• 300 I6 Ford gasser

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • 6.2L GM with Solid Axle

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Anything else that would be better?

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters

RockRoach

If you go with the Ford IDI diesel make sure you ask the owner if he used a coolant additive to prevent cavitation. If he doesn't know what you're talking about then run away. These motors will not last more than 150,000 miles before pinholes develop in the cylinder walls unless the additive has been used.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks for the reply's :)

I found a 90 F250 with a 5speed and the 7.3 down the street from me. True grandpa truck for $4000...

I'll keep you all posted :D

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I found it! :)

I just picked up an 86 F250 XLT 4x4 with a 6.9, a 4 speed and a flat bed for fairly cheap. It has 150K original miles and so far I'm pretty happy with it. Lot's of power too :D I'll post pics (might be awhile) for all that are interested... Thanks again for the reply's

Andrew

StormRider

LOL I was gonna say the same thing. I'd rethink the 300...we had one in a shop truck and it SUCKED towing anything above 30mph. And without overdrive, it sucked even more.

Get the Cummins with the NV4500. Do not get the other 5-speed. No idea on the auto.

For anyone else reading the thread, stay the hell away from the auto trash, er transmission, I drove a 93 dodge 3/4 ton w/ Cummins and an auto. In 2 years, it went back to the dealer 4 times to have to transmission reworked because the damn pos blew up on me.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
For anyone else reading the thread, stay the hell away from the auto trash, er transmission, I drove a 93 dodge 3/4 ton w/ Cummins and an auto. In 2 years, it went back to the dealer 4 times to have to transmission reworked because the damn pos blew up on me.

X2 :)

Common 3.07 R&P's, no torque converter lockup and low rpm diesel grunt = :(

It was hard to win with any Dodge diesel tranny (manual or auto) in the early years, but with a little money the sky is the limit :)

btw I'm still lovin the Ford IDI!

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
The 6.9 is sweet....I guess, that and since your such a true blue ford fan from the time you were born it'll be good for you. I am glad to see you happy again.:rofl::D:greg::hickey::);):p

GOAT

Back from the beyond
If you go with the Ford IDI diesel make sure you ask the owner if he used a coolant additive to prevent cavitation. If he doesn't know what you're talking about then run away. These motors will not last more than 150,000 miles before pinholes develop in the cylinder walls unless the additive has been used.

X2

Good luck with the 6.9. I had a N/A 7.3 5spd and put over 200k on it with no real issues. It wouldn't do over 70mph towing in the altitude though.......

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks for the link GOAT :)

I'm really enjoying this truck. It has 3.55 gears (that are supposibly rare) so it cruises pretty good for having a 4 speed m/t. Though it's not as powerfull as any modern turbo diesel it definatly has more umphh than any stock small block gasser i've ridden in....

Anyway it seems to work really well for what I planned on doing with it :D

btw it holds 3 gallons of engine oil, and 8 gallons of antifreeze! :ugh:

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Thanks for the link GOAT :)

I'm really enjoying this truck. It has 3.55 gears (that are supposibly rare) so it cruises pretty good for having a 4 speed m/t. Though it's not as powerfull as any modern turbo diesel it definatly has more umphh than any stock small block gasser i've ridden in....

Anyway it seems to work really well for what I planned on doing with it :D

btw it holds 3 gallons of engine oil, and 8 gallons of antifreeze! :ugh:

Good to hear you are enjoying it!

FTE is a great site. There was a lot of great info on there that helped to put my mind at ease when purchasing my V10.