What in the world is going on with my torches?

tiny2085

HomeGrown
So about 2 months ago I bought a set of torches off of ebay. regulators,handle,hose, rosebud tip, pretty much everything. Well I just got my tanks on saturday and started to use them that day. They worked good. but they started acting weird right before I finished using them. I didn't think anything of it till I tried to use them tonight. First when I try to "lean" out the mixture it starts to pop like about 1,00 black cats are going off, and then usually goes out. I tried different hoses, different torch body, no dice. Could there be an air leak into the line somewhere ? I don't know what else to do. i'm running my pressure at about 25 O2 and 7Acet. And yes the hoses are hooked up correctly. :-\ I just want to cut my spring hangers off.

Caleb

Any time it pops it means there is an air leak, with it popping like that I would say you deffinitely have a good air leak...double check all the fittings and make sure they are tight, including hose fittings and the fittings on the torch body...

tiny2085

HomeGrown
I tried the soap method, and did find one leak, but I tightened it and it didn't help. I swithced the lines with another set and a different torch body, better, but it will still pop if i try to lean it out to where it should be. The flame is also not uniform, it's kind of like a star. I did just do some cutting with it, and it works, but that popping is F-ing loud. Could it be a problem with regulators ? Seems like you should expect more out of a 75$ set of torches. :rolleyes:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I run my act at about 10-12 psi, I'm assuming you know how to adjust a tourch. The center blue tips should be chrisp and clean looking.

TooeleBronco

let's go wheelin
Clean your tip. Mine pops when the tip gets dirty. If you don't have a tip cleaner you need to get one. They are cheap and it is easy to clean the tips.

tiny2085

HomeGrown
I do have a tip cleaner, and took the tip off and it looks as clean as a whistle, i'll try turning up my pressure, right now i'm only about 27 on the O2.

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
definately a low pressre problem that popping happens when the flame gets back inside the tip, recommended acet pressure is 4-7, oxygen is 35-45. you want to adjust to a nuetral flame when the cutting lever is not engaged. This is done by adjusting the amount of oxygen until the feather becomes one with the cone, The cone is the smallest and brightest part of the flame and the feather is the next brightest and vary's in size between carbeurizing flame and Neutral flame.