What GPS do you have?

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I know there is a thread about GPS but I can't find it. Which GPS do you use and which one would you like to have?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I have a Garmin Legend HCx It's been great for what I do. I downloaded the free map for Utah from http://www.miscjunk.org/ and have a 2Gig micro SD card in it. The Vista would have been nice but at the time I didn't want to put out the extra $ for it and didn't think I needed the compass (It's been a couple years and the difference used to be more). I've been happy with mine, I load the routes from http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php and use it for finding my way on those hard to navigate trails.

Caleb

What GPS works for you will really depend on how you intend to use it. I use a Garmin Venture Cx. It's basic but does exactly what I need it to do. I rarely use it to navigate, it would be kind of tough to truly navigate with it because the screen is so small. I mostly use it to track where I've been. Generally it gets turned on and then I throw it in my back pack, then when I get home I download the route and all the info about my trip. Occasionally I will mark a turn I want to take so I can make sure I won't miss it.

If you plan to navigate with it, I'd suggest one of the ones with a bit larger screen than the handheld Garmins, unless your navigation is while you are hiking, then they are great. Like I said, it really depends on what your intended use is. I may eventually get one that's a bit larger like a zumo or nuvi or similar so that I can strap it to my handlebars and actually be able to use it, but it's not a priority right now.

Last edited:

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
i use a garmin gpsmap 60csx, i'm really wanting the garmin nuvi 500 for my jeep though. its loaded with topo and street maps for the u.s. and has a decent size 3.5 inch screen. its the biggest automotive gps with topo maps that i've seen, not including the gigantic lowrance baja thats too big to put anywhere on a dashboard.

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
I am on my 5th garmin which is a nuvi 750. I do a lot of traveling so I need a navigator but with the 2 gig card I have the entire Western USA TOPO loaded in so I can switch between streets and topo. It actually has enough memory to put the entire US TOPO in but then when I am back east I am not wheeling in a rental and the space is used with up with photos. About the only feature that does not work well on the unit is the fm transmitter that is supposed to ply mp3 to your radio. The transmitter is too weak. Other than that it is a great gps.
Todd

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I used a Garmin GPS 12 for many years. Currently the GPS I use almost every day is a Garmin Forerunner 305. Works great for offroad, I strap it to the rear-view mirror.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
I have a Delorme PN-30. I really like it better than the Garmins I have used. Besides for $29 a year you get unlimited downloads of maps, satellite imagery, etc.

I would recommend the PN-40, it is a lot faster and can handle a larger memory card.

rambrush

I am still running a older Delorme Pn-20 with Topo 8 software. Its doing great but looking to move to the 40 or the next one coming out.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I ended up getting a Garmin Legend HCx. So far I like it. Only thing I wish was better is the refresh rate is a little too slow for me.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I'm over populated with gpses... my first was a megellan that sucked... then I got a garmin 3+ that I actually still use... then I bought a v and then I like that so much I got another one... then came the rino's first 110 then 120, I have both of these still and the kids love to play the bomber game on them...

Then the girlfriend wanted a gps so I bought her a pink nuvi205... which led me to get a nuvi 750 of which I use daily! I agree the transmitter sucks but I am still able to get it to work when out in the boonies... it just doesn't work in town.

OREGON85

from OREGON
I have a Garmin eTrex Ledgend and I don't like it very much. It rarely works and when it does its not very user friendly. Battery life seems really short too. I just took a GPS/GIS class at USU and used a lot of different units. The Garmin Map 60 series was by far my favorite for recreation use.

Last edited:

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
I've used my Garmin eTrex Legend for years and just got a Garmin Nuvi 755T...the FM transmitter totally sucks but otherwise they are both great units.

Johnny4X4

I am currently using the Jeep Trail Guide - offered by Mopar - made to fit in my tj.

i also have an old garmin gps12, and the one before them was a magellan pro, and before that a megellan mod that hooked to my laptop.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
umm... my Droid phone...works great, acquires ridiculously fast, and has google maps with terrain. Now I know you are going to say no coverage no maps...but there are several apps in the works to rectify that.