What to do with my leaf springs

Kramnden

I have an issue with the 2" lift I put on. 1st off, it was a budget boost lift so it's only temporary and it only cost me $100. I got a 2" coil spacer for my coil springs up front, and a 2" shackle for my leaf springs in the rear. In the front I got about 2". In the rear, I got about 1" because my leaf springs were completely horizontal and are now negatively arced. I would like to get them re-arced but I heard that weakens them. Any advice?:confused:

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
Im in the same boat. Got the Teraflex shackles and am actually lower then stock:mad:

If it were me, which it sort of is. I would take the extended shackles off and use an aal instead.

Kramnden

Aint Skeered: Why take off the extended shackles? Do you think the add-a-leaf will add too much with them on? (I through my old ones away anyway.)
Marc: What are RE springs?

morty

Head full of rocks
If you get a add-a-leaf get the full length ones, I had the half length on my cherokee, when they flexed the original portion of the spring would do all the bending and the portion that the had the add-a-leaf would stay to shape causing your springs to make a funky shape, later the springs weakend and kept that funky shape resulting in new rear spring packs, the full length leafs are not that more than the half length ones.

click on link

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynamic/mainpage.asp?folderid=773

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Ran the long adds in Angie's for a long time, I know Mbryson ran them forever too. But after a while the main leaf will start to bend around the add a leaf....

Yep, Rubicon Express, I was very happy with them, combined with the extended shackles.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
rckcrlr said:
Ran the long adds in Angie's for a long time, I know Mbryson ran them forever too. But after a while the main leaf will start to bend around the add a leaf....

Yep, Rubicon Express, I was very happy with them, combined with the extended shackles.

Yep.......... I think the extended shackles are the key.

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
The extended shackles put extra leverage on the springs, think breaker bar. They work great with stiffer aftermarket liftsprings, but the stock XJ springs are subpar with them. If you want the 4" or so with an AAL and the shackles go for it. I was assuming that you wanted to keep the 2" lift for now.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
AINT SKEERED said:
The extended shackles put extra leverage on the springs, think breaker bar. They work great with stiffer aftermarket liftsprings, but the stock XJ springs are subpar with them. If you want the 4" or so with an AAL and the shackles go for it. I was assuming that you wanted to keep the 2" lift for now.

:confused:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
AINT SKEERED said:

I thought my stock with add-a-leaf and extended shackle was a pretty good match. I was pretty happy with it.

Kramnden

AINT SKEERED said:

You are correct. I did want to keep the 2" lift for now. That was the concern I had. If I add a 2" full length aal in the rear, theoretically, wouldn't that give me 4"? It may or may not, but I don't want 3 1/2" - 4" lift in the rear and a 2" in the front. I may just get blocks to satisfy the look for now until I can afford a "real lift".:p