What is a good setup for Utah?

skeptic

I posted this on a jeep site and got some good answers (and was led here as well), but I thought I'd toss it out for general discussion here. When it comes to rocks, I'm a complete newbie. As of next week I'll be relocated to the SLC area so I don't even know the area or what to expect for wheeling.

When it comes to wheeling around SLC, Moab as well as more local areas, what would be considered the minimum specs to hit the trails with others, not waste everyones time needing to be dragged over every obstacle, and generally keep up without being a pain in the butt? For this discussion, assume a decent cross section of local trails, not what it takes to run the most hardcore, as well as taking bypasses. Again, I'm trying to get an idea of the minimum necessary to get out and start enjoying the trails.

If it matters I plan to run a Cherokee, but hopefully the specific rig I run doesn't matter much for this topic other than SFA and wheelbase... I don't even have the Cherokee yet (I plan to get rid of my Wrangler first).

edit: I forgot to mention, this will be my daily driver so keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Caleb

well, if ya got a 4wd you can certainly get out and start enjoying some of the local trails, as you build bigger you can progress to the harder trails but there is a good variety of stuff from fireroads to more extreme than what most can do...just know your limits and I dont think you'll be a burden on anyone ;)

OCNORB

Supporting Member
My personal minimums:

33" inch tires
Rear locker
Strap
tool kit
first aid kit
fluids

Lift is irrelevant- cut out the fenders and go!! :rofl:

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
Personally, for a Cherokee, I would go no less than:

XJ rear D44. 33 spline Superior alloy shafts with 33 spline Detroit.
HP D44 in the front. Warn alloy outers, Dutchman/Superior alloy inners running CTM's and an ARB.
4:88 gears
35" MTR's
Tom Woods NP242 SYE with matching rear shaft.
Lots of lift, and lots of skid protection.

That's what I run.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
TRNDRVR said:

HP D44 in the front. Warn alloy outers, Dutchman/Superior alloy inners running CTM's and an ARB.
35" MTR's

That's what I run.

You have to be one of the first people that have said to run the 242......personally I like mine more than the 231. I just need that SYE from Tom! :sick:

OCNORB

Supporting Member
TRNDRVR said:

35" MTR's

That's what I run.

He said he's a complete newbie. He'll need some time to put together a rig like that. :cool:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I say...

stock suzuki samurai 750$
6.5:1 T-case gears 750$
Lockrights F&R 300$

=

Sleeper from HELL!!!

Bumpers and skids are for wimps...maybe a t-case skid to protect your investment but buy it, beat it, recycle it and swap parts onto a new one!

ewander

I think about 5" of lift and 33's with one locker (you will be happier with two)would be great to run most of the stuff around here. As far as a cherokee goes, get a 97-99 with the high pinion front axle. It comes with the 29 spline 8.25 which is plenty strong up to 35s.

Good luck!

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
with a cherokee, it will progress as you do. start simple, mild lift, 31" tires. when the tires go bald you will be a little more confident in your ability ,and be eager to try more dificult trails. bigger tires a little more lift and some body/undergairrage protection. at this point you are very impressed with your ability to drive the cherokee, so bigger axles and gears, a locker or two, some 35" tires are a must. oh ya dont forget the body saw, those pesky fenders just keep getting in the way.

well....thats about where i am with my cherokee. i would tell you what comes next but i would be guessing, as i have not reached that point yet.

dont be so haisty to get rid of your wrangler. you might as well start with the vehicle you already have.

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
Brett said:
You have to be one of the first people that have said to run the 242......personally I like mine more than the 231. I just need that SYE from Tom! :sick:
Nothing wrong with a 242. I even just put in a factory rebuilt one because I got a good deal on it. It does though not have to mod ability like the 231, but my 242 gets me everywhere I want to go.

OCNORB said:
He said he's a complete newbie. He'll need some time to put together a rig like that. :cool:
It only took me 7 years to get it where it's at today. He's got plenty of time.

Oh yeah, this is the kind of wheeling you can expect in Moab....
moabrimwheelie.JPG

:D

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Badcop said:
Come on Dan scare the kid!!!

1111377912_dscf0511.jpg

You know what's really funny about that picture? The 'No' with the arrow in the background. It seems to be pointing at your rear tire, condemning your roll. :D

cuban b

You're all WEAK SAUCE!
Keep the wrangler, and you can do more than the cherokee already. Spring it over if it is stock. Your investment will be minimal since you already have the wrangler. Open top wheeling is so much better.

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
cuban b said:
Keep the wrangler, and you can do more than the cherokee already. Spring it over if it is stock. Your investment will be minimal since you already have the wrangler. Open top wheeling is so much better.

As much as I like my XJ, I agree with Cuban. Its always an easier start to use something you already own. If done right (you as labor) a SOA will be a good base and a cheap start to get you in the 33-35" tire range. Theres alot of cheap proven build methods, explore here, pirate4x4.com, naxja.org (for the XJ ideas) and so on.

Bud

'98 ZJ
Badcop said:
As much as I like my XJ, I agree with Cuban. Its always an easier start to use something you already own. If done right (you as labor) a SOA will be a good base and a cheap start to get you in the 33-35" tire range. Theres alot of cheap proven build methods, explore here, pirate4x4.com, naxja.org (for the XJ ideas) and so on.
Just make sure yo don't turn uphill coming down the waterfall! Right Brian?!? OOPSIE!

fattodog

frame cracks= More flex!!
OR, maybe you should have listened to the spotters who told you to stay way left to circumnavigate the drop-off! :rofl: KENNETH !!