What size bike to get?

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
so I rode a big cruiser for the first time last night. My friend has a Yamaha 1900 Midnight Star and managed to get me on it last night and take it for a ride. I have never ridin before aside from his little 125 dirt bike about a month ago when he taught me and now I want a big bike. He told me I shouldn't waiste my money buying anything smaller because after 6 months I'll want a big one. It's going to have to wait until next summer but I really think I'm going to do it. Any pointers on what size bike to get for a first time rider. I know I would eventually end up wanting one similar to his because that thing is really easy to ride and man is it fast. Oh and you won't ever catch me dead on or off a crotch rocket, I like my life too much.

Bart

Get the biggest you can afford, because the first time you go on a ride and get left in the dust you'll be wanting more bike. As for which brand, the metrics are cheaper and I hear ride pretty smooth. The Harleys are more expensive, rumble, and the newer ones are fairly bullet proof. The older ones you'll work on a bit more. I'm going to buy a Harley.

jp008

worlds-largest-motorcycle.jpg

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Spencurai has a Roadliner that I have had the chance to ride and it is a bada$$ bike. It has 120+ horsepowers at the rear wheel and is more than enough for any experienced rider, let alone a novice. When he is ripping it, it will break loose in second gear with his 320lb body.

I have a Vstar 1100 and it is a good bike and has plenty of juice. The downside of any vstar is that you always look for the non-existent 6th gear on the highway.

Spence and I have a buddy with a Big Dog and it is comedy gold watching him try to ride that thing anywhere. Too raked out and a rigid rear makes my kidneys hurt just seeing him roll around.

I don't believe you should buy the biggest bike you can afford. Buy a bike that is comfortable and handles well. Bring the power after you get some seat time... Then you'll know why you wanted a bike in the first place and what you really want.

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
Go look at the hondas, The 1300's or the 1700's are both pretty sweet bikes for the price. I own a victory that I love, Mine has alot done to it, stock they are EFI 6 speed 101 CI.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I just looked at the Honda's online and they are really good looking bikes and I think I could do a 1300, I think it would be enough power but not too much for me to handle for a few years, I might just take my friends out every now and then and see how I handle it maybe by next summer I could do a 1700 or bigger because for almost 800 lbs that thing has some balls not to mention very comfy.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I have a Vstar 1100 and it is a good bike and has plenty of juice. The downside of any vstar is that you always look for the non-existent 6th gear on the highway.

Well luckily for me if I did get a Vstar I'd never miss sixth gear. I only got that thing up to about 40 the other day but it sure did it quick.

Crinco

I have an 1100 V-Star and a 1300 V-Star. The 1100 is geared a LOT lower and I am always searching for the next gear. It was designed way back when the highways were 55 mph and so it is geared for that. The 1300 has a wide ratio trans and cruises @ 75 mph very well, doesn't rev out like the 1100 will. I believe the 1300 is all around a better bike, ie... EFI, liquid cooled, better gearing, bigger bags (on the tourer), ect. It is a newer model and so they have worked out most bugs, but some remain. As for power, the 1300 has plenty, even the 1100 has enough to pull the mountains two up!
The only downside I have with the 1300 is it seems they built the bike with someone who is about 6'2" or taller in mind. I'm 5'10" and had trouble reaching the bars (back pain after a bit of riding) until I changed the bars and now it feels much better. Also the seat is slightly higher.
Harley's are great machines, but you pay WAY more because you have to pay for the name.
I am glad I started with a smaller bike, there is a lot to learn when your out on the road and more power will not help you learn, but it might get you killed. Like feeling you have the power to pass when you shouldn't for example.
FWIW, I am hearing a lot of great things about the new 950 Yamaha just put out.....

Wear a helmet and be safe what ever you decide :)

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I have an 1100 V-Star and a 1300 V-Star. The 1100 is geared a LOT lower and I am always searching for the next gear. It was designed way back when the highways were 55 mph and so it is geared for that. The 1300 has a wide ratio trans and cruises @ 75 mph very well, doesn't rev out like the 1100 will. I believe the 1300 is all around a better bike, ie... EFI, liquid cooled, better gearing, bigger bags (on the tourer), ect. It is a newer model and so they have worked out most bugs, but some remain. As for power, the 1300 has plenty, even the 1100 has enough to pull the mountains two up!
The only downside I have with the 1300 is it seems they built the bike with someone who is about 6'2" or taller in mind. I'm 5'10" and had trouble reaching the bars (back pain after a bit of riding) until I changed the bars and now it feels much better. Also the seat is slightly higher.
Harley's are great machines, but you pay WAY more because you have to pay for the name.
I am glad I started with a smaller bike, there is a lot to learn when your out on the road and more power will not help you learn, but it might get you killed. Like feeling you have the power to pass when you shouldn't for example.
FWIW, I am hearing a lot of great things about the new 950 Yamaha just put out.....

Wear a helmet and be safe what ever you decide :)

I am starting to like the idea of a 1300, enough power so I don't get bored of it but not so much that I'm going to have too much trouble learning the what I need to to be a safe rider. As for the helmet thing, they are kinda like seat belts to me I were mine all the time whether on the street or trail and I love my daughter way too much not to wear one and risk something stupid killing me.

I am going to go down this week and get my permit so I can ride around legally for a while and then I am going to take the MSF course for free on base. I just have to find a bike to borrow which shouldn't be to hard I know a bunch of people at work that would be willing. I do have to say that my friend is an evil evil man for convincing me to ride that thing, it's all his fault I want one so bad now.

78mitsu

I've been looking for a "ride-to-work" bike. Rode a 1200 sportster. Lighter Bike made 1200 feel like a 1500, they're new at ~$9k.