What is overlanding? An expedition versus car-camping?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Precisely. Except tomatoes are delicious food, tomatoes, avocados and boobs are proof that God loves mankind.

CIEIFNS recognizes God by the existence of the holy trinity of B's. Bacon, Beer, Boobs.

CIEIFNS does not recognize U - effin - N. The appropriate term should be U MF N.

This is becoming tangental.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
You sir have an interesting memory. Being our coffee boy hardly makes you the secretary of the BOD. We have had several quorum discussions since the Lake Bonneville debate. Your obviously not aware of our current projects.

Are you saying I've been demoted? That stings. I've been a loyal shorthand typist for you since the beginning. I may have to look into what positions CIEFNS has...

Hardly, JINM is global, we have delegates in 57 nations. We are bigger than the U - effin' - N!

U MF N has 193 members and two observer states. Just saying... you're kinda small potatoes.

Precisely. Except tomatoes are delicious food, tomatoes, avocados and boobs are proof that God loves mankind.

No beer?!?! Where is Kurt and what have you done with him?!?!

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Baldish user mbryson approves of this thread :D

ish?

tumblr_inline_mp1zixZpKP1qz4rgp.jpg

Box Rocket

bored
I agree with Scott Brady's assessment on the topic as well, and I most definitely DO NOT fit the criteria. However, I seem to get the label constantly online purely because of basic rig setup and gear. I've boiled it down to if you have a RTT and a snorkel you will get the label, period. I'm grateful that the local group I hang with knows better.

I am a car camper at best. Until I am living out of my rig for more than a week in a remote location, and covering large distances in the process, I cannot even begin to consider anything I do an "expedition" and neither can anyone else for that matter. Just my opinion.

Obviously an "expedition" in the true sense does not need to involve a vehicle, but I use it here since it's a part of this demographic.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Ah, I miss the halcyon days of having nothing to do at work but rove the internet and partake of these kinds of shenanigans-- and make no mistake, shenanigans is what they is.

It is barely a trip if it is shorter than 4 days of away-from-home roaming. Now, here in UT that will get you almost 3 solid days of good honest seeing and exploring, but like I said, BARELY A TRIP. The ice in your gay-ass Yeti cooler has barely melted, if that.

Expedition? If you're not living in the truck and pushing HARD for a minimum of 10 days, you are on a trip. Expeditions are hallmarked by remoteness, by necessary MacGuyvering and solitary ability-- though small groups are obviously encouraged. As mentioned early: Lewis and Clark, expeditioning. Thomas Moran and Henry Jackson, definite expeditioning. E7 across Siberia, you bet. Your little trip to the geode beds? No. Not even in your Up-Country Wagoneer. Sorry.
While I'm at it, tooling around the freeways doesn't make your RTT-equipped Land Cruiser an expedition rig. It makes it a top-heavy pig that for most people makes about as much sense as tits on a goat. Got any recovery equipment? Know how to use it? How about your sweet E-lockers, bro? Get outta here. Your IPF's don't light up the trail when you're not on it.

On the other hand, it's America. Spend your money. Do your thing. I don't get that worked up about it. I might crack a joke, so what. Posers are everywhere, but there are also a lot of people who want a whiff of the scent of true expedition life-- and all of that shows in the demeanor of the guy or gal driving the rig. As for the obvious "but what about you", I drive a big pig of a Suburban. It's got IPF's, from Kurt no less- I used the hell out of them in WY and UT in the oilfield to see the stupid antelope trying to kill me on the dirt roads out there. It's got a Hi-lift in the back, and I've used it to lift, and squeeze, and push and pull. I'd love a winch. I've slept in the back and spent a few weeks in the back of nowhere, painting pictures. I don't call it an expedition rig. To me, it's a daily driver than can do a bunch of stuff. It's got a locker and it will get another one, and I know how they work and make my vehicle behave, and what it can and can't do. I have some 5.11 shirts, but I bought them in Afghanistan because they were half-price. They're great. They don't have logos on them, they have pockets and they have held up to a lot of abuse. Thumbs up! Your Ex-Officio stuff looks great, enjoy it. I'd love a fridge, because painting for a couple days somewhere, it's nice to have a cold one, or three.

Way too much worrying all around about what whoever calls this or that. Do, or do not, there is no try!!!

anyway. Stephan, you are definitely demoted from JINM, on principles various and justified. Just accept it, you can still have an Otter Pop. Gawd.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
All of my clothes offer insect and UV protection. It's amazing!

That is actually you... bugs feel they have nothing to take from a gypsie, so they don't try. For thousands of years gypsies have been out swindling under the sun, you have grown impervious to the sun.