What tires are you running?

Elkhunter96

Is anyone running the Toyo Open Country A/T 10ply on their diesel tow rig? I am looking at them or the Nitto Terra Grappler A/T 10ply, but I hear the Nitto's wear out fast on heavy diesel trucks?

LT.

I have a set of Toyo Open Country AT's but, they are on a Ford Escape that I bought for my ex-wife. I can tell you that they are every bit as good as a BF Goodrich All Terrain in the snow and better in the water and on the highway. In my opinion there is not a better tire company out there for a "jack of all trades, master of none". I currently run BFG's all terrain on my 06 CTD dually in a 315/70/17 size. Good tire, I would not bag on that, just a little soft under such a heavy rig. I don't expect them to last more than 20,000 miles. When I was looking at tires I had narrowed the selection down to three tires. BFG's All Terrain, Goodyear's Wrangler MTR, and Toyo's Open Country MT. I could not afford the Goodyear or the Toyo so I was stuck with the BFG's. I now wish that I had just sucked it up and bought the Toyo's now. The saying goes if you don't have time (or money) to do it right the first time when do you have time (or money) to do it again.

LT.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Is anyone running the Toyo Open Country A/T 10ply on their diesel tow rig? I am looking at them or the Nitto Terra Grappler A/T 10ply, but I hear the Nitto's wear out fast on heavy diesel trucks?

I'm at 40K on my Toyo MTs on my Powerjoke. I've still got at least 15K in them, I'd bet. They're 285, 16" jobbies.

I have a set of Toyo Open Country AT's but, they are on a Ford Escape that I bought for my ex-wife. I can tell you that they are every bit as good as a BF Goodrich All Terrain in the snow and better in the water and on the highway. In my opinion there is not a better tire company out there for a "jack of all trades, master of none". I currently run BFG's all terrain on my 06 CTD dually in a 315/70/17 size. Good tire, I would not bag on that, just a little soft under such a heavy rig. I don't expect them to last more than 20,000 miles. When I was looking at tires I had narrowed the selection down to three tires. BFG's All Terrain, Goodyear's Wrangler MTR, and Toyo's Open Country MT. I could not afford the Goodyear or the Toyo so I was stuck with the BFG's. I now wish that I had just sucked it up and bought the Toyo's now. The saying goes if you don't have time (or money) to do it right the first time when do you have time (or money) to do it again.

LT.

I got 40k out of 295/75r16 BFG AT/KO's on my 9000lb diesel excursion and expect the same out of this set of 315's...unless I swap them with someone for 285's or 295's. I'm guessing a dually weighs about 9000lbs as well.

It was a tough choice between the Toyo's and the BFG's. I sought many opinions, especially among those who had run both. Those that I talked to reported that the BFG was much better in the rain/snow. Some just reported that the Toyo's were scary in the rain/snow whereas I didn't get that at all from the BFG'ers.

Added to my own experience of being with trucks similar to mine that were running BFG's pushed me to the BFG's.

Now having run the BFG's through a couple winters with a LOT of snow driving, I'm happy to report that they flat out kick major booty! I'm not saying the Toyo's don't, cuz I haven't run either the AT or MT, I'm just saying that the BFG's feel like suction cup tires.

mbryson is gonna get 55k out of his set of Toyo's though, and that's a lot, but I don't know at what level of snow performance that last 15k will have. My BFG's had another 5K-10K left of dry pavement and were "ok" in the snow, but I wanted new tires for this winter so I pulled the trigger a little early.

Brett (just did the 5000 mile rotation today)

LT.

I have always had good luck with the BFG's as well. This is why I have a hard time going to another brand. Tires are very expensive (especially when you have to buy six for the truck) and I don't really want to experiment with another brand that will not perform as well as the BFG's. However, in this months issue of 8-Lug Diesel there was an article about the Toyo Open Country AT's installed on a crew cab long bed CTD 4x4 that backs up my previous statement. The Toyo's are a formidable tire in the snow and with a load range E availibility they may be the next set for me. The tire also features mulitipal semi circrumfrencial groves through out the tread. This makes is do well on roads that are wet from rain. Add to that the tires do seem to last longer than the BFG's and we may have a new champ in the all terrain market for big Diesels. I do not want to take away from the BFG's, I run them with great results. I am only saying that sometimes new and untested, at least by me, may be the way to go. My next set, if I can afford the $350.00 a piece, will be the Toyo Open Country MT's in a 35 to 37 inch range.

