What is Little Moab?

The Stranger

Stranger Danger
(*Disclamer* this is probably a stupid question. Yes, work is slow today)

As in, why does it exist? I just found it for the first time last weekend and it boggles me. I live about 15 minutes away from there so needless to say I have been up and down miles of dirt roads exploring and have seen nothing like it. Everything around that area is just dirt and slate type rock, then smack in the middle of nowhere, a massive smooth rock formation.

Any geologists out there?

This is not the best picture to show what I'm talking about, but anyone who has been there knows what I mean.

(I probably just made myself sound like an idiot)

PSSnakesNlilMoab0482.jpg

There are similar formations around there and in some of the surrounding ranges. I'm not sure how it's formed or why it's exposed in only those few areas.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
It's an area that is awesome the first 3 times you go, but sucks everytime thereafter.

Geologically I have no clue, but I bet someone around here will have some idea.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Basalt & limestone formations pushed through the porous tritasic shale layers by volcanic and geothermal activity during the Cenozoic timer period, just prior to the draining of Lake Bonneville.

The Stranger

Stranger Danger
Basalt & limestone formations pushed through the porous tritasic shale layers by volcanic and geothermal activity during the Cenozoic timer period, just prior to the draining of Lake Bonneville.

Isn't the Cenozoic time period our current time period? Or maybe it is a group of the most recent time periods? Ehh i'm too lazy to look.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
The Cenozoic is divided into two main sub-divisions: the Tertiary and the Quaternary. Most of the Cenozoic is the Tertiary, from 65 million years ago to 1.8 million years ago. The Quaternary includes only the last 1.8 million years.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
The Cenozoic is divided into two main sub-divisions: the Tertiary and the Quaternary. Most of the Cenozoic is the Tertiary, from 65 million years ago to 1.8 million years ago. The Quaternary includes only the last 1.8 million years.

Isn't the earth supposed to be like 6000 years old???

;)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
For the record my response was 100% off the tip of my tongue and 110% bs. I have no clue why the rocks are there, I suppose that God just wanted them that way. Science as been reverse engineering them since ;)

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Any guess as to who first started wheelin out there and named it Little Moab?

Back when I started going out there, it had been wheeled much. I was part of the now defunct Basin and Range Cruisers, a TLCA membership club. We went out there quite a bit, but back then everyiine called it the Rock Pile. The little section over by the road (teh area next to the big rock formation) had been wheeled much more, and there were quite a few trees on the rocks at Little Moab.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Back when I started going out there, it had been wheeled much. I was part of the now defunct Basin and Range Cruisers, a TLCA membership club. We went out there quite a bit, but back then everyiine called it the Rock Pile. The little section over by the road (teh area next to the big rock formation) had been wheeled much more, and there were quite a few trees on the rocks at Little Moab.

I have some old videos of guys playing around at LM with the Basin and Range group. DJ (DJ's Traction Systems) gave them to me several years ago. I want to say the dates on the tapes were late 80's? Darrell Noorda (previous owner of Cruiser Outfitters) and an old Basin and Range member told me about the trees and how you used to never see a soul out that way... he would have been out that way sometime in the 80's too I presume?