What happened to the good ol carberator?

What fuel system do you have / want?

• Carb

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • EFI

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • TBI or others

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Ionized? I have never heard of that. What changes the electrical charge of the fuel in the cylinder. Why can't the fuel atomize in a venturi? The presure drop really is significantly more than the charge will encounter passing through a head valve. I know that injectors are geting better at spraying fuel into a finer mist but I have not heard that they are to the level of the best carbs.

You ask why would Barry Grant come out with that set up? He claims he did it to get the proper fuel metering of fuel injection with the better fuel atomization of his carbs. Barry Grant beleives that atomization is better with a good carb than with MPI and so do I.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Ionization---just as taught by general motors. Fuel is ionized by the stroke of the piston due to static electricity (if I remember correctly) thus perfectly spacing the fuel ATOMS. the VAPORIZED fuel is ATOMIZED as it enters the cylinder.

The pressure difference isn't much different at the valve?? Vacuum varies greatly within the carb body itself let alone comparing it to the pressure at the valve. Vacuum at the venturi is like 3-5 in.hg and goes up to like 14-17 at the base depending on throttle position. And the vacuum greatly increases at the valve.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
That is interesting I have never heard that the fuel was charged under presure. I think maybe I am not thinking of atomization in the same way you are. The figures you give are interesting but they dont take in to consideration the venturi effect do they? You give the vacume figure at the venturri but isnt what really maters flow and the shape of the venturi? Vacume would also be very diferent at WOT(almost none but you don't need vacume only flow for bernollys(sp?) principle to make the venturi a very effective fuel air mixer. Anyway my original point was that carbs are the equal to or better than EFI in high horsepower engines and they are much cheaper.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Originally posted by bobdog
Oh ya don't yell words at me I am not deaf.

I wasn't yelling, I was EMPHASIZING. It has been a lot of fun bench racing with you so far so don't get in a tif here at the end.

If carbs are best why do the top fuel guys run carbs? (just razzin ya) I agree that carbs are best for the backyard to semi-pro racer (Unless you have the $$ to spend on injection) Speaking of which....have you seen Knights camaro? WOAH! (not yelling) That thing is sweet.... 1st gen camaro turbo'd with a big mother turbo. FI'd, I heard he has $$10K in the injection alone. OMG.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Top fuels a different game that stuff burns in outer space and they basically just pour it in to the engine. I saw a demo on TV once where they showed what it would look like inside the cyl of a top fuel motor. It looked like a washing machine. Very wet. It doesn't mix very well with the air and that is why so much goes out the headers unburnt.