What part of the longfeild is warenteed?

fergusor

I think the whole thing is covered. I just sent one in today for the inner cage being cracked and it was covered. Mine was do to the steering stop being broke off along with the 2 bolts from the hysteer sheering off which caused it to go past and break.

87runnerbabe

tracy, for sure? I know you know. :D the cage just blew ALL TO HELL. chewed up the cup and outter ring. But the cup didn't break.

What do you think about the new longs? whats the diffence? What did you send in your axles for? Whas it one or two times you have warranteed?

Got pix of your carnage? I do but not uploaded till tomorow.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I think Bobby wil take care of you, I was under the assumption that the entire birf was warrantied unless he could prove your bumpstops were past the limit. At least you will get a new 38* one.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
fc3145df.jpg
fc3145dd.jpg
fc3145dc.jpg
Both are down....

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
I think I broke just about everything right there. Trying to drag my junk backwards with no steerring and hitting leafes didn't help either. The pass side was still turnin :D just fubar. thats why I couldn't find the right spot to drop my arm into. I was staring at my long :D looked weird

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
here is a thread....
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106568
Here is a quote from desert toy... I think he is like an "official tester" This is in the Toyota FAQ's thread
What everyone needs to know about Longfields
After months of testing myself and talking to other people that run them I have compiled a list of things that Longfield owners need to pay attention to. These are not suggestions, these are facts based on multiple failure analysis.

1. You must grease these things before you install them.

2. They will be blue in color when you recieve them and you will have to tap them on the axle splines when you first install them but that is OK.

3. You must use a "Martack" on your inner axles. When measuring for the Martack, grease the inner axle splines on the side that slides in the differential. Install the inner axle by its self just far enough so that the seal surface on the axle matches up with the lip of the oil seal and then remove it. look at the impression in the greased splines that the splines in the 3rd member made and put your martack so that the axle cannot slide in any further than your mark. DO NOT GO BY ANYONE ELSES MEASUREMENT! There are too many varyables. Just do it yourself and you will be sure that it is right.

3. Before you install the knuckle, clean it up real good and either remove the top 4 trunion bolts (the ones that the steering arm mounts to) and reinstall them with permanent thread locker, or make sure that they are seated properly and tack weld them on the inside of the knuckle.

4. You must use a snap ring on the locking hub side of the Longfield. You must NOT use a snap ring on the outside (Longfield side) of the axle shaft.

5. The factory steering stops are made out of a piece of angle iron that is welded onto the axle tube. These stops are weak and WILL bend with use and throw off your steering stop adjustment. Either weld a bolt down the center of them to strengthen them or cut then off and replacement them with something stronger.

6. The steering stop adjustment is the most critical adjustment you can do to make you steering components and your Longfields live. To do this you must start by centering your steering box. With your drag link disconnected, rotate your steering wheel from lock to lock while counting the turns of the steering wheel. Divide that # by 2, to get the # of turns from lock position to center. With the steering box centered, hook up the drag link without moving the steering wheel. The knuckle assembly MUST be centered also. If it is not, adjust the length of your drag link to accomplish this. Next, disconnect the tie rod, and with the drag link hooked up and the steering stops backed off all the way, turn the wheel all the way to the left until the Longfield binds. You can tell when it binds by having a buddy turn the hub (tire) while you do this. When the hub (tire) gets hard to turn, the Longfield is binding. Set your stops on the right (passengers) knuckle so that this does not happen. Now turn the wheel all the way to the right and do the same thing. Next, hook up you tie rod and with the Left (drivers) side steering stops backed off turn the steering wheel all the way to the left until the RIGHT (passengers)steering stop does its job. Adjust the LEFT (drivers) steering stop at this point. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and do the same thing.
This adjustment needs to be checked perodically.

7. Go wheeling but make sure to bring spare inner axle shafts.

8. If you break a Longfield change it immediatly. Call Bobby when you get home and if it meets the warrenty criteria he will send you another one.

SeaBass44

Looks like your bumpstops were not set even close to stopping them from getting to much angle:( I bet he will warrenty them anyway, 2000 sold 20 broke, what has he got to loose? Next time install them correctly ya crazy ****er:p :p :p How big a tire? dragged backwards????:D

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
passanger side steering arm sheered two bolts and two stripped out
destroying my bearing.............thats most of the marks on the one lonnnnnnngyyyyyfild................. ( hows that for spelling)
not sure how long it was busted, one was still turning on passanger side. driver side stopped while trying to back out with no steering.
driver side cup is perfect as far as scars are concerned
steering stops are ok............

i was running stock inners, 40.17 hogs home cut with yours turly cutting iron......(true measurements are 38.5 x 14 wide tread)
was in a narly canyon, that was mostly lose shale
and right foot
but at point of breakage i was straight.............no noise, no boom, nada..................just after carnage

crunch, cruch,,,,,,crunch ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,chew ,............cheww.....................then i spewed
still have to call bobby............
now you cry babies lets see your carnage.....................

white trash rules

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
well, bobby has chimed in over to pirate and is saying that he may not warentee. I'll cut and past and thread link. I'm having mixed feelings if he doesn't warentee the one that the steering came off of. But I'll leave it at that. I'll call him early next week and get it all going. Gotta call highangle and get him to rebuild my driveline to .25 and sleave the yoke somehow. All my longdistance will be called at once.
either of you got pics of the broken longs? or at least a decent description?

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
from bobby off pirate...

I DON'T THINK SO!!!
Now come on guys. If you were me, would you warentee these? Knowing full well that when those steering bolts were sheared off that all the load was on the poor birfields. I just recieved 2 broken birfields yesterday (5-9) with no address, no note or phone number. How do I know whose they are or where they came from? Lets try a different approach next time, why don't we contact me first. I found out about this second hand from a friend. Everybody on this board knows I stand very fairly on our warentee. But, under these conditions, I don't think so. If you feel the need to discuss this futher, give me a call (253) 847-8254