What Should I do next?

What should I do next to my Grand Cherokee?

• Total voters

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
I agree, take it out and get it dirty and see how it goes then I think you will have a better idea of what to do next

Bart

I agree, wheel it and find out what you need to do. We also have no idea what you have done. With all that said, I rock sliders are a must for any XJ, ZJ, or WJ that goes wheeling. Those rockers take a beating pretty quick.

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Well I do wheel it, and so far I think I should do the rock sliders cuz I keep jacking my rocker panel. But at the same time I dont want to get a hole in my gas tank. I decided a Hi-Lift could wait because it isn't a must. As far as performance a high flow cat would be nice as well as swapping to a stronger axle with a lower gear ratio to bring it back to stock performance. I mostly I mostly wheel rocks, with the occational snow. I have already done a bunch of stuff to it. Check out the members rigs thread Grand Cherokee Pimpin. Just trying to get some opinions to see what is the best thing to do.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
well, if you do an 8.8 and re-gear, you'll have to gear the front too. All said and done thats a pretty costly project and one that I would do in conjunction with a long arm setup. If you're not planning on going over 33's, you'll probably be just fine with the axles you have.

rocksliders are key if you want to keep your rockers straight. If you have a tow package, then you can get by for a bit w/o a gas tank skid plate. Hi lifts are great, but I only use one if it's a last resort--maybe once a year or something? If you wheel alone a lot it's probably a good idea to have one.

a free flow cat won't make much of a difference. I've done intake and full exhaust on all of my ZJ's and there really isn't a substantial differance--and the cat wouldn't even be noticable I don't think.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
The price range of these items varies so widely. The axle swap which will require a front axle re-gear will probably cost more than all the other items combined.

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Those are all good points, I already have the 8.8 so I guess I will do that at a later time. I will plan on the sliders as my next upgrade. Im planning on doing Claytons long arm lift with 38's a while after I graduate. But like you said that is a costly project especially with the axle swap and gears at the same time. I want to get lockers also but I dont want to spend the money on those before I get new gears. (waste of money) While I'm installing the rock sliders I might throw some rock lights on at the same time.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
If you're giong to 38's you may want to consider something other than the 8.8.

and a v8 swap ;) Trust me, even geared down to 4.56/4.88's, with 35's or bigger that jeep won't want to move very fast.

if you're honestly looking at going that big, then I would really consider picking up a v8 ZJ and selling what you have. You'll be much happier in the long run.

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Well this isn't going to be my daily driver, it will be strictly wheelin. Do you really think the straight 6 won't push/pull me along at a 1/2 mph ha ha. And even if i cant go 38's I will be going 37's for sure. Anyway thanks for the input, if i just had money lyin around I probably would go buy a V8. But I will save that for another project.

With the choices you give, I'll take sliders. I expected to see lockers on the list, and that's what I would have chosen.

I think it's awesome that you wanna modify your GC enough to run 37's.

However, if it were MY GC, I'd do sliders, lock-rites and a winch and enjoy the hay out of it instead of making it something that it's not. Save money for gears, then do them after the winch. When you graduate, then do the high-dollar stuff. (like fitting 37's on a GC, with unibody reinforcement, stout axles, gears, steering, proper suspension, etc)

Unique is cool, and I love seeing heavily modified Grands and other non-TJ's on the trail (I like TJ's too), but from my perspective, I'd rather be wheelin' than waitin'.

A LOT of fun can be had with 32-33" tires, flexible suspension, lockers, sliders and a winch. Especially when it means that you're staying within your rig's "design envelope" (not that a Grand can't be modified, it just takes a third more calories)

I wheeled a blazer, sammy and cherokee and when I decided to move up to 38's I picked a rig that would be easily modified to fit them...I saw how bad it would thrash my cherokee (and saw other cherokees getting thrashed). In the years since, the rig with 38's has done very few trails that locked up rigs with 33's couldn't do, I know since there were often rigs like that with me. And it usually had to be trailered.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Well this isn't going to be my daily driver, it will be strictly wheelin. Do you really think the straight 6 won't push/pull me along at a 1/2 mph ha ha. And even if i cant go 38's I will be going 37's for sure. Anyway thanks for the input, if i just had money lyin around I probably would go buy a V8. But I will save that for another project.

It'll probably go at 1/2 mph, but if you ever want to blast up a sand dune, go fast on a back road, you'll hate it. You'll be money ahead if you move into a v8 model now and much happier in the long run.

Only 1 of my ZJ's have been the 4.0, and I'll never do that again. I absolutely hate everything about that POS motor.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Most people don't have any idea what it takes to get a ZJ up to that level....I know I didn't when I built my first one.

Hey, if anyone cares, my old ZJ buggy is still alive and kicking down in AZ. so bah to people who think unibody can't hold up to severe abuse for a long period of time.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Most people don't have any idea what it takes to get a ZJ up to that level....I know I didn't when I built my first one.

Hey, if anyone cares, my old ZJ buggy is still alive and kicking down in AZ. so bah to people who think unibody can't hold up to severe abuse for a long period of time.

Bah back at you....how much of the OG unibody is left?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
haha, well, the front clip. Everything forward of the A pillar is still unibody and not tied into the cage. We never really got around to doing that

Bart

You need to clarify that. Most people don't know what it takes to make a ZJ (or XJ) to that level that actually works. I've seen lots of hack jobs running big tires that I wouldn't drive on the road or off the road.