what ford t-case to use?

Too Far

parts is parts
This 4400 build has started to spiral! It was suposed to be a light cheap and easy build, but stuff happens.
Now it has 60/70 combo, and a 5.0 c4.
I know the real answer is an atlas, but I can't swing one right now. I can probably get a 20, or 205, possibly a newer aluminum case.....
I was thinking d300, but was told that they are only pass drop.

Any ideas as to what would work the best until I can get my hands on an atlas?
Thanks.

thenag

I loved my ford 203/205 combo. I had about $800 to put it all together. It is all gear driven, 1:1, 2:2, or 4:1 and twin sticked, easy to find seals and parts. It only had 3 draw backs, it is 210lbs and it is really long, and it will never get lower than 4:1 since no one makes a lower gear set for the ford 203 or 205.

In the jeep build we are doing a np231/d300 combo.

the d300 can be flipped to driver side drop with a clocking ring and just leaving the shifters upside down. there is also a 4:1 gear set for the d300. and it is easy to twin stick. When working on the d300 it is very much like the np205 just a bit smaller. d300's are getting a bit pricey and I can understand why so many people want them in their jeeps.

I have a ford 205 for sale, I sold off my 203 and doubler kit already but if you want a 205 let me know.

If you are trying to stay light, go d20 or d300. if you want bomb proof go 205 or 203/205 doubler.

nathan
-99 xj

Too Far

parts is parts
I always figured that a 205 was too heavy to be of much use in a buggy, and the low range isn't that great. I have pretty much decided on a model 20 for the time being. The bronco 2.46 ratio is a little better and they are smaller and lighter than the 205. I hope to have an atlas next year, and that should solve the problem.

Too Far

parts is parts
I picked up a zf5 and 13-56 combo tonight. I thought a manual might be a decent way to go as well. When i got it home it became clear that there is no way I am going to fit this setup in the buggy. It is at least a foot longer than what I built the chasis around.
I think that I am back around to a c4 dana 20 combo.
The bronco 20 case I have access to has the rear output missing, no doubt from prior carnage. There is a jeep output sitting with it, but I am not sure if it will fit.
It is becoming clear that I am going to have a mountain of unused parts after this buggy is done.