what paint to use??? axles, springs and such

I need to paint some springs, axles and some other stuff down there. What paint will hold up the best.

Also, Does anyone know where I can get the full length teflon pads to put between the leafs of my springs?

1993yj

I always just use some spray paint, usually whatever is cheapest at the Depot. In my experience the paint needs to be redone due to rocks rather than just not lasting or holding up, as long as it is on your off-road rig. As for teflon, no idea.

R

rockdog

.99 cent black from walmart. cheap and you can afford to paint often.:D thats what i use.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
As far as the plastic goes, there is a place on the west side, I want to say somewhere around like 33rd S/900 W? or 300 W? anyway they have all kinds of plastic available. Enough HDPE or UHMW to do a set of springs ought to be pretty cheap.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Have you got a spray gun? There's a place out of New Jersey on Ebay that sells acrylic enamel for about $40 a gallon. Do a search, it'll pop up. I've done 3 entire undercarriges, and have about half the original gallon left.

Will the acrylic last longer? I just want the axles to still be black in a couple years. The axles are going on my wrangler that will mostly be for rocks but still is going to be driven on the streets here and there.

Tacoma said:
As far as the plastic goes, there is a place on the west side, I want to say somewhere around like 33rd S/900 W? or 300 W? anyway they have all kinds of plastic available. Enough HDPE or UHMW to do a set of springs ought to be pretty cheap.

Thanks, I'll check that out and see what I can find.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I used his same paint on the exterior. Hasn't even started to dull yet, and it's been 3 years now.

crimsonride said:
Will the acrylic last longer? I just want the axles to still be black in a couple years. The axles are going on my wrangler that will mostly be for rocks but still is going to be driven on the streets here and there.

Klif01

Do I bother you?
I just buy the cheap spray paint...probably cause I'm too lazy to do good prep/cleaning work, and after the winter at least, my undercarriage is a nice golden brown again...

what about that por15 stuf?

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Brad said:
What do you guys do to prep other than wire brush the surface down?

Wire wheel, then I just wipe everything down with either brake cleaner or paint thinner. Do this till you aren't getting anything coming off the metal on your rag.

nvrstuk

crap, i'm stuck...
hammerite! it sprays right over rust and stops it from spreading. no prep involved, and it give it that cool "hammered" look. like $4 or $5 a can, but well worth it!

nvrstuk said:
hammerite! it sprays right over rust and stops it from spreading. no prep involved, and it give it that cool "hammered" look. like $4 or $5 a can, but well worth it!

Yeah, I like that stuff. I've used it on my bumpers and stuff like that. How well does it hold up to the road? Will it last more than a year?

ATOYA4U

Cheating is trying!!
por 15 !!!! kills rust,no prep involved... Did mine with it and it looks awsome and no more rust. A small can is plenty enough and it costs about $30 at any auto paint supplier!!

1993yj

You can get the Hammerite at the Depot, right by the rest of the spray paint. I have personally never used it. I dont like the thought of the rust still being there under my paint. I repaint stuff to get rid of the rust, not just cover it. I just take the time to scrape and prep.