What is keeping you on the sidelines?

What needs to be done to get your involvment in land use issues?

• I want to help but I don't know how.

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • I doubt I have any skills you need.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I can't give you more than a couple hours a week.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • I would rather give you money then work.

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
But this is turning into a pissing match and that is not what we need.:eek:

Thanks guys my comment was not a pissing match, but thanks for joining in buddy, I knew you cared ;) It took me 3 weeks to get through to the blm to try to help tacoma's project keep flowing while he is gone, and was pretty much told to wait for him to get back since they are too busy anyway. It would take about a month to see me on a weekday or almost 2 for a weekend. It just becomes so frustrating when myself and others like us volunteer our time, for what seems to be accomplishing nothing. But we just keep chugging along, hoping that in the end it was not in vain. At Least I'm trying I guess

Seth

These go to 11
At Least I'm trying I guess

That is all anyone can ask. The inital meeting is the hard one. They (FS, BLM) tend to think you will go away if the wait is long enough. Making their job easier. Once you have a working relationship and they know you will follow through things get a little easier. This is part of the reason that we have to pick our battles right now. We need to show commitment and followthrough. You can only accomplish that on a given number of projects with a given number of people.

I'm going to blame Steve! :D He's the reason I am not involved much more than I am now. LOL

I know people have personal issues. And while I also know you are joking, it is one of the disappointing facts. Hopefully through this conversation everyone will learn that there are several organizations and their help with any of them helps us all.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
what got me into the U4 was atttending some BLM travel plan meetings and such years ago... listening to the SUWA'ites and other hardcore greenies i decided i needed to get involved... i certainly don't want those nuts convincing my local government that they're voice is what the majority of the public stands for...

if someone were able to make it to a BOD meeting, they'd get a much better understanding of what goes down.... and where they're skills might be able to fit in and help... i completely understand not having the time though... as anyone who fequents those meetings could tell you ;)

-Jason

projektdotnet

Cruiserhead
I would like to get involved but with 2 children, a wife, all the bills and about every other excuse you've probably ever heard I just don't have the time or money to give at this time. I am hoping to get more involved later this season as I have seen many trails that I wanted to run start to be closed :(

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I'm going to blame Steve! :D He's the reason I am not involved much more than I am now. LOL

I know your probably kidding, but but if the reason some of you don't want to get involved is because of one peron in a association, you better move out of this country:rofl: Nobody gets along with everybody. I look at it this way, do you just quit your job everytime your boss does something or makes you do something you hate or don't want to do. Of course not, you put up with it or get past it because it accomplishes the goals of the group. Unfortunently, our boss and employees don't get paid, but the also means that I can tell off my boss without getting fired:greg:

CJJ92yj

For the unknowing, I am completely joking. I'll be knee deep in involvement here shortly, as soon as Steve gets the lead out. hehehe

BLH

was and still am in small way's. Reason it is only in small way's now is, I got tired of being told to get involved when I was involved then told I'm too negative. So basically if I'm to negative, I can helpout since I have problem with how and why things are being done. I believe you got to do more in other element in life then just offroad. Look at biker clubs as example, or even other clubs in calif. or Col. Then compare them to what our state does. So having said that, what now keeps me on sideline is, I got tired of people who I was trying to get involved who I have brought to some events on the old Jeep-Slc list and some still on here, one those asking me why I'm being told to shutup and get involve. From people that know I was there, even from one person that experienced a priceless moment with my youngest daughter up mineral basin planting trees and blocking of by passes and stuff, when she isn't really into wheeling like my oldest is. Sad part is one was the person that give as ride back to parking lot at tible fork when I realized my kid could take it anymore. What is kind of funny to alot of them, I don,t see much involved anymore either I guess media doesn't want to cover it.
Bring on the FLAMES! <GRIN> Ha! Ha! I should setup a poll on website on who will be first to do so.

was and still am in small way's. Reason it is only in small way's now is, I got tired of being told to get involved when I was involved then told I'm too negative. So basically if I'm to negative, I can helpout since I have problem with how and why things are being done. I believe you got to do more in other element in life then just offroad. Look at biker clubs as example, or even other clubs in calif. or Col. Then compare them to what our state does. So having said that, what now keeps me on sideline is, I got tired of people who I was trying to get involved who I have brought to some events on the old Jeep-Slc list and some still on here, one those asking me why I'm being told to shutup and get involve. From people that know I was there, even from one person that experienced a priceless moment with my youngest daughter up mineral basin planting trees and blocking of by passes and stuff, when she isn't really into wheeling like my oldest is. Sad part is one was the person that give as ride back to parking lot at tible fork when I realized my kid could take it anymore. What is kind of funny to alot of them, I don,t see much involved anymore either I guess media doesn't want to cover it.
Bring on the FLAMES! <GRIN> Ha! Ha! I should setup a poll on website on who will be first to do so.

