What tool/tools for $200?

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Agreed...I have yet to break a Harbor Freight impact socket.

X3 I love that place. Any kind of basic hand tool, I couldn't justify spending more on them somewhere else. My grinder and impact wrench have never let me down. I do end up needing to replace pry bars and screw drivers every now and again but they are just so cheap so it's really no bid deal.

The only thing that I've ever been disappointed in was a timing light a friend bought and it just wouldn't work but you just should not purchase precision electronics there.

My father in law got me a $200 gift card for HF one year and Sears on another year for Christmas. The HF card went much further in getting me tools that I really needed but hadn't gotten around to buying yet. The sears card was great for some stuff I needed to actually spend good money on to make sure it would last. Wally is a great guy, the first time I met him was at a car show, after which we went to his house and drank beer and made fun of his son. Those two don't get along so Wally and I hit it off pretty good. I think this year he sent a $200 card for The Home Depot.

I'm still waiting on the wife to log in and look at this. She said she would but I'm guessing she is in bed by this point.

Toad

You need the ultimate automotive tool. It is just a bit over your 200.00 budget :) . A hoist. Get at least one rated for 10 k. It is the best tool you will ever own.

limadu0712

well, it'll still be a secret til you get home, Dukit. haha i was on the snap-on website because they are always using those on that show you watch...with that Ian and Jesse Extreme 4X4? It's been a while since I've watched it. Anyways, is snap-on REALLY better than other tools?

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
. Anyways, is snap-on REALLY better than other tools?

i own a lot of snap on tools and i would say that some of there stuff is the best you can get and most of it is just plain overpriced. i cant justify spending $300 on a set of wrenches, but they have the best snap ring pliers, pry bars and a few other things that you can buy. plus they are the one of the few companys that will warranty taps and dies, even thought they cost a lot its nice to know you wont have to buy another if it breaks. i think they build the best tool box as well.

limadu0712

Okay, so I was doing a little HF research and I'm wondering why there's such a significant change in price on drill presses that are 12 speed and 16 speed. Brian is the damn Tim Taylor of "power tools" and even manages to hurt himself once or twice a weekend in the garage. Could we go with the 12 speed for $129 as opposed to the 16 speed for $240?

And if it's worth it to have a free standing drill press, I'd rather save up some more than get a bench top one...here's why. Brian has a beautiful workbench covered with a nice aluminum plating and he barely has enough room to work up there as it is.

As for chop saws, I haven't done any research on those yet. Who, besides Brian, is going to help me out here...because we all know he's going to explain the most high powered, beautiful machine that costs more than a mortgage payment. I will keep up with KSL, but there wont be any promises before he gets home...

limadu0712

Swoop69

I like HF for stuff with nonmoving parts (or very few). Their impact sockets and jack stands are great. Their sawzall is crap.... I didn't see this in your list, but a high lift jack is crucial! I would also suggest a large breaker bar, pry bars, and of course a few BFH's.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I'd recommend something like this:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=15156878&cat=226&lpid=&search=drill press

I have an old craftsman, and it's big, but there's nothing I haven't been able to drill with it. And I got it for $100.

I do like that one Steve. I even have a perfect spot in the garage for it. And like Lisa said, I have a decent sized work bench but it's already crowded with my Miter Saw, Vise and bench grinder. A standing drill press would be ideal.

I like HF for stuff with nonmoving parts (or very few). Their impact sockets and jack stands are great. Their sawzall is crap.... I didn't see this in your list, but a high lift jack is crucial! I would also suggest a large breaker bar, pry bars, and of course a few BFH's.

I do need a hi-lift, but that's going to get done with the Jeep money I have budgeted. I've got a few HF breaker bars, pry bars and BFH's hanging around the garage. You really can't beat HF for stuff like that. As far as power tools I wouldn't buy any without a recommendation. I've never been let down by my angle grinder and I've had that thing almost three years now. The HF impact wrench I have gets the lighter jobs done but it's corded and can be a little weak at times.

I will be making a trip out to HF when I get home at some point and hopefully pick up a few essentials at one of the upcoming sales.