What to do with free 14 bolt rear end

TigerStripe40

Arrogant Bastard
I will be getting a free GM 14 bolt Full floater rear end and rims for helping a buddy install a redneck ram on his 4Runner.

I don't know much about these axles, other than they are heavy, and VERY beefy. They have 8 lugs, this one is a 10.5" ring gear. And will either have a 4.11 R+P or a 4.56 R+P

What should I do with this?

I am thinking about putting either a Toy mini t-case or a Dana 300 behind my SM420 and running this axle when I do an SOA. I realize that these things are larger than my Cruiser rear end. But hey, I got a free Full Floater axle! I Was thinking about doing a 14 bolt shave ala pirate style, setting it up with RDB's etc.

how much can I expect to get for this axle if I decide to sell it?
Hoe much can I expect to get for my Cruiser rear end if I decide to keep it?

What is the WMS measurement on an 1985 GM 14 bolt axle?
Can I get spacers for my frotn axle to match the width of the rear?

Thanks!
-James

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
TigerStripe40 said:
I will be getting a free GM 14 bolt Full floater rear end and rims for helping a buddy install a redneck ram on his 4Runner.

I don't know much about these axles, other than they are heavy, and VERY beefy. They have 8 lugs, this one is a 10.5" ring gear. And will either have a 4.11 R+P or a 4.56 R+P

What should I do with this?

I am thinking about putting either a Toy mini t-case or a Dana 300 behind my SM420 and running this axle when I do an SOA. I realize that these things are larger than my Cruiser rear end. But hey, I got a free Full Floater axle! I Was thinking about doing a 14 bolt shave ala pirate style, setting it up with RDB's etc.

how much can I expect to get for this axle if I decide to sell it?
Hoe much can I expect to get for my Cruiser rear end if I decide to keep it?

What is the WMS measurement on an 1985 GM 14 bolt axle?
Can I get spacers for my frotn axle to match the width of the rear?

Thanks!
-James

It's not worth a lot. They go for $100 all the time (and I've got a shaved version in the 'For Sale' for $150), but they are SOLID, HEAVY diff. The worst thing about them is the weight and the profile. Another 'uncool' thing is the gear selection available (only up to 5.13). They do have alternate bolt-pattern hubs available (I think 6 on 5.5" is available)---do a search on PBB.

Lockers have recently become available (ARB and I think an Eaton Electrac), but the carrier is beefy enough that there's been a 'lunchbox' Detroit locker available for years. 14 bolts are usually 67.5" but can be different depending on the source (van or cab & chassis are different).

More information than you'd ever want available on Billavista's 14 bolt bible in the PBB (www.pirate4x4.com) tech section.

You're on your own with the spacers............

KToy

love my 14 rear end and i have not shaved the bottom yet. need 40's to clear the rear diff.

mine was the HD axle out of a 77 suburban. came stock with 4:11 gears and a detroit rear locker.

now i got the 5:13 gears and i like it even more.

yes they are heavy
yes they drag on rocks
yes they are limited on gears and lockers.

but
yes they have tons of unsprung weight
yes they make ur rig a lot more stable cuz of width and wieght.
yes ur most likely not going to break anything, and if u do break an axle. its about a 3 minute job to replace it.

i love my rear axle. seen ppl run the new 49 inch iroks on that axle with stock axle shafts and didnt break an axle shaft.

as for front i use the d44 out of the same suburban. maybe u should get a front axle to match or get a custom houseing made for ur front LC axle or just some spaces.

my wbs is 67 just so ya know.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
You should buy a big truck to put it in!

I love the 14bolt, they're pretty easy to work on, the Detroit is cheap and burly for it, they're strong, heavy, have 1/2" housing tube, etc etc.

On the other hand, they have a huge friggin' lip, they're really heavy and big, and locker selection is somewhat limited. SOMEWHAT. Billavista's page is indeed very good for massive amounts of information. They're not worth much as GM used them in about every 3/4 and up from time immemorial till like, last year or something.

I am going to plate mine from the lip to the pinion and see how that works. That little experiment is in a big ambulance so I'm not so worried about clearance. If THAT won't go over, the obstacle is too big for an M725 and I should not be there hahahaha

ace

Parts Collector
Tacoma said:
They're not worth much as GM used them in about every 3/4 and up from time immemorial till like, last year or something.

Theyr'e still using them on big block gas pickups and suburbans :greg:

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
I also agree with the above. Not only that but the locker set up can be done by any average handy man with average tools. Crane also has a bullet proof diff cover available for it too since the cover is quite large and can be a bit of a "bumper" on the rocks at times. :D

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
ace said:
Theyr'e still using them on big block gas pickups and suburbans :greg:

yah, the new AAM stuff is interesting looking. I want to see one of their front ends somewhere.... Rears look beefy enough.

R

rockdog

they are heavy for sure. they can be ground down on the bottom quite a bit. did that on mine , it isn't a fourteen bolt anymore, now it's a thirteen bolt :rofl: if you want to go full width on your cruiser it's a cheap and strong way to go. if your going to narrow it, i think i'd pick something else.