What SUV to buy?

mph

I am in the market for a new or used SUV. Any ideas of what are some good reliable SUVs out there that have the opportunity to build up in the future. I am thinking imports...Right now, I am looking at a used Land Cruiser. But, open to other ideas and suggestions.

The vechicle would be used in the future for camping and light offroading...Maybe put a 3' lift and lockers on it...

Thanks for your advice, Mike

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I know that used land crusiers usually have a steep price tag.. (don't know why) but make for great trail rigs...

I being a ford man would recommend that you get a bronco or if its just going to be light 4wheeling then an explorer... but a chev blazer does about the same thing and they are easier to lift in the long run and if it has a 350 engine you will be able to find parts in just about any junk yard.

Seeing you said you wanted to go with an import then You might look at some of the 4runners that are out there for sell...

Or you can go the tried and true way and get a cherokee... they do great and a 3 in lift will get you some 31 in tires... and you can find parts in just about any junk yard as well... My neighbor has one for sell I think for for $2500 its a 96 two door....

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
I've seen some pretty sweet Landcruisers out on the trail! The mid-nineties are comimg down in price some. Pretty capable rigs when built too. Plus, you get Toyota reliability and a touch of luxury as well. :D

1993yj

mph said:
The vechicle would be used in the future for camping and light offroading...Maybe put a 3' lift and lockers on it...

For this situation I would only go with a Cherokee, late 90's. I personally would probably never go with an import, mainly due to the fact that I think the later Land Cruisers are ugly (but nearly as bad as the new ones out now), and the 4-Runners are EXTREMELY underpowered. If it didnt have to be an SUV, then it would be a Tacoma hands down though.

kobyhud

Lurker
Isuzu trooper is a good choice if you are on a budget. 3" lift and 33s lock the rear end with an ARB and its perfect for moderate trail riding and daily driving.

Caleb

4-Runner for sure. You can get (from the factory mind you) a super charger and an electric locker. They also have good styling (unlike my wife's 05 Grand Cherokee). The super charger isn't available yet for the newer engines though (I don't think, I could be wrong). You also getthe reliability of a Toyota, which is hard to beat (and this is coming from someone that has almost always owned jeeps)

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
I consider the FZJ80 to be the best stock off road vehicle ever made. Huge beefy solid full floating axles front and rear with disk brakes, electric lockers, and coil springs. The engine is an ultra torquey 4.5 straight six with available supercharger and the entire vehicle is WAY overbuilt for strength and reliability. To build an awesome trail rig from stock, all you need to replace is the bumpers, tires, and a few suspension components. Most domestic SUVs need nearly everything replaced to make them as tough or capable and will never last as long.

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
Cherokee if you wont mind fixing stuff on it, but then again they are inexpensive, We picked up a 93 with 8.25, automatic, 4.0ho hi pinion non disco front. AC, all the extras. Its ugly as sin but he only paid 1200 for it. Leaves alot of room for spending money on other stuff. He picked up the RE 4.5 for 800 bucks with shocks shipped, now needs the tires.

Cherokee = Inexpensive, lots of parts, lots of aftermarket parts.

Toyota = IFS, Expensive lifts, VERY underpowered motors. BUT they are reiliable as hell.

Contagious

My bro just bought the new Jeep Commander... LOVES it. Put 3 inches on that thing and it's a nice machine. You can get it with the Hemi too.

That's the direction I would take if I were in the market.

bb88

New Title
Suzuki!!! I just bought an XL-7 and I like it a lot.good price,dependable,good gas mileage,plenty of power & room.Future plans for a mild lift.

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
bb88 said:
Suzuki!!! I just bought an XL-7 and I like it a lot.good price,dependable,good gas mileage,plenty of power & room.Future plans for a mild lift.

Im down with suzuki, but the tow rating it definitly the suck :) 3,000 lbs !

Last edited:

dep

You had the right idea with the Landcruiser. You really cant find a better vehicle than the 80 series. You can pick up a 94-97 with the factory lockers for around $10k with fairly low miles. (80k-120k) Compared to something like the Cherokee the parts are REALLY expensive but they dont break like a cherokee either. 100k miles is just getting an 80 series broken in and they routinely go 250k-300k miles without major problems. They are solid axle front and rear with coil springs and a 3" lift is easy and inexpensive. One thing to be aware of is the front bumper which is a POS. Plan on replacing it fairly quickly for between $500-$800 for an aftermarket ARB,TJM SLEE etc. Good Luck

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
dep said:
.........Compared to something like the Cherokee the parts are REALLY expensive but they dont break like a cherokee either............

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah, that 4.0L is a total pile. We are well into our second Cherokee's life and will definitely buy another. (185K {sold} and 125 {still own})

Not that I wouldn't buy a LC, but a Cherokee or Grand is not a bad option and MUCHO cheaper.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
solidfrontaxle said:
I consider the FZJ80 to be the best stock off road vehicle ever made. Huge beefy solid full floating axles front and rear with disk brakes, electric lockers, and coil springs. The engine is an ultra torquey 4.5 straight six with available supercharger and the entire vehicle is WAY overbuilt for strength and reliability. To build an awesome trail rig from stock, all you need to replace is the bumpers, tires, and a few suspension components. Most domestic SUVs need nearly everything replaced to make them as tough or capable and will never last as long.

Ditto... :D

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
This is really going to come down to personal preference. Half of the crap you read on the internet is just that... crap.

Id say Cherokee... SUPER reliable, cheap, and easy to build. Anybody that tells you other wise drives a Toyota... Gas mileage is going to blow though.

mowlasley

I say XJ, but if you want to spend money and don't mind the wait, the 2007 Unlimited is going to be 4-door, and looks pretty sweet to me. I hope that will be my next wheeler.

leorn

reset
another vote for the cruiser. no worries on the axles, lots of room, factory selectable lockers. Besides I would hate to deal with the cherokee unibody (frame cracks, doors not shutting). I have buddies with both grand cherokee and XJ. I will have to say that I have seen all options do well off road.