What is involved in swapping a NP231J that was behind a AW4 Cherokee to a 97 Wrangler

91MJ97TJ

IGNORE ME!!!!!
I am thinking the tailshaft would need to be changed of course. My 97 Tcase took a crap and I found a Cherokee one but not sure how it fits and what is involved to make it work.

Oh yeah AX15 transmission installed on the Wrangler.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
What year is the Cherokee t-case? My concern would be input spline count. Betting you need 23 spline. Check the donor case to see what the count is. There's possible input shaft length differences as well.

91MJ97TJ

IGNORE ME!!!!!
Ok so maybe I am reading this wrong but my Tcase is a post AX15 so the input gear protrudes 2.1". The other Tcase comes from a Aw4 Post '90 so that means it is a medium input and is 1.7".

This could be my issue in having it bolt in. Anybody have experience doing this?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
If there's enough spline engagement, you could trim down the input shaft a tiny bit. You just don't want it to bottom out, that's what cause problems. I think they make a spacer ring for this issue as well.

91MJ97TJ

IGNORE ME!!!!!
I don't think I need to trim it because the one I want to install is smaller. I think just simply swapping the input gear is an option. Haven't read anything about spacers rings at all.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
When I did a tera-low many moons ago, I remembered having to use a .40" spacer ring because the transmission output shaft was too long. However, that was quite a while ago.