Huh? :eek:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member

Sorry I'm such a douchebag. Oh, and for what it's worth, under the same circumstances, I'd still haul you and your kid back to the parking lot.

91MJ97TJ

IGNORE ME!!!!!
I will say it is gas prices;) that keeps me out but I want to go to clean ups I believe in that. Plus my wife thinks that it is fine that I go clean up and run a few trails is just a side note.:)
But what really keeps me on the sidelines is the fact some people are just so hardcore. Honestly I think a lot of trails should be closed to recover from all the damage. You can't justify destroying something, that will never come back.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
.......But what really keeps me on the sidelines is the fact some people are just so hardcore. Honestly I think a lot of trails should be closed to recover from all the damage. You can't justify destroying something, that will never come back.

Just wanting to clarify your statement here.

Most of the hardcore guys I know will stay on the trail more than the Billy Bob in his new 'off road' Z71 or Jeep Commander. I've seen those types of folks will take a trail and then decide it's more than their rig can handle (hmmm...marketing issue?) and just find a spot to 'get out' and drive out of a wash. One set of tracks will make others follow. It's important to stay in the traveled area of the trail, IMHO. What have you noticed about the 'hardcore' guys/gals that makes you think they're a problem?

If we close more trails, won't that impact the existing open trails even more? There's A LOT more people running built 4x4s, ATVs and other forms of motorized recreation than there were even 10 years ago. Honestly, there's a LOT less trails open than 10 years ago. There's going to be trail impact just from the sheer numbers.

If you do see a 'trail weenie' driving new trails or damaging the trail, have the guts to speak up and let them know that you appreciate them threatening your right to drive on the trail by your perceived misuse.

Seth

These go to 11
Honestly I think a lot of trails should be closed to recover from all the damage. You can't justify destroying something, that will never come back.

I am curious what "damage" you have first hand knowledge off? And how it would "never come back". Or is this an assumption?

Part of the mission of the land use battle is to educate people about misinformation such as that. Lion's back has been closed of a few months now. I saw it when it had been closed for 60 some odd days. Funny thing... all the tire marks were gone. Mother nature is in constant flux. Even the most maintained roads fall apart in a mater of years. So the "never" statement just does not hold water.

As for "hardcore" I assume you mean extremely modified rigs. I can assure you that is not the case. If you come to a U4 meetings you will see that we are people just like you. The board runs the gamete from sight seers to buggy owners. And besides that, the point is mute. These are public lands we are talking about here. I volunteer my efforts so trails for everyone stay open. I could care less what they have under them when they are there.

Every person that uses public lands should be willing to work to maintain them. The volunteer effort behind U4 and other land use advocates produces thousands of volunteer work hours per year. Properly maintained dirt roads have a insignificant impact. It is a mater of maintaining these areas so the impact is minimized. An attitude of close it so it wont get hurt is a simplistic and naive approach. Closing roads does no good. People will just drive the road anyway.

Don't let misinformation and assumptions keep you away. Become a member of any one of the organizations, get educated and volunteer.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I find it funny about the hardcore comment, I refuse to go on any trail that doesn't have at least some merit and challenge. I want to do the harder trails and keep them hard, there are lots of scenic drives and sightseeing trails out there. I would wheel in a city dump if it was hard, and challenged me and my rig. But we all enjoy the outdoors and you have to admit that a lot of the harder trails have no sight seeing aspects to them. I do find it very ignorant when people take there rigs that aren't built or capable of a trail and think its cool that their rig made it after they stacked rocks for 20 minutes or had their buddy winch them or starp them up the trail just so they could brake. I realize that people want to challenge themselves and thier rigs, but if you can't make it the right way, why even bother? It's like cheating on your final exam to get your degree, sure you made it but everyone still thinks you suck.