What to look for in a mid 80's landcruiser wagon...??

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
OK I found a car that I have always admires...a mid 80s landcruiser wagon I believe it is an FJ-60 or something...not sure of what the tech name is for them but the body is in decent condition, the interior is suprisingly good for the vintage and it has 170k on it. I know nothing else, not even price because the car lot was not open at the time of my visit this morning. What should I be on the lookout for besides body cancer?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
There are a few different changes made to an FJ60 over the 6-7 years they them. In 87' they turned into a FJ62 which basically said they had the newer 3F engine, newer ones were fuel injected. They also would have had an automatic tranny. FJ62's also had the turned front end that allows for a springover with out as much need for a knuckle rotation, the front axle also would be trussed much like an 85' mini front end.

As for the changes in the FJ60, pretty much none mechanically. In 84 the transmission changed to h42 w/extension housing rather than a H42 without an extension housing. if you find one with the extension housing, it will make it a direct 5 speed swap if you want to. Also drivelines changed a bit with the longer tranny. Preferably you will want one with the cv style front driveline. These are great drivelines (I run them front and rear on my 40). They can extend at better angles than the mini-cv's and hold up really well.

Another plus is AC, not all 60's had them as I recall, but they will all have power steering.

PM if you need any more info...

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
He is asking 4500 and he told me to make him an offer, I don't think I would go over 3K to be on the safe side. It is FI with air and the 4 speed. I didn't look at the front axle very closely to see if it is trussed or not. I do know that it would take some motor work because it is running really rich and might be missing on one cylinder. I might have to pass on this one due to mechanical issues in the motor. It has 178k on it with no sign of a rebuild...and I didn't check the AC to see if it works either. The body is pretty straight with only a little bot of rust on the rear fender flare areas. The interior is pretty clean besides some cigg burns on the drivers seat but it DOES NOT smell like smoke which is a bonus. It pulls reasonably strong but it is a heavy beast with not that sporty of a motor. I do think it would need a clutch job also because either the pilot or throwout sound really noisy. the clutch bites just fine. the low range works as I used it to pull onto this small concrete incline. What should I offer the guy, I don't know how serious I am because it does have a ton of miles and it is on one of those mexican "SUCKER" lots that I despise, but i have been eyeballing older cruisers for some time now.....see for yourselves.
cruiser_odo.jpg

cruiser_ext.jpg

cruiser_int.jpg

cruiser_eng.jpg

Last edited:

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
A friend of mine has one in similar shape, fewer miles I think. It is red with an OME lift. I am not sure what she wants for it, but I could find out if you are interested.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
What year is it? I can tell by the headlights that it is a FJ60, but I'm not sure what vintage...

The truck does look really clean...interior is in good shape judging on the picture.:D