What tool/tools for $200?

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
So my wife just asked me what tools I need. There is never a simple answer to that one is there. I need and want a lot of tools. She put a $200 limit on it which is fine. I really want some ideas to give her but I also want her to feel like they sort of came from her. I can't think of a special occasion other than just me coming home finally. I'm guessing she has been hiding money from me and it wouldn't be the first time this has happened, she really is a sweet lady.

So I've pretty much got all I "need" as far as wrenching on the Jeep. I have my bench grinder, angle grinder, vise and an air compressor. Basic tools are pretty much taken care of as far as any bigger purchases would go. I could always use a bigger selection of combo wrenches.

I suppose I could always use a chop saw or drill press. Specialty tools are kind of hard to justify without actually needing them at the time. But I guess this is just kind of a "you don't need this but lets get it anyway" kind of deal.

I could list all sorts of stuff for the TJ like recovery equipment I need and other things for the Jeep but I think she wants to keep it to tools for me that can be used on the Jeep but more just for me.

So any input would be appreciated. I'm never any good at the "Here's 200 bones lets go get you something" because there are just too many things I want. I think I just need to come up with a list of stuff I need or want and let her run with it.

I'll start a list here and add to it as you wonderfully helpful people help me out.

Chop Saw
Drill Press
More combo wrenches
Hi-Lift
Recovery Strap/straps
Cordless Impact
Impact Sockets
Pivot head ratchet wrenches
Port-A-Band
Vacuum Pump
Jack Stands(I have little ones)
Hydraulic Press
Brass punches

Alright that's all that's coming to mind right now, I did just get off a 12 hour shift so my brain is fried.

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Chop Saw
Drill Press

Two of the things I'd have a hard time living without. I'd keep those high on the list. :cool:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
x2, in that order too.

Another I use almost daily, cordless drill.

I've got the cordless drill and sawzall covered. I'd have a hard time picking up a chop saw over a drill press mainly because I know I would use the drill press more. At least I think I would, but there have been times where I would have given anything to not have to use the angle grinder when a saw would have cut the work down tremendously.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Well how's about that Lowes has a Dewalt chop saw for $199.

So Lisa might actually log on here tomorrow and put her first post up here.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
There's so many tools out there that come to mind, but out of all those tools I have used and/or bought over the years there is one item that always stands out time and time again. Its one thing that I don't know how I ever lived without and even this morning I was thinking about how happy I am that I own one....

A vacuum pump ;) It makes bleeding brakes FUN! I bought the $40 special from Vatozone. Without a doubt the best money I've ever spent!

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
On the cheaper end. A couple of years back for Christmas my wife got me some rachet wrenches. They are just craftsman but I love them and use them a ton! I think at the time they were $50.

Good luck coming home. Thanks for what you do.

sixstringsteve

Do you have a welder yet? I know that a welder is way above the $200 range, but if you don't have one, it'll be worth saving the $200 and putting it towards a welder someday.

If you already have a welder, then I vote for:

1) Drill press (get an old huge one)
2) cheap abrasive chop saw ($100-130)
3) those huge orange jackstands from Harbor Freight
4) a good jack
5) a good set of pry bars and chisels from harbor freight

and the few things I can't live without now:
- a deep socket impact set - $70 from home depot, best purchase ever
- a cordless impact gun
- ratchet wrenches w/pivot head
- a set of brass punches
- chisels/pry bars from HF
- BFH
- big rubber mallet
- big c-clamps
- wood clamps - the big ones that are like 2 feet long

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Chop Saw.
78.jpg

you need an inside track membership, but I'll let you use my card if you want ;)
buy the extended warranty. You'll be fine.

I don't know how, but I've gotten away with everything I've fabbed without a drill press. It's high on my list, along with a cordless Impact.

or

Save a little more and get a welder.

R

rockdog

On the cheaper end. A couple of years back for Christmas my wife got me some rachet wrenches. They are just craftsman but I love them and use them a ton! I think at the time they were $50.

Good luck coming home. Thanks for what you do.

I'll second this. If you don't have a set of these in metric and sae. You will wonder how you ever got along without them. Mine are gear wrench bought at Sears. Don't get the ones that have the switch to change direction. These might be the most used tools in my box.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have the gear wrench sockets and wrenches and love them both... I would be in the market for a 20 ton press like Kiel said.... always in need of a press....

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Do you have a welder yet? I know that a welder is way above the $200 range, but if you don't have one, it'll be worth saving the $200 and putting it towards a welder someday. - Well see if that's an option.

If you already have a welder, then I vote for:

1) Drill press (get an old huge one)
2) cheap abrasive chop saw ($100-130)
3) those huge orange jackstands from Harbor Freight- Need
4) a good jack-Done
5) a good set of pry bars and chisels from harbor freight- Done

and the few things I can't live without now:
- a deep socket impact set - $70 from home depot, best purchase ever- Need
- a cordless impact gun- Need
- ratchet wrenches w/pivot head- Need
- a set of brass punches- Need
- chisels/pry bars from HF- Done
- BFH- Done
- big rubber mallet- Done
- big c-clamps- Done
- wood clamps - the big ones that are like 2 feet long- Done

- I could use more ratchet wrenches

Personally, I'd put a Port-A-band above on the list over a chop saw. - Port-A-Band would be awesome

Chop Saw.
78.jpg

you need an inside track membership, but I'll let you use my card if you want ;)
buy the extended warranty. You'll be fine.

I don't know how, but I've gotten away with everything I've fabbed without a drill press. It's high on my list, along with a cordless Impact.- I can get by without for sure, I always have but it sure would be nice. I hate my plug in impact but it works. I will have to go ahead and sign up for the inside track, I've been meaning to anyway, I shop there enough that I need to do it.

or

Save a little more and get a welder.- I really do need a welder

It's amazing how much stuff you realize you don't have when people start throwing out ideas. So many things here I wouldn't have even thought of. Thanks guys.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
when do you get back in town? I only ask so I can start scoping out KSL for ya

Well I can't give a date, at the very least someone will read it and we will get pushed back more than we already have. At the very worst somebody who we really don't want to know will read it and something bad could happen. But it will be fairly soon, before the end of the month. After which I will be taking a full month off work.

I need to get on KSL too for more than just Jeep stuff. I get on there everyday and pretty much search for the same random stuff and go to the same sections to see what is new but I have neglected the tool section.

And thanks Steve. I really appreciate you looking out.

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
if you are going to get impact sockets just get the ones from HF they have a lifetime warranty and i have never seen one of their 1/2 inch ones break even when using a 3/4 inch gun that is rated at 1200 foot pounds. i have broken the 3/8's but then again there is a warranty so no problem there.

there impact adapters and extensions are great as well

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
if you are going to get impact sockets just get the ones from HF they have a lifetime warranty and i have never seen one of their 1/2 inch ones break even when using a 3/4 inch gun that is rated at 1200 foot pounds. i have broken the 3/8's but then again there is a warranty so no problem there.

there impact adapters and extensions are great as well

Agreed...I have yet to break a Harbor Freight impact socket.