LT.

Elkhunter96

I currently have BF MTs on the beast and I am tired of the MT road manners. Twice I have purchased vehicles with the BF MTs on them and twice I have not liked them. MTRs on the jeep are great for me, but on a vehicle that is on the pavement 90% of the time, I am leaning towards the Toyo 285 70 17 A/t load range E for the d-max

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I have always had good luck with the BFG's as well. This is why I have a hard time going to another brand. Tires are very expensive (especially when you have to buy six for the truck) and I don't really want to experiment with another brand that will not perform as well as the BFG's. However, in this months issue of 8-Lug Diesel there was an article about the Toyo Open Country AT's installed on a crew cab long bed CTD 4x4 that backs up my previous statement. The Toyo's are a formidable tire in the snow and with a load range E availibility they may be the next set for me. The tire also features mulitipal semi circrumfrencial groves through out the tread. This makes is do well on roads that are wet from rain. Add to that the tires do seem to last longer than the BFG's and we may have a new champ in the all terrain market for big Diesels. I do not want to take away from the BFG's, I run them with great results. I am only saying that sometimes new and untested, at least by me, may be the way to go. My next set, if I can afford the $350.00 a piece, will be the Toyo Open Country MT's in a 35 to 37 inch range.

LT.

I've got a neighbor that's sponsored by Toyo. He runs Toyo MTs on his Powerjoke (7.3L) and feels similarly to me about the MTs. He put the ATs on his wife's Tahoe (maybe it's a Sub?) last winter and thinks they are a MUCHO better snow tire.

I'm not saying that the Toyo MTs ROCK in the snow, but they certainly aren't bad. I probably only USE the MTs 5-6 times per year (where an AT would kind of be a pain) and my truck really hasn't missed a beat with the MTs on it. I think I did lose at least 1 mpg due to the MT tread vs. the Cooper ATs I had on the truck when I bought it. I think it's a great tire for an 8000 lb truck. I would like something a little quieter on the road, but it's not like my '99 pickup gets high marks for quiet.

I have trouble doing doughnuts in the snow in the parking lot without using 3/4 or better throttle. Excellent snow traction for an MT tire, IMHO.

I've got a set of Toyos for the Jeep. I don't like them quite as much on the Jeep as I like them on the truck. They seem like they're pretty tough buggers, though (I somehow cut into a sidewall pretty bad--you can see cords--no issues with leaking air). It's not really a fair comparison to other tires as I bought those with 40-30% tread.

I'm not sure if I'll buy the Toyos again or not. They really have served me very well, but that 1 mpg is looking pretty nice with fuel costs. I'm seriously considering the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. Very mild AT type tread with two big 'aqua channel' type sections (I've had that on some Wrangler AT/S before and was QUITE impressed, even in mud) and a TOUGH carcass (from what I hear) that was built for diesel/HD pickups. My only problem with those is I don't know anyone running them that really uses their truck other than on the highway.

rokrash

I have run both the Nitto Terra Grapler and now the Dick Cepek FCII, both in a 315-75/16.
The Nitto melted away in front of my eyes. I do not remember what type of mileage I got out of them, but it was not good.
The FCII's have been a great all-terrain tire. I bought them as blems and two of them are out of round (I am an idiot and did not take them back. . .yet) but I am affraid to take them back because they are such a good tire that I do not want to replace them with "just another tire" since the shop that I got them from does not have any more currently on hand. I have 34,000 miles on them and there is more than plenty of tire left. I have wanted to measure them to see what % is left, but do not have a gauge. I think that if these were not out of round, they would be the perfect choice!