What to use as a donor

utfireman

I have a 95 YJ, with the 4cylinder, and manual transmission. I am wanting to get a donor vechile since I want to go to a V8 with an auto. I had a dana 44 front and dana 60 year lined up for axles but I am thinking the 14 bolt is the way to go now. What make and model of vechile has the V8 and auto and a 14 rear. Am I looking at a surbuban or blazer for a donor. Of course it would be out of a 87 or newer.

Chevycrew

You can get any 87 or newer chevy 1 ton or heavy 3/4 ton and that will have the 14bolt and a fuel injected engine. (unless you get into the 2000 and newer trucks)

But you will have to get the 44 front from a 70's chevy

87-91 Heavy 3/4 ton and 1 ton suburbans will have an 8 lug 10 bolt front, with 14 bolt rear, and fuel injected.

cheepin

Like said most post '80 3/4ton's had the Semifloating 14bolt in in the 80's.You will most likely need to source the parts separately or find a complete '87-'91 1ton.I am using a '88 1 ton for parts for my '70 Jeepster.My '87 3/4 ton Sub. has the 10bolt front and semifloating 14 bolt rear.

Last edited:

utfireman

front axle

Is the ten bolt a decent axle or would I be better off going with the Dana 44 that I was planning on using. I only plan on running 37's.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
My Neighbor has a 8 lug 10 bolt front and a 14 bolt rear for sale. He wants 150 for both. 3.73 gears.

Get those then find a motor and your set!

10 bolt and a dana 44 are the same strength wise.