What to look for in a Land Cruiser

audiofreak97

I fixed the #3 misfire with a new head on my 1997 Tacoma, and this weekend #6 let go (no compression). I've just about had it with this engine. I love the Tacoma, gets me anywhere and I hate to lose it but I need something reliable and winter worthy. I had to drive my 280zx this last winter with no heater and the salt took it's toll on the undercarriage.

So time to look for something 4 door, 4 wheel drive, and able to run trails (Rattlesnake and Forest Lake for example).

I'm looking at a 1990's land cruiser and I'm wondering if the reliability to make it a year or two without much more then oil changes and capability compared to my Tacoma with a rear locker and 31/33 inch tires.

Do they overheat while driving down the trail? Are they prone to blow head gaskets like the 3.0 v6 of the early years? Is it going to be the reliable daily driver that I'm looking for, or should I look elsewhere?

I'm tossing around the idea of a 2000'ish 4 runner and a 90's 80 series. Thoughts?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
That sucks, the 3.4 is supposed to be a very reliable motor. How many miles are on it?

If I had a nice Tacoma that I liked, I'd look into a JDM motor or something before I thought about tossing it for another used vehicle with an unknown set of problems.

audiofreak97

Yeah. A new set of problems is the main worry I've got. I want a back seat for comfortable wheeling trips with the family.

I'm mainly just frustrated with the 6 months down 6 months up with this truck. The engine has 180,000, and I won't lie, I flogged on this truck in it's earlier days. Ask anyone back in the UT-TTORA days. I want to keep the truck, get it back on the road and use it to bash on the rocks with but I kind of want a good 4 door wheeler for the family. So the debate in my head goes on...

I forgot to mention the transmission has been rebuilt twice now... just to add to the list of problems

Kevin B.

We have a '99 4Runner with the 3.4, it's coming up on 210k and needs a timing belt/water pump job but the compression is great. If you can find a 3rd gen with a decent maintenance record, I'd jump on it. It got a lot smaller inside when we added the second kid, but it's still plenty big enough for day trips and overnighters.

I've been thinking hard on a Landcruiser myself, a 60 or 80. I wouldn't plan on anything over 15 years old not needing some maintenance though - you might get lucky, or you might get into a worse money pit than you've got now.

sixstringsteve

I'm surprised to hear you're not getting more miles out of that motor. Coco on here had a 3.4 with 340k, on 37s, daily driver, weekend wheeler with zero issues.

I imagine any motor that's been flogged for 188k will be tired, even a land cruiser motor.

Shameless plug for my truck that's for sale. I'd lower the price a bit if you were in a position to buy. It's been extremely well maintained and I have zero worries about it lasting another 230k without any major issues.

Last edited:

audiofreak97

Steve, I would love your truck. It's a perfect example of what an IFS Tacoma should be. I just don't know if I can swing it with the bank.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
80 series are great. Although few they do have some drawbacks mostly poor fuel milage and it can be tough to find one for a decent price that doesn't have a million miles. The earlier years had the 3FE while it is an outstanding motor it's down on power compared to the more desirable 1FZ. Pretty sure every 1FZ will need a head gasket sooner or later. The PHH (pesky heater hoses) is another thing to google.

If it was me I would buy the latest 80 series you can afford. You'll gain rear disk brakes, OBDII, floating rear axle and the 1FZ.

audiofreak97

The price range is the Ford Taurus price range of at max 6000.

Need 4x4 with low range, 4 door, rear locker would be a huge plus, six cylinder high MPG v8, IFS or solid axle doesn't matter as long as it can take on the rocks on the weekend and make it to work for the week. I'd like to stay away from the amercian big 3

sixstringsteve

hm... that's going to be tough at that price. I think a 3rd gen 4runner is your only real option. That or an XJ. Neither of them get what I would consider "high" mpg. Maybe a trooper or montero?

audiofreak97

Thanks Rot Box, that's some good info!
I'm going to look at a 91 cruiser after work today. Sounds like I want to look at the 93 and up though. What about rust issues? It looks the body seems to rust like the old pickups from some of the ads I've looked at, but is there anywhere hidden I should be looking for?

Kevin B.

The price range is the Ford Taurus price range of at max 6000.

Need 4x4 with low range, 4 door, rear locker would be a huge plus, six cylinder high MPG v8, IFS or solid axle doesn't matter as long as it can take on the rocks on the weekend and make it to work for the week. I'd like to stay away from the amercian big 3

You can find a decent 4Runner under $6000. Cherokee or GC too. What about a Pathfinder/Rodeo or Trooper? I bet some of them come in under $5000, and some have fun lockery options. You said no Big Three, but a second gen Ford Explorer with the 4.0 is exactly what you're asking for except for the rear locker, and there's plenty of aftermarket options for the 8.8 axle.

audiofreak97

Actually a Cherokee might be an option... not sure on reliability on them though. Exploder would be a last resort if it started snowing and I haven't fixed my vehicle situation.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Find a clean 98-00 full size Montero with the winter package(not the Sport), they seat 7 and are more built from the factory than ANYTHING in its class, in stock form it's a more capable rig than the 4-runner and you can pick them up cheaper. 33's fit without any lift and the factory rear air locker will get you where you need to go. Aftermarket support is not nearly as vast as the Jeep/Toyota bunch but they really don't need much.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I always stopped looking because they were more expensive than a Scout, Jeep, Bronco, or Blazer but now you can spend $50,000 on a Jeep so keep looking and follow Kurt's advice.

audiofreak97

I test drove a couple land cruisers and decided they weren't for me... but I found an 01 4Runner that was. Thanks all for the info and help!