What has the outdoors taught you?

sixstringsteve

I've been undergoing an interesting transition in my life and I learn more about Ultralight Backpacking (many thanks to Mesha for introducing me to the world of UL). I'm learning to simplify my life. I'm trying to make more items in my life multi-use, and ditch the unnecessary ones.

Troop92

The outdoors continually reminds me of how small I am in the grand scheme of things, and that there are so many amazing things to be experienced if we'll only get out and look.

Last edited:

blznnp

I agree with Troop92, I just wish I got out more to experience everything that there is, like when I was younger and got out backpacking and camping all the time.

ozzy702

The outdoors has taught me that being unprepared is painful and that being being prepared in regards to gear, physical fitness and knowledge can make almost any adventure outdoors a whole lot of fun. On our last winter overnighter two of us were toasty warm and in great spirits and the two guys who were less prepared were cold, unhappy and in pain.

The concept of being prepared goes way beyond being outdoors and is something I want to embrace more in my life.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
The outdoors has taught me that being unprepared is painful and that being being prepared in regards to gear, physical fitness and knowledge can make almost any adventure outdoors a whole lot of fun. On our last winter overnighter two of us were toasty warm and in great spirits and the two guys who were less prepared were cold, unhappy and in pain.

The concept of being prepared goes way beyond being outdoors and is something I want to embrace more in my life.

This^

Even a few miles from town is a LOOOONG way when something goes wrong, and you are unprepared.

sixstringsteve

The outdoors have taught my soul is an outdoor creature living an indoor life, even though my body is an indoor creature that occasionally experiences the outdoors. I love being outside.

sixstringsteve

The outdoors has also taught me that mother nature is brutal. People who think nature is kind and protects her own are sorely mistaken. A wolf won't tenderly eat a rabbit and make sure inflict the least amount of pain. The wolf will destroy that rabbit with no thought of its pain.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I've spent so much time learning about the outdoors, about the philosophy of nature. I'm sure I could fill a book on what I've learned about and from the outdoors. This is one of those conversations that should be had over a fire.

sixstringsteve

Now if only Steve can be less afraid of touching a fish.... then the real outdoor fun begins!

:D

I touched a fish last year. It was a real breakthrough. I still don't enjoy it, but it's not nearly as big a problem as I made it out to be. It's 100% mental.

Last edited:

jentzschman

I've been undergoing an interesting transition in my life and I learn more about Ultralight Backpacking (many thanks to Mesha for introducing me to the world of UL). I'm learning to simplify my life. I'm trying to make more items in my life multi-use, and ditch the unnecessary ones.

The outdoors continually reminds me of how small I am in the grand sceme of things, and that there are so many amazing things to be experienced if we'll only get out and look.

^ this.

All of this is wonderful insight. I love the outdoors but have struggled to get out more as I feel I need to have better gear or this and that piece of gear to enjoy it to the fullest.

As with what Steve said, being introduced to the UL scene has helped me alter my mindset on gear. I use to think like the old boy scout motto: Be prepared meant taking everything you think you might need while UL teaches to take less and multitask each piece of gear. While being prepared is still very true, I have tried to view being prepared as taking less and expanding my knowledge base, which is something I really need to do more of.

Last edited:

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
If anyone is looking for a good book on the subject of nature, I highly recommend "Wilderness and the American Mind". It's a good read although quite long. And for the parents and future parents out there, I love "Last Child in the Woods"

Both fairly "green" leaning books, but offer good perspective.

sixstringsteve

Thanks curt, I just ordered both of those. I find myself leaning more and more green every day (but not because of the documentaries or undertones in the books I read). I look forward to reading these.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I often find myself coming back to the argument of Conservation vs. Preservation and feel that if Gifford Pinchot had been a tenth the writer that John Muir had been we would be seeing things a bit differently. (By "we" I mean the collective "we".)

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I highly recommend the DVD by Chad Booth, "The County Seat Wilderness, The Whole Picture" for the political side. As far as life goes the outdoors is a beautiful, honest, tough life teacher of responsibility and consequences of actions. Just ask any farmer or rancher. The only place I feel closer to God is in the Temple or Church.
A good book on how people and governments evolve is "Earth Abides" by George R. Stewart. It starts with a catastrophe with few people left on earth and how they evolve.