what kind of winch would you get, besides Warn & Ramsey?

What winch would you get, besides a Warn or a Ramsey?

• Superwinch

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • MileMarker

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • T-Maxx

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • as cheap as possible (Chicago Electric)

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • other, please specify in post....

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters

jfonze

Warn tends to be to expensive, and I have a Ramsey right now and I am not very impressed with it.....

what are your thoughts and does anyone have the inside scope on whats what with each company?

Caleb

:rofl: funny, as I read the title I thought to myself, I'd go without a winch if I couldn't get a Warn (atleast until I could afford to get a Warn)...then I open the thread and just about everyone has said the same thing :rofl:

I think that says something;)

jfonze

OK, so obiousy warn is well known and has a reputation, but seriously, is it just because they have one of the best marketing campaines ever or has everyone hear had experiance with all of them and know Warn is the only one that works?

The only 2 winches that I really have had experiance with are warn and Ramsey. I've never seen a warn have problems except for the cable snaping 3 times in one day in 2 seperate instances. Brand new winch, first time out. Ramsey on the other hand, well the crap I have gone through with that one would take along time to cover....

But honestly, Superwinch was the winch of the camel trophy, probobly the most grueling 4wd offroad event ever...

And T-max though new on the seen, is gaining alot of popularity,.... I can't imagine they would be that bad...

James K

NO, I'm always like this
jfonze said:
But honestly, Superwinch was the winch of the camel trophy, probobly the most grueling 4wd offroad event ever...

And T-max though new on the seen, is gaining alot of popularity,.... I can't imagine they would be that bad...
I say stick with your gut feeling and buy one and report back on what you think.

I had a ramsey and traded for the warn only because the warn wouldn't fit in the bumper the guy had, thus I traded him my ramsey that would. The warn is noiser than my ramsey was but, other then that I like them both.

rrefx

Personally I have a warn 9.5 ti with a synthetic rope, I went with warn again gecause this is my third, and they've never failed me. If you don't want warn, I think that Superwinch is the best. I know a number of guys that run the Superwinch Husky 10, and will swear up and down by them and the worm drive system. I'm sure you can find it locally for cheaper, but these guys https://www.expeditionexchange.com/superwinch/ do a nice write up on the Superwinch if you scroll down under the products. The only problem is that you do get what you pay for, and I don't see the Superwinch as being any cheaper. Like James said, go with your instincts, and also a winch isn't anything you want to skimp on.

Ryan

jfonze

cruiseroutfit said:
Fonze, I think you already made up your mind... Why don't you just come out of the closet and say it... ;)

man Kurt, ya had to bust my balls didn't ya.....;)

The truth is at this point I haven't made up my mind on anything. I do know what I am leaning tward but at this point I haven't settled on one thing yet...

Whats your take on it?

Last I remember you were a big Warn Advocate.....

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
jfonze said:
...Whats your take on it?....

I think their is a market for just about everything... look at the crap people buy for their rigs...

However, do you want to be know as the shop that sells stuff "one notch up" from Harbor Freight, or the guy that sells ONLY the best. There are alot of products that fill in the middle ground, but why chance the bad rep? Look at what Genuine's have done for 4WPW, there are many similar instances.

Your only bad experience is with a winch cable breaking... I can tell you now that the winch was most likely overloaded as they design the cable to go before the motor. The owner (Pete?) should step up a size of cable 5/16" - 3/8" and be done with it (I am sure he is running synthetic now).

I have owned several Warns, all have been great ;)

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I personaly have never seen a Warn break. I have however seen a few Ramsey winches break.

Look at it this way, when you are stuck knee deep in mud, or hanging off a ledge, or barried up to your doors in snow, do you want to Hope you get out or Know you will get out?

Go Warn.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
There is a reason that Warn has the reputation that they have.

Another vote for Warn. :D

I won't even look twice at a Ramsey or others, unless it's used as a suspension limiter.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I've had Warn and Ramsey. Will only buy Warn. Tons of problems with the Ramsey. The only winches that seem to always work right are Warn. Warn or nothing for me.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
It's all about a manual hand winch. Goes as fast as you can crank, just as reliable as the person working it. :rofl:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
My first thought was is there any other brands? ;) Warn all the way...

Do you think Warn's marketing campaign kept the winch working even after breaking the cable three times? No amount of marketing can make a good product, but they can sell the heck out of crap.... Bill Gates and Windows - need I say more! :D

I have a Warn and I have pulled a full size Bronco up eagles nest without any troubles. I only have one yellow top battery and didn't even have my truck running when I did it. I also pulled up a CJ, TJ almost a second full size Bronco, but he backed out and wanted to be set back down. Granted, I do have a 16.5ti on my Rubicon, but to be able to pull 5 rigs up a 10' waterfall in a matter of 45 minutes or so without overheating or giving up the ghost? This was also not the first time, nor will it be the last.

I would rather spend an extra $200 and keep from walking, wouldn't you? Suck it up, buy the best and save yourself from walking.