cherokee. Maybe I just haven't done enough of the expedition thing too much. Also, mine was just stock on stock tires so maybe it didn't bounce as much.

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=51073

I vote FJ62, because that's what I want someday. Others have listed the pros/cons, so i'll just add that the '62 gets my vote..

How can you possibly find something cooler looking than this for the price? Kurt Williams proved that you can still find some out there with little to no rust!!
DSCF1147.jpg

fj62newwheels.jpg

I LOVE those, but my wife wants something a little newer. She doesn't believe the reliable as a new car line I tried.

Call me crazy, but I like the look of the '62 front end with the 4 headlights, over the '60 2 round lights.. That for some reason tickles my fancy.. Plus, i'd like the auto in the 62..

MMM diesel power.. Get one of the few 1UZ's for sale locally and drop it into a '62.. OME, 33's, snorkel, roofrack, onboard air, onboard shower, Engel fridge, ARB front/rear bumpers and a locker or two... Brilliant..

-Jason

That would be cool. more work than I am willing to undertake.

80 and 100 series cruiser and XJs are winning right now in my book. I have had really good luck with XJ in my life. I have never owned a toyota so maybe I should give that a try.

Do the 80 series only come with the 6 cyl?