What is this axle out of??

Corban_White

So, we finally got around to yanking the busted shafts out of the scout. Now I need to know what vehicle the axle is from. Here are the pics:

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

As you can see, a bit of a hack job has been done on this axle, I.E. the spring perch welded to the casting, etc. The details are as follows:

• The stub shaft is 6 3/8 long from the seal to the end of the splines
  • at the seal end the dia. is 1.313
  • in the middle it is 1.125
  • the spline dia. is ~1.225
  • it has 19 splines
  • the axle has IH hubs
  • the long shaft is 33 5/8 from the backside of the yoke to the end of the splines
  • the diameters are as follows, starting from the yoke side:
  • 1.27, 1.345, 1.319, 1.1, 1.285
  • it has 30 splines
Let me know if anyone knows what vehicle this axle came out of so I can get parts for it.

Also, how does the oil stay in the diff? On the long shaft I could not see any kind of sealing surface?

LT.

I don't know all the specs on a Chevy but, just by looking at your photos that is what I would say it is. Somewhere between 1973 and 1987 if I had to guess. I really don't know much about them other than how they look. I am judging this off of the U bolt placement on the short side. Chevy also used to neck down their shafts a lot like your pictures show. But, you really should not listen to me because I don't know my axle from a hole in the ground.:D It does look like your seal went out on the long side a while ago. Maybe it was missing?

LT.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
The knuckles are definitely IH because of the eight spindle bolts. Dont know on the axle itself. Is it not a scout housing? Maybe early drum brake waggy converted over to scout outers???

rollover

I'm thinking IH out of a 70-73 3/4 HD -1 ton? Its been a while since I've seen one. I think Dana made some of their axles. You may want to reference DANA on line?

JM2C

rmpipe

Thanks for the help. Corban and I found out that the axle is out of a international 73 1/2 - 75 200 pickup or station wagon. The problem now is attempting to locate one.

Does anyone have any ideas on where we might find these? Anybody know of compatible shafts from another vehicle?

Thanks again for all the help,

Chandler

Corban_White

Anybody know of compatible shafts from another vehicle?

This is the big one. If we could find a common vehicle with the same long side assembly that would be awesome.

EDIT: I would also still like to know how the oil sealing is accomplished?

Last edited: